GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every engine and drive train combination has a best engine rpm to max out the mpg. Anybody happen to know the best one for a stock Goldwing? Just curious...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
stuff

Coasting?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
800 RPM's, in neutral, coasting down a steep mountain. Ok, kidding aside. I would say 5th gear, 50 to 55 MPH. As soon as you get over 3,000 RPM's the gas is sucked out quite fast.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I do a lot of my touring on sleepy back roads at 50-55 mph. ... less than 3,000 rpm's ... two up ... full (60lbs.) luggage ... AVERAGE 47 mpg ...

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
2800 rpm's produced 47 mpg on a trip to tunica pulling a loaded trailer, mostly super slab.

·
Registered
143 Posts
best mpg

It's been my experience that 3000 to 3100 RPM is a magic range for best MPG. That 's for 1500 or 1800. That'll give you 60 to 65 MPH. This just my experience and as they say yours may vary. Tom

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
When I bought my 05 GL1800 .. i rode back on the Natchez trace...
speed limit is 50MPH.. since my bike was new . I did not mind its a
enjoyable ride... I got right at 267 miles and the low fuel light never came on.. when I filled up it took 4.8 gals..

cosmic

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Get a Yamaha Vino 125, and you'll get 60 - 70 mpg. How can anyone in their right mind keep this beast under 3K? :roll:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Jim Henthorn said:
Every engine and drive train combination has a best engine rpm to max out the mpg. Anybody happen to know the best one for a stock Goldwing? Just curious...
Okay I am going to get a bunch of crap for this but here is how I feel. If you get a GL 1800 and you worry about MPG?

Ride it like the screaming bike that it is. Can't say that I ever sat down at the end of the month and decided that the bike was a budget buster on gas.

So whats the best rpm range for me.....just short of the red line.....

·
Registered
702 Posts
finleypj said:
Jim Henthorn said:
Okay I am going to get a bunch of crap for this but here is how I feel. If you get a GL 1800 and you worry about MPG?

Ride it like the screaming bike that it is. Can't say that I ever sat down at the end of the month and decided that the bike was a budget buster on gas.

So whats the best rpm range for me.....just short of the red line.....
Who's "worried"? The fella just asked a simple question...

AG GL

·
Registered
142 Posts
At 60mph (indicated speed) my engine's rpms are approx. 2500; 65mph about 2800 rpms; 70 mph 3000 rpms. Corresponding gas mileage is 50-52, 45-47, and 40-42. The best mileage I ever got was 57 driving south on Calif. Hwy 395 on a stretch where the posted speed was 60. All the above figures are with my wife aboard with me.

Someone once commented that the wing could use a 6th gear - that would allow 70mph with approx. 2500 rpms for great gas mileage.

G

·
Lord knows I've tried on multiple tanks of gas to squeeze out the best mileage possible. Just like I've tried on the last two sets of tires to make sure I make them last as long as possible.

All goes well for about 100 miles, then all hell breaks loose and I can't seem to control my right wrist. I have noticed the gas guage goes down considerably faster when I just about redline every shift, so I'd have to say, as other have said, if you accelerate gently and keep her under 3 grand, you mileage will be maximized.

I would love to have a sixth gear. That might just be enough to get one close to the buck fifty mark on the old speedometer, actual speed would obviously be less... :shock:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the answers guys - but what I was looking for was someone with an engineering degree who could figure rpms, fuel consumption and gear ratios and come up with a number. No - I'm not out to set a fuel economy record, or a mileage challange, just looking for an answer. So far it looks like 2800 rpm is a good bet. I'd love to see a graph of the variables - that would show what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Jim - Here's something to think about. Back in my youth I was into sport cars. I had a 61 Austin Healey Sprite. 948cc engine. I spent a lot of time reading and I seem to remember a technical article that basically said you would get the best gas mileage with the engine rpm's at the spec for the max break horse power. If an engine was rated at [email protected] rpm's then you would get your best mpg by running at 3200 rpm's. I tried this with the Sprite and it worked. I think it was about 4000 rpm for the Sprite which happened to be about 60 mph. I have not tried it since the Sprite but I plan to try it with the Wing when the snow goes away. :)

Now what is the spec on the GL1800? I am having trouble finding it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I tend to check my gas mileage at every fill-up; not for economy purposes, but to let me know if any abnormalities are present. If my mileage drops drasticaly for a couple of tanks, then I begin to look around for the cause.

When traveling out West, I did experience a drop in mileage on a tank or two, but then it went back to normal. I guessed that it was the lower octane gas, head winds or altitude since it did return to normal.

I generally run about 78-80 mph on the Interstates and get around 39-40 mpg. My starts tend to be closer to the "Jack-Rabbit" style than "Turtle". :wink:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My xp is agreeing with the 2800 RPM area. Tried 3000, 2000, 2500 and just below 3000 rpm seems a good compromise. It is the fast twist that kills the economy the most! 8)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sometimes gas stations are far apart, that would be good information to have if you are running on empty and trying to get to the next gas stop. :biker:

·
Registered
638 Posts
MCN says best milage is at the RPM that gives you peak torque not peak hp. so I'm not sure which is correct.

As for a sixth gear, since fifth gear is already overdrive I don't know if a sixth gear would have the power to overcome wind resistance enough at high speed to lower gas milage.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts