GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we retired this year, we're looking at putting significantly more miles on Black Beauty. Chuck holes are a fact of life around here, and on long trips, road construction is an accepted consequence. I'm thinking a belly pan may not be a bad thing, and I've looked at several. Show Chrome doesn't look bad, and the louvered one offered on Wingstuff, although a bit more expensive, is attractive because it should minimize the amount debris that collects in it and allows better air flow. What're your thoughts?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Since we retired this year, we're looking at putting significantly more miles on Black Beauty. Chuck holes are a fact of life around here, and on long trips, road construction is an accepted consequence. I'm thinking a belly pan may not be a bad thing, and I've looked at several. Show Chrome doesn't look bad, and the louvered one offered on Wingstuff, although a bit more expensive, is attractive because it should minimize the amount debris that collects in it and allows better air flow. What're your thoughts?

I’ve gone with the Showchrome anodized Belly Pan, over other stainless steel ones due to better heat dissipation and lighter weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
My 2013 had one on it when I bought it, would have been one of the first accessories I would have installed had it not been there. I am not sure which version it is, but it is light weight aluminum and has vents. Get a two piece version so when doing oil changes you only need to remove the front section , not the entire pan.
I think it is a good investment.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Both mine have had one. I won't leave home without one. Matter of fact, last time I had it in the shop, the tech said he had to bend it back a bit...tells me something hit it.....

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I have had the two piece louvered stainless steel one on both my GL1800's. If you ever witness what a small rock kicked up can do to an oil filter, you will decide it is a good investment. JMHO

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I've had one on "both" of my 18's....I never had an oil filter or anything else get ruined while riding, in all this time, so whether it saved me, or not I'll never know... BUT it will always be there, even on my third wing when that time does come...

Ronnie

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You asked for opinions.... I suppose, in a very rare instance, it is “possible” one may offer some needed protection but mostly I see them as something to add piece of mind to the rider. On a dirt bike, they make sense as you have the real possibility of bashing a rock but on a wing that stays on pavement, the added effort of having to remove it for oil changes isn’t worth the perceived protection for me.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
You asked for opinions.... I suppose, in a very rare instance, it is “possible” one may offer some needed protection but mostly I see them as something to add piece of mind to the rider. On a dirt bike, they make sense as you have the real possibility of bashing a rock but on a wing that stays on pavement, the added effort of having to remove it for oil changes isn’t worth the perceived protection for me.
Purchase the two piece belly pan, piece of cake to remove the front part (just two screws) DONE!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I have the 2 piece louvered stainless steel one almost from day one. There is no discernible marks on it, so I really cant say that its saved my engine, but it doesn't cost much and as far as I can tell. It doesn't hurt anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
I've never been sold on them. Some owners have asked me to remove them.

Belly Pans make proper servicing of a 5th gens a lot more time consuming. Basically, Honda wants that cooling system pressure tested and the reservoir removed inspected every 8k. So, replacing the reservoir hoses and tube,level is more time consuming. Also, it is pretty much not worth pressure testing one with a belly pan on. The other down side is the trapped heat when the Wing is turned off.

I think I've replaced 5 reservoirs, and all 5 were damaged from loading/un-loading off a trailer. I've also replaced 5 engine cases do to road hazard. 3 were protected by belly pans.

·
Administrator
4,575 Posts
"I've looked at several. Show Chrome doesn't look bad, and the louvered one offered on Wingstuff, although a bit more expensive, is attractive because it should minimize the amount debris that collects in it and allows better air flow. What're your thoughts?"

Again, this is not a pro/con thread on the worthyness of belly pans, just WHICH BRAND to go with. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I installed a ventilated one on my 2005 when I bought it new.
I was amazed at the scrapes and medium impact damage it had after 13 years and well over 100,000 miles!
I never really noticed or heard anything jumping up and impacting the thing. So with my new 2016, I have installed the belly pan also.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree with Capt. Bob - I have had the two piece louvered stainless steel one on both my GL1800's. If you ever witness what a small rock kicked up can do to an oil filter, you will decide it is a good investment. JMHO

I have one of the two piece stainless ones on my bike since new, one of the first items I put on it, the weight never slowed it down either.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Buy one NOW! I mistakenly didn't bother to fit mine immediately on my 2015 and a piece of metal road junk tool out my coolant reservoir and 7 hrs later I got to a Honda dealership.

AND YES. buy the two piece one it's a breeze to change the oil!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
A.) I don't think they (belly pans) hurt anything.

B.) Judging by the condition of the Belly Pan on my bike (see below) I'm rather glad I put it on the bike many years ago.

C.) I've never found much if any debris collected and/or trapped by this Belly Pan. IMHO Louvered Belly Pans serve only to diminish an owners concern for problems that do not exist. They also give someone the opportunity to straighten bent Louvers every now and then and they cost more when new

D.) I have some fairly massive skid plates on my Jeep (which it came with). They neither diminish the cooling capability of the Engine or the Transmission nor do they trap much if any debris . . . . and they're not louvered either.

:nerd:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. As I said in another thread, I like having nice things, I just can't afford as nice as I'd like sometimes. To me, these just protect what I've invested my hard earned money in, keeping it nice for just a bit longer. I think I'll go with the Show Chrome 2 piece. I like the black, and for about $60, it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. As I said in another thread, I like having nice things, I just can't afford as nice as I'd like sometimes. To me, these just protect what I've invested my hard earned money in, keeping it nice for just a bit longer. I think I'll go with the Show Chrome 2 piece. I like the black, and for about $60, it's cheap insurance.
Check eBay . . . . they can be found for $49.00 and free shipping.

Ex: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Pla...m2accd74c5c:g:p1oAAOSwaTZbWuWM&frcectupt=true

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Registered
806 Posts
My 2013 had one on it when I bought it, would have been one of the first accessories I would have installed had it not been there. I am not sure which version it is, but it is light weight aluminum and has vents. Get a two piece version so when doing oil changes you only need to remove the front section , not the entire pan.
I think it is a good investment.

:agree:Mine has some nice dings in it. I think anything big enough to put a quarter sized ding in the belly pan is not something I want flying into other parts.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts