GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace the reserve coolant tank on my 2013 GW Road Smith. The right side of the tank has a leak where it looks like it was struck by something. Now I'm convinced that I should install a belly pan. Anyone with a Road Smith have any suggestions for a brand of belly pan?

·
Registered
716 Posts
There are several sources out there. All will protect the bottom of the engine and that tank. Make sure you get the split version so you can get to the oil filter and drain plug without having to remove the entire belly pan.

I had road debris damage the coolant tank on my '01 many many years ago and have had belly pan installed of all three GL1800s I've owned since that incident. Have ridden well over 200,000 miles since.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I have the Tulsa two-piece. Its been on my bike since 2005 and has worked out really well. Bottom of my engine looks like a baby's butt. I like the Dzuz fasteners a lot for removing the front piece.

·
Registered
647 Posts
--

When I ruptured my tank (I think it was the tank--it was some time ago), it was because I dragged it loading it up the trailer ramp. That spot gets real close to all bikes, but most loaders don't think about it.

I got the belly pan.

--

·
Registered
81 Posts
This past spring we ordered a belly pan for our 2010 Goldwing CSC Trike from WingStuff.com
Came pretty fast and had it installed within a half hour. Drove all three tires up on car ramps and it worked slick to install the belly pan. Also do this to change oil and filter.
This is a split belly pan too.
Here is what we ordered:
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 WS187416BK Performance Black Vented Belly Pan $94.99

·
Registered
880 Posts
Did you cut a notch in the slots so you can install and take it off easier if needed?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Installed my Wingstuff $94.99 two-piece vented belly pan yesterday on my 16 Wing. Never really thought of the need for a belly pan until just recently when I read about it here. I group ride weekly and we travel the twisties with lots of gravel, which means I have been very lucky not to have damaged my bike-belly, especially its coolant tank. Like Indianawantsme, I cut notches midway in the slots and then slid it backwards to lock it in. Easy on-easy off for service. Now Mr. Wing and I have peace of mind :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Trike Belly pan

Anyone have a belly pan on a Trike with running boards (Mine's a MotorTrike)
Do the running boards make it difficult to put on the belly pan?

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I have a Roadsmith Trike, with a belly pan as well as a running board..... Like an above post mentioned BE SURE you get the two piece belly pan this will save you lots of extra work having to remove and then replace that pan everytime you change oil and filter ................

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Anyone have a belly pan on a Trike with running boards (Mine's a MotorTrike)
Do the running boards make it difficult to put on the belly pan?

I have the Tulsa two-piece belly pan and have no problem getting the front piece off to do oil & filter changes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Tulsa two-piece belly pan and have no problem getting the front piece off to do oil & filter changes.
I bought and received a SS Champion that I bought off fleebay total with tax was ~$75.00. I have not installed it yet and probably won't for a while.
I thought it was a good price so I accidentally purchased it. LOL I seem to do that a lot.
I opened it and it looked good. It was made in China according to the box.
Champion's name (from CT) appears on the shipping label
Yes it has very sharp edges. "Wear glove" !!!!!!!!!
Bubber

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have read that no you do not need to slot holes. some have slotted, some have not.
Dzus should not rattle because they work by binding. I have not read that anyone claimed they rattle but one did complain that they lost at least one of the Dzus fasteners
I have not installed mine yet so no personal knowledge on the installation or the rattle.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Judging by the hits my Belly Pan has taken over the years, I am very glad I've had it. Like 05nwl I have a Tulsa. But any two piece Belly Pan is an excellent idea.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Do the ones with the Dzus Fasteners rattle?

can anyone explain this or have pictures?
No, they don't rattle. Mine has a front section with a small rubber strip that lays on the front lower cowl. When fastened, the combined pressure of it pressed against the cowl, the rear belly pan section, and the slack which is removed by locking the fasteners, eliminates any rattle there might have been.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Do the ones with the Dzus Fasteners rattle?

can anyone explain this or have pictures?
The holes in the belly pan are drilled so they match the bolts on your Goldwing... So w/o cutting a notch on the holes you'd have to totally remove all the bolts to attach it to your bike....When you have a notch cut out, all you have to do is JUST LOOSEN the bolts and slide your B/pan in and the tighten them back down..BE SURE TO GET THE TWO PIECE PAN so all you have to do to change oil/filter is UNscrew two screws and take off front section only (maybe an extra 3 minute job)......

Ronnie
ps:
I took a look at my B/pan this morning, and I have to say that it looks like WW3 under there, and I totally baby my bike, and never ride it where it could damage the underbelly, So I honest feel it's $$ spent well worth it....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had front fender extension on my 1500. Dealer wouldn't mount it on my 1800 due to cracking issues and liability. I put a belly pan on and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am about to replace the reserve coolant tank on my 2013 GW Road Smith. The right side of the tank has a leak where it looks like it was struck by something. Now I'm convinced that I should install a belly pan. Anyone with a Road Smith have any suggestions for a brand of belly pan?
Good time to get 4 new acorn nuts and the heat resistant washers they use. When you install the back part of your new pan you'll maybe find the old nuts and washers corroded beyond restoration. There will never be a better time to change 'em out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts