GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make some things for the wing out of plastic, say 1/8 inch thick and I need to bend it sharply and have it stay. I have seen things made this way but I have no idea how to bend it without breaking it or maring it. Any ideas?

G

·
I have not done plastic, but have used it on solid vinyl items. I use a heavy duty hair dryer type item, similar to what you buy at the paint stores to remove paint. You have to keep it a safe distance from the item, and then s l o w l y, introduce the heat and then bend it. When it dries, it should keep it's shape. JMO
PaMike

·
Registered
652 Posts
All plastics have a different temp to work with.
For some 350 in the oven for about 20 minuites and it will take the shape you want.
The best is to have a form to put it over and let it cool.
The right temp and on a form to the shape you want is usually the key.
Hydrolcal to make the form works well.
TR

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Steve - a very effective tool for bending 1/8 inch plastic or acrylic is something that you can obtain from a store like Tap Plastics. It's a Plastic Bending Strip Heater Element and used to bend acrylic, styrene, and ABS. The heating element is 1/2" wide x 36" long and is wired with 2-prong 110 volt plug. I've used mine for lots of projects where I needed to bend acrylics and it works terrifically.

DaleC

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=169&

1 - 4 of 4 Posts