GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I purchased this bike used in Jan. and I thought I had checked it over good. I did miss a front wheel rim bend. Was out riding this weekend (First sun and warm day we have had in a long time) and while stopped for coffee, I notice the rim on the front tire had a small bend on both sides at the same tire location. See Photos.

The bike is riding good, and the front tire is not loosing air. No wobble, are vibration etc. Road hard this weekend, lots of curves and I did not notice any problem with the front end.

Question, Do I need to get this fixed?… or better can I get the rim fixed, or should I just buy a replacement wheel. A tire change is coming up soon anyway. The ome TPMS does not work on the front wheel anyway and plan on replacing that system anyway.

Recommendations anyone?
Anybody have a good guess as to how this type of bent rim happened?
JSRinHSV.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Knowing how anal I am, if I knew that the rim was bent like that it would be in my head constantly. I inadvertently drove my F-150 through a huge pothole last year. Being preoccupied I didn't think to check the rims when I got home. 3 days later Im driving to work, turn a sharp corner into the parking lot and both passenger tires let go at the same time. Lucky I wasn't doing 80 on the freeway! The rims can be straightened, or at least the truck rims were repaired to my satisfaction. Get em fixed and enjoy the ride!

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
Someone else couple months ago got wheel straighten and was happy with job . Front rims $$ to buy. Mite be worth fixin ! If mine would leave till i got new tire. Get timing rite so you dont have lot down time with wheel. Good luck n welcome to forum !

·
Registered
628 Posts
It is possible to beat the rim back to shape with a ball peen hammer. After that if there are marks from the beating you could have them powder coated.

LAW

·
Registered
408 Posts

I purchased this bike used in Jan. and I thought I had checked it over good. I did miss a front wheel rim bend. Was out riding this weekend (First sun and warm day we have had in a long time) and while stopped for coffee, I notice the rim on the front tire had a small bend on both sides at the same tire location. See Photos.

The bike is riding good, and the front tire is not loosing air. No wobble, are vibration etc. Road hard this weekend, lots of curves and I did not notice any problem with the front end.

Question, Do I need to get this fixed?… or better can I get the rim fixed, or should I just buy a replacement wheel. A tire change is coming up soon anyway. The ome TPMS does not work on the front wheel anyway and plan on replacing that system anyway.

Recommendations anyone?
Anybody have a good guess as to how this type of bent rim happened?
JSRinHSV.
Last month I got my front rim (2010) straightened by MCWheel in NH. I shipped to them in NH. It was about 10-14 days including shipping time. Very reasonable pricing and great job.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
That's a pretty signifiant bend, take it to a wheel shop that has experience straightening alum cast wheels. Other option is to replace. I wouldn't trust that wheel in that condition.
I would guess the PO hit a nasty pot hole to bend the wheel like that, probably also the reason the TPMS is not working.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If you don't want your bike down for a couple of weeks, I have a spare front wheel with tire you could use for cost of shipping one way and I'll be down your way sometime this summer and I could pick it up then. Just let me know...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you don't want your bike down for a couple of weeks, I have a spare front wheel with tire you could use for cost of shipping one way and I'll be down your way sometime this summer and I could pick it up then. Just let me know...

Steve, YOU DA MAN !!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hey Like that Dog.. Looks important. ;) Thank you for the offer. I will let you know if I need it. Great offer. Thanks.
JSR

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked with a couple of auto wheel repair companies and they don't want to do a motorcycle wheel.

So if I buy a new wheel, how much trouble is it to move all of the stuff over from one wheel to the other... ABS ring et c.

jsr

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I checked with a couple of auto wheel repair companies and they don't want to do a motorcycle wheel.

So if I buy a new wheel, how much trouble is it to move all of the stuff over from one wheel to the other... ABS ring et c.

jsr
New wheel comes without bearings, if you do not have a press, take your wheel to a shop to have the bearings removed and spacer, have new bearings with your old spacer installed in the new wheel. Remove the rotors and ABS ring before removing the old bearings and after installing the new bearings, no chance to damage them that way. Then just install the rotors and ABS ring on the new wheel, you'll need a 6mm allen and T-20 torx sockets and some blue locktite. Clean the old locktite off the bolts and but a drop of the blue locktite on the clean bolts and be carefull torqueing.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
It is a common misconception that a rim that's bent like that has a bad seal. The tire bead does not seal there, but seals around the inner ring of the tire. It takes quite a bit to damage the sealing of an aluminium rim. You can fix that yourself fairly easily with a hammer and some patience. However, watch for broken belts in the tire, because the tire may have been damaged.

See this thread of what I did to fix a rim: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?347915-Fixing-a-ding-in-a-front-rim

·
Registered
472 Posts
Waldo is correct. I don't know that I would even worry about it, although it looks lie one whack with a rubber dead-blow hammer, might put that right back into place.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
If you attempt to fix it, do not use a ball peen hammer. Use a good heavy body work "dolly" (they are a smooth steel shaped hunk with polished surfaces that do not mar the metal badly). If you get two dollies, one can be held to one side as you TAP the other side back into proper position. A sheet metal hammer has similar properties and good for the final little nudges or high spots. There is also a dolly that looks like a two palm sized steel pucks connected by a steel rod to allow your hand to fit in in between, gives great control with excellent impact power. Mine are quite old and from NAPA.

prs

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Waldo is correct. I don't know that I would even worry about it, although it looks lie one whack with a rubber dead-blow hammer, might put that right back into place.
If you attempt to fix it, do not use a ball peen hammer.
I neglected in both posts/threads to mention that I used a plastic hammer similar to the one shown here at Sears. :oops:

>CLICK ME<

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I would try a dead low hammer also

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
Steve

If your interested, I may know someone who could fix that rim for you.

I will make contact with him for you if your interested. You might be able to ride it up there, get it fixed, and ride it home?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts