GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked out this part of GL1800riders and find you guys must really like to eat. 90% of the threads are about it. Are you ALL life members of GWRRA??? :joke:

Saturday I led a couple locals, friends of mine formerly from MI, up to the Brooksville area. The roads we hit north of there that I liked best were:

480 (Stage Coach)
581 (Snow Memorial Hwy - couldn't find any snow though)
39/439 (Istachatta Rd)
Daly Rd through a series of roads 'til it becomes Dempsey Rd (all corners 90 degrees but interesting scenery)
48 (stopped at a little deli by the river - great BBQ ribs -great value at $5.75 - all eating is at picnic tables outside - I recommend this place if in the area - we only hung around long enough to eat and then hit the saddles again)

South of Brooksville and heading home, we rode Mondon Hill/Spring Lake/Hayman/581.

For FL, these are pretty good roads.

1st question: Did I miss any we should have hit in that area?

I've been on all the roads east of Bradenton to Ft Myers over to Lake Okeechobee and have done all the roads through the Ocala Nat'l Forest.

I know about Ozello Trail - just haven't made it up there yet. Also understand there's some pretty good roads south and west of Tallahassee which I may get to on my ride back to MI in May. In a previous thread on this FL section of the board I saw one post about Hwy 13 from 207 to Jacksonville. Is that very congested?

2nd question: Any other suggested roads in FL?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
310 Posts
For me the best roads are between 52 and 44 from Brooksvile to Inverness.
You hit some of the good roads but there are some good roads to find if you explore the area. It is about the only place in Fl to find roads like that.
I eat at home and then RIDE. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
You got a lot of the good ones.

Not sure where you started on 581. Starting @ 52 & heading north it's called Bellamy Brothers Rd. On your right after Johnson and before Hayman is Bayhead Rd...a nice little road.
Also on the east side of I-75 north of 52 is Jessamine Rd which is oart of 578.

We just did a club ride of about 60 miles of backroads all thru that area. Shoot me an email and I send you a copy. Starts at the Flyin J on 52.
mabfeil(remove)@verizon.net

If you ever get down to Sar, stop at Haps Honda on 17th St. In the little customer area they got a Wall Map called "Back Roads Biker". Made a while ago by ?? but it covers from Tampa to Crystal R with a lot of info for eatin, seein, ridin. Think it only about $4. Check it out, I always carry it on the bike.

Check the link for other roads in Fla
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/SouthEast/FL/FL_index.htm

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Lake County has some good twisty roads. 561 from Hwy 27 north of Clearmont to Astutula is a good one and goes by Sugarloaf Mountain which is the highest point in Central Fla. Mt Plymoth road from Kelly park rd north of Apopka to Hwy 46 in Sorrento is very twisty for about a mile or so. SR 17 from just north of Avon Park to Haynes City parelles US 27 but way more senic going through the groves. US 1 and A1A on the east coast has great senic views of the Atlantic Ocean, but very heavy traffic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts