GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides i-pod at big bucks for me, have any of my brother or sister riders found a reasonably priced CD player that has the ability of not skipping all the time or ruining the disc when the sensor gets to the last song or two, which I found are on the outer edges of the disc, just the oposite of a record disc.

TIA

Buck Yellow Wing 8)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Buck Yellow, I also use the Sony Mini Disc. Never skips and you can store 5 hours of music on it. I have the 707, but there are newer ones out now for around $200. I have the Honda CD player also that I have very little to no trouble with. Good luck Joy

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I also use the Sony MZ-N707 mini disc player/recorder. The only problem I have had is, I ruined a remote because I would forget to protect it from the rain and washings! :oops: The remote lasted well over a year. :)

A newer model is available from WalMart for less than $150 with remote.

Another option might be a inexpensive personal CD player that is capable of playing MP3's. You can record many MP3 files onto one disc.

Good Luck......

Does anyone know how I can find another remote? TIA...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Buck Yellow - You might want to look at some of the other MP3 players that are out on the market. I've got a Rio S10 coming that uses the little SD memory cards. I've also got the Sony minidisk and it's great, but I didn't like having to fumble with the disks when I wanted a change of music. And I've tried the portable CD players. Following is my opinion of the good vs. less good of each:

Portable CD Good - units are relatively inexpensive to buy ($50 - $100); some units are "water-resistant"; on a long trip you can buy different music along the way; you can normally find batteries anywhere; if you burn your own disks you can create your own listening pleasure and the blank cds can be had many times free after a rebate. Less Good - bulky in size compared to other options; storage of the CDs takes up valuable space; almost impossible to change disks while riding. Total price to use - Approximate $75 for a good, reliable unit + costs of music.

Sony Minidisk Good - small size; can fit up to 5 hours of music on a disk; disks are rewritable; most have a remote so you can stick the player in the side pocket and still control your music; batteries can be found anywhere. Less Good - Units are higher priced ($150-$200); you must burn your own music from your P/C; still have to store disks for change of music; disks are pricey (but rewritable); difficult to change disks while riding. Total price to use - $175, plus cost of disks plus music costs.

MP3 Players Good - small size; batteries can be found anywhere (AA); no storage of CDs or MiniDisks required; the non-hard disk players are usually inexpensive ($50 - $100) (I know the ipods are much more, but there are less expensive and just as workable units out there - and yes I've got an ipod, and I am aware of what is good and not so good); but do require that you buy larger storage memory cards in order to get many hours of music - cards prices are coming down 256mb can be had for $40. Less Good - you must burn your own music from your P/C; still difficult to change music while riding, but not as hard as the CD or MiniDisk (pop card out, pop new card in). Total price to use - $75, plus cost of card plus music costs.

FWIW - the memory cards can also be used in a digital camera if the camera uses the same format of card. This could be a distinct advantage if you're in the middle of a once in a lifetime trip and need more photo space for your pictures.

All of the portables allow you to use them off the bike with some headphones and all of them are good options - it really depends on your individual likes/dislikes. Personally I'm tending towards the inexpensive MP3 players due to the small size, the dropping price of storage cards and the dual use of the storage cards if needed. An example of this is the Rio S10 I've got on the way. The unit cost $52 and comes with 64 mb of on board memory, plus a 32 mb card. I've also picked up a 256 mb card from Staples for $40. For less than $100 I've got a small player that uses standard AA batteries (30 hours of play) with the option of changing out the music easily and quickly.

Hope this helps and didn't just "muddy the water".

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
The iPod is having battery life issues. It seems Apple is starting to deal with the battery replacement issue do to complaints

1 - 6 of 6 Posts