GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, recent GL owner, tech skill level, knowledge -1:? but learning so much here. WingStuff advertised a Stainless Steel 2pc Belly Pan w/Oversize Fasteners.
Is this something I should have on my ride to protect underneath her and if so why would Honda leave exposed unerparts ("exposed engine case and plastic coolant tank underneath from harmful road debris") exposed to potential damage?:shrug:

Thanks for any replies,

Lonestarr GL1800 '08

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i made a small 2x6 deflector that went in ft of the overflow can,never had a problem in 85000 miles,,,you will hear a ton of folks that either could not miss road debris or never saw it in the first place!!!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have hit some things that I either didn't see or saw too late. It rattled down the pan and made me cringe. Can't tell you if it saved anything or just increased the noise, but it isnt a pain to put on, only takes a few seconds to remove and replace when I change the oil, and isnt very expensive. SOOOOO why not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You are going to get many opinions on this. Many will say how it saved their wing from damage while others will say it traps in the heat and does damage to your engine at low speeds. You will also read that it helps during strong crosswinds.

I have one on and believe it helps. The last time I went down a gravel road, the pan was constantly getting hit with rocks. Glad I had it on.

You might consider one of the new two piece models that are louvered to help with heat. I don't have a louvered model and have never had any overheating problems on my '06.

If cost is a factor, the coolant tank handmade cover would also work since that is the main thing that can fail down there.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
you will hear a ton of folks that either could not miss road debris or never saw it in the first place!!!
Or from those who have ridden to Alaska on Canadian road construction, 16 mile sections of loose, large gravel. Yes, you can see it. No, you cannot miss it. Yes, the pan was a benefit there. I installed it and headlight guards for the trip and just left them on after that trip. They don't not seem to hurt anything and have already paid for theirselves. Yes, the "skid plate" was scratched and dented and yes, a headlight cover was cracked by a flying rock. And no, I do not believe that the plate helps in side winds.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Is this something I should have on my ride to protect underneath her and if so why would Honda leave exposed unerparts

Yes! and I dont know.:?:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes to belly pan

I've put them on my and my wife's 1500, and we believe that it lessens the effect of crosswinds (the Tulsa's sure help too). I put one on my '08 not only because of the wind management, but to protect the radiator overflow container. Inexpensive insurance!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
just to be contrary and balance all the glowing reports, I'll answer the second part of your question ... Honda still does not see the need for belly pans or fork braces, among other VITALLY IMPORTANT things folks bolt on. Considering how many farkles they sell now that used to be just aftermarket ... it makes one wonder just how critical they are.
JMHO, YMMV
I put some 60,000 on the OrangeCrush before she got totalled, and the tank survived a deer impact and it's fatal crash ... as well as those 60,000 miles in the US and Canada completely intact.
I will not be installing a fork brace or a belly pan on the '09 either.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I installed one after knocking a hole in the reservoir. The bike did not get hot in 100*+ heat in traffic. It does not seem to help in crosswinds. I have not knocked anymore holes in the reservoir. YMMV

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Based on the scars on my belly pan I would say it has definitely stopped some objects from going further into the oil filter and coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your wealth of info. DDKING you have put the fear in me:eek:4: with that link. Lady luck tends not to follow me around to much. Some times if it were not for bad luck I'd have no luck at all:wink:. So like a lot of you said cheap insurance. I will have it installed asap.

Lonestarr GL1800 '08

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wingstuff Belly Pan

Wing Stuff has a 2 Piece Stainless steel belly pan for $37.00. its discounted because it has a tiny dimple on the surface of the pan from a production issue. Perfect pan. Just got mine.

B

·
0 Posts
Go with stainless if you can find it...

Stainless or aluminum? What is the input on those?
The same thickness of each, you would be better served with the stainless as the metal is much stronger than the aluminum. Having the aluminum one is better than having none at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Belly pan

Belly pan bought for 1500 & current 1800. Too many speed bumps found on motel parking lots that scrape your bottom! Reminds me of finger nails on a chalkboard. Peace of mind is worth every cent.

1 - 20 of 275 Posts