GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2015 wing and it came with a CB radio and antenna installed. I’ve ridden for over 40 years without one and never missed it. So my question is what benefits does having a CB bring to the table? I’m considering pulling and selling unless there’s some unknown reason I absolutely need it...

Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
JMO: 40 years without one and you never missed it, pretty much says it all.
However, it might have an occasional use for traffic obstructions.
I've had CB on a bike. I tested it once to make sure it worked (new bike) then turned it off and never used it again.
A couple of the groups I ride with (GWRRA and STAR) use them to keep lead and tail gunner informed along the ride.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I just bought a 2015 wing and it came with a CB radio and antenna installed. I’ve ridden for over 40 years without one and never missed it. So my question is what benefits does having a CB bring to the table? I’m considering pulling and selling unless there’s some unknown reason I absolutely need it...

Thanks!

Don't pull it and sell it. You probably won't use it much, but when you do need it, you'll be glad you kept it. Contrary to popular belief, there ARE still folks that use a CB on the road. And it helps to be able to communicate with them. At this point in time, I don't know of any "wireless communicators" that have this capability....meaning the same capability of a 40 channel CB and a "highway channel" like ch 19 on a CB.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Thanks!
I'd say not worth the hassle to pull and sell. Just leave it in place and who knows, maybe you'll trade the bike down the line and it will entice a prospective owner. With cellphones and GPS not sure of the real utility of CBs so much anymore. All the truckers I see have headsets on, presumably talking to family and friends and not so much sharing "smokey" locations, traffic issues, etc. In short, I think the utility of CB radio is going the way of newspapers and the national nightly network news shows.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I've always had a CB on my Wings. Is it worth it? Not at the cost of the things, however when riding with others be it just one more bike or a group it's nice to be able to talk instead of using hand signals. I personally never turn mine off. There is normally nothing on it but it's there.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I am on my 4th. Goldwing and all have had CB's on them. They do come in handy on group rides. Also I ride long trips by myself a lot and when I get tired of the juke box I like to talk to the truckers. I use mine for road conditions also.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The few times I've turned mine on it just startles me when some garbled blast comes through the squelch.

Not worth it IMHO, but good for resale.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Personally, I mostly use mine for GWRRA group rides. I am often the lead or tail of our rides so it's critical for that purpose but I will say that I wish everyone that was on the ride would use one. Road hazards are common and being able to let everyone in on the hazard and location in the lane can save a lot of heartache. On our last ride, a newbee was unsure of what he was doing or where he was going took a wrong turn and it took about a half mile to flag him down. I was able to tell the leader that we were off track and was able to collect him and meet up with the group. Without the CB, we'd be in the weeds still.
There is still value for solo riding. I understand the State Police still monitor CB radio traffic and truckers are still using it.
I've avoided traffic snarls monitoring Ch19.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love my CB, it allows me to talk to others in my group incase we need to make an emergency stop (Ice cream stops too), warn others of hazards in the road, or to give directions. I keep my squelch set at 8 to 12 to keep other noise out. I recommend that you install the CB. As Augi said, other CBers monitor channels and could be very helpful if needed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
A necessary tool for group rides. It makes everyone informed of all that's going on. We usually have 5 - 20 on our rides, so a CB is a must.

Reactions: carolinarider10

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love my CB, it allows me to talk to others in my group incase we need to make an emergency stop (Ice cream stops too), warn others of hazards in the road, or to give directions. I keep my squelch set at 8 to 12 to keep other noise out. I recommend that you install the CB. As Augi said, other CBers monitor channels and could be very helpful if needed.
You bring up an interesting point... is there a proper squelch number setting? Or does it depend on your location, etc? I play with it a lot and not sure I have mastered it. Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Always use when riding with others. Sometimes listen to truckers, but they don’t seem to use them much any more.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You bring up an interesting point... is there a proper squelch number setting? Or does it depend on your location, etc? I play with it a lot and not sure I have mastered it. Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The higher the number, the shorter the distance you can receive and less noise. The lower the number, more distance you can receive and more noise. Very low number nothing but noise all the time, usually.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
1.) At some point you will probably want to sell this bike. Having a CB on a Goldwing is valuable not just in the value of the bike, but in some ways what can be far more important, is the number of prospective buyers that will want/require the Goldwing they will buy to have a CB Radio.

2.) If you ride with others the common denominator for bike-to-bike communications, even with all of the various devices that are available, and the shortcomings that a CB Radio certainly has, particularly on a motorcycle, the CB Radio still reigns supreme. It would be really nice if someone or some company somewhere could come up with an inexpensive way to integrate an FRS Radio into a motorcycles communication system. FRS Radios are extremely low cost and generally will equal, if not out perform, a CB Radio for distance.

3.) As for the Squelch setting; I usually turn mine down until I get a steady stream of static at which point I adjust the volume, if need be. I then bump the Squelch up about 2 or 3 numbers above/past the number where the static is completely suppressed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Truckers usually don't have radios. they were vital when I drove, but now it's all cell phones. Especially the foreign drivers. Some still use them and they are a good thing to have. I have a portable antenna and radio for long trips in the car. I consider them to be like a fire extinguisher. When you need one, you need one NOW.

As for the squelch, it varies on weather and atmospheric conditions. Adjust the squelch until the noise just goes away. Every day or so, check it again. Thunderstorms, strong weather fronts, especially cold fronts and sun spots will affect it differently every day and sometimes change within hours. I'm in Indiana and we just a CB at work to talk to the drivers, who have them. Sometimes i'll get skip from Mexico or Texas and hear lots of Spanish on the radio. If you have an ANL (auto noise limiter) switch, leave it off. Your range will reduce to 100 yards at times.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I can guarantee that as soon as you pull it and sell it, you'll fall in with a new crowd of best riding buddies that all use CB. At least that's my life.

I think the "no, it's not worth getting one" and "if you've got one, it's not worth getting rid of" line of reasoning is pretty solid. Unless you're hurting for a few bucks and selling things on Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My buddy and i, each had a CB on our bikes. Over the years, we rode perhaps 100,000 miles together. That would have been a lot of boring hours to ride with out communicating with each other...

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I ride a lot with a couple friends and we go on a long, 2-week trip every year. Maybe we've just become reliant but it sure is nice to be able to communicate with each other as well as truckers and others. A CB is a requirement for me.

It may help resale... I don't know if I'd bother pulling it. Maybe start using it for a while and see - you might like it.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Keep it.

I am a firm believer of having it and not needing it, then needing it and not having it.

It might come in handy for something down the road.

Its not worth the hassle to pull and sell unless you are looking for some more gas money and know you will not NEED it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have one on my 2013. Mostly used for my group day rides which is nice. Not a lot of chatter on the airwaves now but it does give me some comfort on extended solo rides.
My opinion, keep it on the bike. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!
Also, there is an on/off switch. Choose the one you prefer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts