GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the New Jersey area know of a repair service that can straighten a slightly bowed front rim from a GL-1800?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bernie,
Try asking at your local tire shop. If they can't do it they should be able to recommend someone who can.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I pounded a 1/8" dent out on mine using a 5 lb sledge, a wood block, and a cement curb... followed by sanding to blend.

·
Chard Member
13,046 Posts
State Farm straightened one for me about 15 yrs ago! $100 comp deduct. lol...

There’s companies around that do nothing but straighten aluminum wheels for auto dealerships. Maybe check with a large dealership around you to find out who they use. Good luck...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I bent mine on the Fourth of July last year. I was able to finish the trip to my brother's place for an extended weekend, although i could tell the bent rim and damaged tire wasn't going to get me home. Ended up buying a new rim and tire to finish the trip.

Had the bent one repaired at http://www.thewheelwarehouse.com (also find them at www.acu-trusystems.com). They took a while to get it back to me - that was partly my fault. I told them it was a spare rim and not needed in a hurry.

I've not used it yet, but it looks better than it did before I bent it! The big downside for me is that they charged my credit card when I dropped it off (only about 15 minutes from me). When it came time to pay the CC bill, I didn't have it back yet (they originally told me two weeks - ended up being about five). That's when I started pushing to get it back - SWMBO didn't want to pay for something we hadn't received yet.

I found that a lot of the places that will repair aluminum car rims wouldn't touch motorcycle rims.

In case anyone wants to know - cost was about $225 - YMMV depending on the actual damage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I shipped mine to these guys when they where in New England, but they have since moved. I would recommend them.

MC Wheel Repair
327 N. Martin ave
Tucson, AZ 85719
888-MC Wheel

Make sure you remove bearings before hand or plan on replacing them. They heat the whole wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts