GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
A couple of weeks ago, I traded an ST1300 in on a '08 Wing. So far, something just doesn't feel right in the front end of the Wing compared to the ST. I realize the Wing is HEAVY, but the ST isn't exactly a lightweight either. If you read another post of mine, you probably remember that I had a bad Dunlop 250 that was just replaced by the dealer. My bike has about 100 miles on it...still lots of ice around.

I thought that I might at least check the torque of the stock stem bearings, but while I have things off, I just wondered is some other mods that I've been reading about might give the front end a more stable feel. Here are some I've read about on this forum:

SPRINGS
Either straight weight or progressive wound...I tend to like straight weight springs, but I'm all ears.

Oil Weight and Air Space
I know (at least in other bikes I've had) that a thicker weight will slow things down a bit, but also cause the suspension to recover slower from an impact.

All Balls
Here we go again on this. Read everything from they help to they mask other problems to "you don't need them if your bike is new."

Anti Dive Nickel thing?
I know when I pull the front brake, I can't push down on the forks, so I'm guessing mine's working properly? I've owned over 40 bikes, so I tend to confuse them at times, but I thought that the anti dive system I once had on (I think it was) a 700 Magna was adjustable. Was it called TRAC? I never tried to push the wing against something without pulling the brake to see if the forks compress, but I guess it would as long as you don't touch the brake...right?

Oh, and there are other things too like fork braces, Emulators, etc.

I put emulators in a DR650 about a year ago. They helped a bit, but I really didn't notice a major difference. Also, to adjust the emulator, you had to take off the fork caps and adjust them with a long screw driver. If they're the same on a wing, I can't imagine tearing everything apart to get the caps off just to make a suspension adjustment.

In short, I guess what I'm saying is...while it's apart, if something like a set of $100 springs and some fork oil is really gonna make a difference, I'd like to do it while it's apart. Also, I DID purchase the stem socket, so I'm good to go there.

Thanks guys,
Russ

·
Registered
927 Posts
MatadorMk5
1. Disable the Anti-Dive valve. Read Max McAllister's advise on how to use the brakes on a GoldWing http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200685 just about the bottom of the first page and don't worry about the front end dive.
2. Install a 5 piece fork brace, either Traxxion or Kury. The chome seems to flake off the Kury in short order so the Traxxion would be best.
3. Put some miles on it before you start messing with the insides of the forks and if you still want better bite the bullet and go for the Traxxion AK20 upgrade.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
647 Posts
Put some more miles on it before you make any changes.

Coming from my Honda VFR (60,000 miles) which I still have, I've been very impressed with the Goldwing. Very planted in the corners. The bike rides, tracks and handles like a much smaller bike IMO.

ki-speed (Mark)

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
personally, I would not disable the AD without first upgrading the front springs
... the OEM springs are pretty wimpy and disabling the AD without upgrading them is usually not fun.

Very cheap and worthwhile:
1) upgrade front springs
2) front fork brace
3) disable AD

You didn't say how much you weigh ...
I'm lightweight so the above did wonders for me.
If you're heavyweight and want a sporty ride,
you'll probably have to do the rear springs too.

Dennis

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag:If you have D250's, get some better tires, stones etc. Makes a world of difference. It did on my wing.:p

·
Registered
171 Posts
Unless you've got some sort of shimmy or shake in the front end, I wouldn't waste money on "All Balls". Your bike may be one of those that never gets this problem. If it ever does, then do it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didn't say how much you weigh ...
I'm lightweight so the above did wonders for me.
If you're heavyweight and want a sporty ride,
you'll probably have to do the rear springs too.

Dennis
Sorry,
I meant to include that...
I weigh about 160 without gear.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
ex sport rider here,went from lops to metz to stones. Stones handle the best by far for me. 185lbs, no load, and there quiet.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Springs are the biggest single bang for the buck on every bike I've had, and it holds true on the GL1800. I went with Sonic's 1.2kg/mm ST1300 springs. Main issue here is that it highlights the fact that the rear is so undersprung.

No reason for the anti-dive with the correct springs in. I like the fact that I actually have a front suspension under braking now...

I left the oil weight and air space alone. I did add the RaceTech emulator to the left fork. It really helped out and makes the front stay much more stable over bumps and especially in downhill turns. I left it at the default adjusment and am happy with it. It does cause the fork to transmit a lot more feeback to the bars, which I like, but many would not.

I left the bearings alone. I have no issues with the stockers.

Gotta' have a fork brace, mainly because the lower triple tree is so wimpy. Traxxion or Kury.

Fixing the front-end really makes the back-end shortcoming come to light, so I put a Traxxion shock and spring in. I am happy with the bike now.

Now that the bike does not scare me in the twisties, I am concentrating on skills. I am taking a Total Control advanced riding clinic to help with that.

If I later feel the need for an even better front-end, I'll do the Traxxion full monty. I truly do feel it is the best setup for the GL1800, but I've decided to spend the money on gear and skills training for now. Maybe next year...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Not to disrespect 1947dude.
All balls was By far the best thing I did to mine so far.
The Progressive springs I didn't notice near the difference I did with the All Balls.
The only way I can describe the feeling is, The bike just feels like it should now. I go around corners and curves with more confidence now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front end feel kind of "rubbery"? Never ridden a 'wing before? Ride it some more, you'll get used to it.
Yes it does and yes I have...2005 along with these...and these are only the street bikes! I'm not new to motorcycles of any kind...large/small...heavy/light. My '05 handled much better.

CL100
CB360
CX500C
CB450SC Nighthawk
1984 VF700C Magna
1986 VF700C Magna
650 Nighthawk
1995 PC800 Pacific Coast
1993 Katana
1996 CBR600F3
1999 FXST Softail
2000 BMW F650
2000 Concours
2001 FXDXT/FXDL Low Rider
2002 FLSTC Heritage Softail
2003 VTX1800
2004 FLHTC Electraglide Classic
2005 Goldwing
2006 FXDWGFI Wide Glide
1998 Guzzi V11 EV
2005 DL650
2006 FLTRI Road Glide
2007 FXDLI Low Rider
1993 XL1200 Sportster “drag”
2007 DL1000
2007 R1200GS
2008 ST1300
2008 GL1800

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I would recommend using Progressive front springs with a 7wt fork oil. You will find that combination will help greatly with the front end suspension.

JMHO

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'd do the nickel fix for AD and add a fort brace first. Easy and cheap compared to anything else.

Try that first, then see if you want to go further.

S

·
0 Posts
I have had a couple ST11's and have one now along with a Valkyrie and shadow so I know what you are saying.
Yes you should do a few things - definately disable the anti dive. A fork brace will help but don't spend the $250 for the 5 piece units - if your handy you can make one that works for $6.
I guess it's a matter of common and mechanical sense. If you have those two attributes then you will figure it out and not fall into big bucks spend-a-thon.

These bike are very fussy in regard to tires which have quite an impact on handling and what I call head shake. I could make some recommendations but not here.
All your concerns can be remedied for just a few dollars and a Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
go with TRAXXON front and rear you won't be sorry:thumbup:
Well I just ordered their brace, Progressive springs, Oil, and going to do the Anti-Dive. Maybe someday I'll do the Traxxion front end mod. Right now, I'm just recovering from the initial bike purchase...LOL.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
About how much does it take, and what is the air space...4.25"?

stock is 17.9oz & five inches and progressive does not change that even tho they are fatter.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts