GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeking travel advice:

I'm going to be going to Greenville, SC to vist my son at Clemson U's ICAR this fall.

We'll be running between Pittsburgh, Pa and Greenville, SC so much of the trip will parallel the Parkway.

If you could pick 100 miles of the BR Parkway to drive, which 100 mile chunk would it be?

Or, should I hop on and off several times?

I'm going to be in a cage with the wife and inlaws or I would take the whole thing. (Yeah, I know, cage and in-laws.)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Put me down for the last hundred miles into Cherokee, NC.
While the last hundred or so from Asheville to Cherokee is the best, there is certainly nothing wrong with the hundred or so before Asheville.

Can't say above that, never ridden it. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Would agree with the section just north of Asheville. Very high elevation, lots of scenic overlooks, great switchbacks and overall beauty. Drop down into Asheville and take a picture of your bike in front of the Biltmore....worth the extra time it takes.

Once you get much north of Asheville, into Virginia, it becomes just a curvy tree lines road with little elevation change and no overlooks. Actually gets boring quickly the further north you go.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
:agree: They have it right, best scenery either side of Asheville; now when you are on your bike try the roads that cross the Parkway - wow lost of curves! Paved but some gravel if it has rained. Enjoy

·
Registered
238 Posts
asheville to cherokee gets my vote. i'll be riding it wed. 17th on a yellow wing. headed to pigeon forge for a couple days.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I almost hate to get into this one, but here goes, I do ride the whole 575 miles of the Skyline Drive and Blueridge Parkway several times a year to get the different seasons and I haven't found a bad part of the road system yet...

Just My Humble Opinion...

Now for the plug for WV... :bow: :bow:

Instead of coming down I-79-S all the way to maybe I-77-S ya might want to get off at US-250-SE or on down to US-33-E and drive on over to Elkins and either stay on either one of them all the way to I-81-S over in VA and then decide what part of the parkway you want to get on... I personally would drive US-33 because of it's beauty... :thumbup:

Also US-216 is another beautiful drive coming south out of Elkins going south to US-460 in VA this will put you real close to I-77-S and a hop-skip-and-a-jump over to the Parkway.....

Edit:
If you want or need easy access to the interstates for the in-laws the best and easiest would be the Skyline Drive...

It had I-66 at Front Royal VA where you would be getting on the SLD and I-64 105.5 miles to the south where you would be getting back off...

Good luck with the caged up in-laws and enjoy your trip... :thumbup: :thumbup:

PS. If anybody gets car sick, do not take US-33... :22yikes:
:eek:4:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Ditto on the last 100 miles Cherokee to Asheville. If you draw a line from where you live to Clemson SC the line will go through and cross dozens of good riding roads. Take your time and enjoy any of them.
Old Fred

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,755 Posts
I also think the last 100 miles or so from Ashville to the end is the best part of the BRP. The first 80 or so miles on the north end is pretty nice too...but heck I love riding the whole BRP at least once a year.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Hit the parkway at the crossing of I-26 going South. The part North of Asheville to a little North of the NC border is great, too. Going through Asheville is boring, and at the wrong time of day you will see a lot of local commuter traffic, too.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I live in western Ky. and just got back about an hour ago from riding a portion of the the Blueridge. I rode to Blowing Rock Nc and got on there and rode south. I rode the same route ten yrs. ago and liked it so much I rode the same route this week.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If your trip depends on "getting there" ... you should avoid the Blue Ridge Parkway ... it is all about scenery and relaxation ... "catching" a little bit of it seems like listening to 15 seconds of Bach or Beethoven ... :roll:

... and please don't take this as a nasty or smart a$$ed comment ... I really mean it to be simple but honest ... the Parkway deserves a relaxed pace ...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts