GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering what helmets to get for my new Goldwing. I was interested in the Arai SC/z, but two people I know have other 3/4 Arai helmets and say they are very, very noisey. Can anyone recommend what they like in 3/4 helmets if you use one?
Thanks,
Neal Leviton

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
My Arai's (all 3/4) have always been quieter than anything else I owned. The drawback is you absolutely have to have a windscreen or the increased width (a safety factor) will put unreasonable pressure on your head and neck.

I've had my Arai on my head for as long as 18 hours (with two food stops along the way) and never had any sort of pressure issue. They are expensive but I think you can now get them online a bit more reasonably.

·
Registered
255 Posts
nealjl said:
I have been considering what helmets to get for my new Goldwing. I was interested in the Arai SC/z, but two people I know have other 3/4 Arai helmets and say they are very, very noisey. Can anyone recommend what they like in 3/4 helmets if you use one?
Thanks,
Neal Leviton
The SO and I both have the Arai SC/z and neither have any problem with noise, I wear hearing aids and some helmets do create a noise problem but not the Arai.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
It is always going to depend on your shape of head and how snugly you fit your helmet. I like my Shoei RJ Platinum, but the Arai just did not fit right. I have tried on other helmets HJC, Nolan, and many others, but for me the Shoei is the quietest and fits best. However the RJ I now have is getting a bit loose, because of age, or perhaps my head is shrinking, so I am in the market for a helmet to supplement my Shoei RF-1000 full face. Looking at a modular.

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
the best helmet is the one that fits the best

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The Nolan is very noisy! I bought two and will not buy them again. Much noisier than the Arai. I won't buy the Air Rider headsets again either. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have both the Arai and the Shoei 3/4. Personally, the Shoei is much quieter for me. The Arai is lighter and a bit more comfortable, but just too noisy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a Nolan N-42 and it is best so far. The face shield is longer than most and when pulled all the way down it seams to seal on the sides very well. I have very little noise unless I have a strong cross wind. The ratchet system seams to be strong. Also I like having the tinted second shield.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have had several different ones and I much prefer the Shoei, it is quiet and fits me better.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Words from a friend that just crashed with 3/4 helmet and suffered severe head and neck injuries .... I will be wearing a full face helmet in the future and will have ABS brakes!!!

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Wingit said:
Words from a friend that just crashed with 3/4 helmet and suffered severe head and neck injuries .... I will be wearing a full face helmet in the future and will have ABS brakes!!!
If you got neck injuries with a 3/4, you would have gotten them with a full face too. The full face just gives you the added protection of protecting your face. Otherwise they are the same.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
My wife and I both have Arai SCz/m helmets. They are by far the best helmets we have ever had, but they are also by far the noisiest. The Shoei RJ Air Platinum is a close second. It is far quieter. The only thing it lacks is that great flip down full face style shield that the Arai has. (and the exhorbitant price. I don't know why everyone hasn't copied it.

We will probably reluctantly go back to the Shoei once these wear out.

EDIT:
Check that. I just went to the Shoei website to see if they had anything new and found this. I'm excited. It think my Arai just wore out a little earlier than expected. :oops:

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/road/helmets_road.aspx?h=6

·
Registered
696 Posts
SILENT HELMET

I HAVE TRIED MANY DIFFERENT HELMETS AND FROM 400.00 DOWN JUST BOUGHT TWO FULMER 655 HELMETS BEATS MY HIGH PRICE [ARAI] HANDS DOWN TRY ONE YOU WILL BE AMAZED MY 2 CENTS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replies

Wow, thanks everyone for your replies. LarryM, that is the hemet I was looking for as well. My friend didnt think Shoei made a true 3/4 yet. I will find a place that sells them out in L.A., and try it. The Arai 3/4's are sure copmfortable to put on, but several people here agree with a couple of my friends that they are too noisey.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a Nolan N-42 also and its the quietest I have ever worn by far in a 3/4. Noise is generated where the shield meets the helmet. Folks have minimized the noise by placing foam weather stripping at the contact point but I haven't found the Nolan required that fix.

Pete

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I have a Nolan N41 Outlaw model with the sun visor that is quite quiet...I did need a size larger than normal though and have heard others say that their sizes run small (I wear small and needed a medium)...I am happy with Nolan, though I only wear it while riding the trike two-up since I have the J&M installed in it.

I have a Vega full face I wear while riding the VTX...it is significantly noisier than the Nolan, but comfy for a full face.

Another helmet I have is an inexpensive Fulmer F65 that is very comfortable and relatively quiet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agree the fit is more important than the brand. Right now have the Shoei RJ and really like the fit and light weight. Noise is much less than with the HJC I also have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts