GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a back rest but want to keep the boss back there happy so $ is a not a consideration on this one- welcome some thoughts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Warning-unpopular comment to follow.

IMO for most people doing ab crunches to firm yourself up will do away with the need for a backrest. Just Say'n. Flame suit on. (ok - some people with injurys or other problems might need one)

End Warning - flambé on...

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
My wife makes an excellent backrest when we are 2-up, but when I'm solo the Utopia is so easy to install and remove, plus an excellent backrest, even though it doesn't massage me when my neck gets stiff. Buy one of the CrisCo pull-pins, and it's on or off in less than a minute. Wife sez the remaining bracket is not noticed by her.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
A backrest makes it more difficult for both riders to get on. Yes you can fold it down. I prefer no backrest. I am in the minority here. But then I also don't care for passanger arm rest, Christmas lights, flags, rings of fire, or extra chrome.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use the Utopia on long rides and it does make a difference. Around town, it's not worth folding it continuously when mounting and dismounting.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Utopia :agree:

·
Registered
99 Posts
All I can say is don't buy the Kuryakyn. My wife hates it and won't even get on the bike unless I take it off. She says the uprights rub against her legs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Definately the Utopia, my wife always complained about the bars that mount the backrests to the bike, since I got the Utopia she loves it. Her legs no longer get sore from rubbin in the bars since there are no bars, and the backrest dont get in her way at all, and while we are drivin if I want a little adjustment I lean forward a bit and she adjusts the screw and changes the angle a bit on the backrest. Love it all the way around. You wont go wrong with the Utopia.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Utopia, the SO likes it, flip it down, she swings her right leg over and off. To get on she stands on the passenger foot rest put her right foot over the seat and nothing is in her way when we ride, if it keeps her happy...........I'm good!

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Again, the Utopia. I got mine via Fed Ex on Tuesday afternoon of last week and come Tuesday evening was out on a ride trying it out. Makes me wonder why they are not standard equipment. The nice thing about them is that look like OEM once they are mounted.

As if I needed another reason to go riding!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Received the Utopia for Father's Day. Now I just have to make the time to install it :?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts