GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best antenna for a cb
the oem? or show chrome or maybe another brand?
tips are welcome:joke:

·
Registered
649 Posts
The best antenna, talk to the folks at sierra-mc.com or Sierra for short they can tell you the best set up. Understand that having a CB antenna on one side and a radio antenna on the other will still cause your CB power to side lobe, more power off the sides and less for fore and aft, and isn't that where we want to talk. I have a single whip from them that is combined radio and cb and got it to fit on a 06 airbag no less. I have had conversations at distances of over seven miles and am very happy. One black whip looks good too.

Jeff

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
whats the best antenna for a cb
There is no BEST! ;)

It's about what works for you and your circumstances. I have the Sierra antenna mentioned above. It comes in 3ft and 2ft lengths. I have both, but be aware that the 2-footer gives you about HALF the range of the 3-footer.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Another +1 for the Sierra 3ft. It installs in a snap, folds like OEM and works great for all my needs. I can't count how many Wing riders have told me they wished they knew about the Sierra antenna before going through all the drilling and mounting process of the Honda antenna on the other side of their trunk box!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm really starting to like this site :popcorn: Just as I think of adding something (like a CB), a whole bunch of guys ask questions about the same subject that I never would have thought of :joke:

I was just going to use the OEM CB antenna, but this makes a whole lot more sense,

Are you guys using the SIE-GL1806-SOLO3-HONDA O6 & UP GL-1800 SINGLE ANTENNA KIT - 3 FOOT as a single antenna for both the radio and the CB and is it just a "bolt" on swap for the OEM radio antenna?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I have the 3" Serria also and it makes the CB install much easier. The black antenna looks good and works great.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I'm really starting to like this site :popcorn: Just as I think of adding something (like a CB), a whole bunch of guys ask questions about the same subject that I never would have thought of :joke:

I was just going to use the OEM CB antenna, but this makes a whole lot more sense,

Are you guys using the SIE-GL1806-SOLO3-HONDA O6 & UP GL-1800 SINGLE ANTENNA KIT - 3 FOOT as a single antenna for both the radio and the CB and is it just a "bolt" on swap for the OEM radio antenna?

In a word.... yep! Give Sierra a call as you will need the splitter for CB and radio hook up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
In a word.... yep! Give Sierra a call as you will need the splitter for CB and radio hook up.
It looks like they have a kit that includes the splitter and all the hardware (base, new swivel, etc:) and I might just as well get the radio from them also. Their price is only a couple bucks more than the best price I've found so far.

I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow and make sure that I'm reading correctly and don't need anything else.

THANKS for the info guys. The depth of knowledge and the willingness to share it here is GREAT. :bow:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Would like to see pics of the Sierra antenna set up

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow and make sure that I'm reading correctly and don't need anything else.
Give Diana a shout and she'll hook you up.

The CB you need is this: http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HON-GL18-CB

The antenna is this (get the 3 footer): http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-GL1806-SOLO3

Would like to see pics of the Sierra antenna set up
There is not a lot to see. It's a black whip, either 2' or 3' top-loaded antenna. Installation of the antenna takes less than 2 minutes and it keeps it's fold-over capability.

One of the best features of this setup is if you decide to sell your bike. Everyone knows that you don't get very much for the accessories when you sell the bike. This way, you can un-install the CB AND the antenna, put everything back to original and sell the CB and antenna separately. Also...no holes to drill! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is, the cb radios on Wing were designed to talk to others within a group. The GL1800's that I've had any experience with is somewhat distorted while listening to someone real close. Older model Wings did not have that problem.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:Sierra single is a great antenna
The best antenna, talk to the folks at sierra-mc.com or Sierra for short they can tell you the best set up. Understand that having a CB antenna on one side and a radio antenna on the other will still cause your CB power to side lobe, more power off the sides and less for fore and aft, and isn't that where we want to talk. I have a single whip from them that is combined radio and cb and got it to fit on a 06 airbag no less. I have had conversations at distances of over seven miles and am very happy. One black whip looks good too.

Jeff

·
Registered
164 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is, the cb radios on Wing were designed to talk to others within a group. The GL1800's that I've had any experience with is somewhat distorted while listening to someone real close. Older model Wings did not have that problem.
That's really all I need it for (talking in a group). I'm usually the "trail" guy in the LD group I sometimes tour with and it's handy to be able to tell the lead what's happening at the back end and when eveyone has made a route change.

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
Give Diana a shout and she'll hook you up.

The CB you need is this: http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HON-GL18-CB

The antenna is this (get the 3 footer): http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-GL1806-SOLO3

There is not a lot to see. It's a black whip, either 2' or 3' top-loaded antenna. Installation of the antenna takes less than 2 minutes and it keeps it's fold-over capability.

One of the best features of this setup is if you decide to sell your bike. Everyone knows that you don't get very much for the accessories when you sell the bike. This way, you can un-install the CB AND the antenna, put everything back to original and sell the CB and antenna separately. Also...no holes to drill! :thumbup:
Please clarify as I need the same setup for my 06. Does this antennae replace the stock radio antennae and serve both radio and CB???? Does the original radio bracket remain in place?

thanks for your info,
Ken

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Please clarify as I need the same setup for my 06. Does this antennae replace the stock radio antennae and serve both radio and CB???? Does the original radio bracket remain in place?

thanks for your info,
Ken
Yes and Yes to questions 1 and 2.

Regarding the "original radio bracket," there is no original radio bracket. The original radio antenna bracket remains in place. You just unscrew the AM/FM antenna and the fold-over mount and install the new antenna and fold-over mount.

Does this answer your question?

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
Yes and Yes to questions 1 and 2.

Regarding the "original radio bracket," there is no original radio bracket. The original radio antenna bracket remains in place. You just unscrew the AM/FM antenna and the fold-over mount and install the new antenna and fold-over mount.

Does this answer your question?
Exactly what I was looking for. thanks for the timely info.

Ken

1 - 20 of 43 Posts