GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm starting to search for the "best" driving lights for my 04 Candy Red. The ideal solution for me would be the ability to link them to the high beams for night driving and have them off when on low beam.

Want to see out as far as possible not just added cornering ability.

What's everyone's best choice.

Rick B
Tuscaloosa, AL
04 Candy Red

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Want to see out as far as possible not just added cornering ability.
Given this statement,I would rule out the EC Ions.They are very good lights,but do not give out the kind of light that you are looking for.
I don't have any personal experience with the white lights,but I do know that both Tulsa and EC are quality products.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Driving lights

Rick,

Take a look at the Motolights. Very bright and since they are on the forks you get lights where the forks are pointed. Maybe a little pricey but so was the wing.

http://www.motolight.com/

·
Registered
279 Posts
Go with Lewis at Electrical Connections. All of his products are plug and play on the Goldwing. He will be there with tech support if you have problems installing them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Driving lights

I put a pair of PIAA Pro XT 80's driving beams,120 watts each,on special stainless steel mounts made by Ron Smith (has a web site by same name)that bolt on behind the mirror mounts. The bracket hangs down under the mirror and the lights hang under that. Some people use the PIAA 910's which are a little smaller-about 4 3/4" versus the 6 1/2" of the XT's. The kit comes complete with wiring,switch and relay. I,ve been using this setup for about 5,000 miles now with no problems. I can unbolt the lights from the brackets and carry them or leave them home if I'm not doing any serious riding where they are needed and I can hook them up and reaim against a wall in less than 5 minutes. I figure that it takes about 5-7HP off the engine at 100mph but I do not travel this speed at night. At 65mph the added wind drag combined with alternator drag with lights on amounts to about 3-4hp. In truth I have not noticed any difference at all.
This setup is only for serious extra light. It is highly illegal,but used judiciously it will leave no excuse for not knowing what is front of you for a 1/2 mile down the road.

S

·
0 Posts
driving lights

Rick , I would also recommend the Piaas , 1100X PIAA SUPER WHITE DRIVING LAMP . Dichroic Driving lights increase the lighted area of vehicle high beams. Their broad beam pattern is especially useful on dark back roads, dramatically increasing visibility up and down hills and around corners. Fifty-five watt Dichroic lights, especially with Ion Crystal amber light, can be used a general purpose lights if aimed down to avoid offending oncoming traffic . Mount them under your mirrors and your set ! :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts