GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Alright Ben give it up. The complete info on your new Baby... With Pictures... Where, what, etc;etc...
George,
By now you should know that I'm no good at taking/sending pictures. I bought Charley Sheldon's demo Roadsmith. It's red and pretty well loaded though I will probably add a few accessories including a CB and a tagalong. I like it and will let you park near it in Kerrville. ;)
Best,
Ben

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Ben, how does it compare to that nice BMW you had?

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Ben, how does it compare to that nice BMW you had?
George. Not a fair question, <grin>!

I like 'em both for different reasons and because of different features. It's like trying to compare your Burgman 650 with a conventional touring bike. Both do the same job and do it well. It would be fun spec'ing a bike/trike with the best of both.

It might surprise some but having experience with both, I would personally rather not have running boards, floor boards, aqua, accent or whatever shilelds. The little added protection from water is more than overcome, in my opinion, by not being able to easily reach the ground from the seat to move the bike around on level pavement. This is my opinion only and your mileage may vary. Before buying my first trike, I thought I had to have them and was disappointed when the rare K LT/Hannigan came along without them. Had I not accumulated serious miles on the Hannigan sans floor boards, I would not believe it.

The R-K handles very well and also rides good. It has a 6 cu. ft. trunk, an auxiliary fuel tank (the thirsty winhg needs it <bbg> and lots of light in the rear. It also has a more pronounced rake than I am accustomed to and I really like it. I don't know how satisfactory a 5 1/2 degree rake would be on a shorter wheelbase trike but it is just the ticket, again in my opinion, on the LWB Roadsmith.

Now if I can figure out how to strip the pesky Tupperware so I can get down to some serious tinkering... It looks like it snaps together like my old Pacific Coast 800 did.

Best,
Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts