GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't think your trip calculator is correct , Does it work out that way in realistic calculations ?

I've seen 48 mpg, of course that is just local trips not long range trips , used a calculator and compared the bike and it was only a couple tenths difference.

If yours is correct tell us your secret :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think your trip calculator is correct , Does it work out that way in realistic calculations ?

I've seen 48 mpg, of course that is just local trips not long range trip , used a calculator and compared the bike and it was only a couple tenths difference.

If yours is correct tell us your secret
It is correct. Today was a calm 75f day. Put it on cruise control at 45 mph right after fillup. Rode about 30 miles non-stop.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just got back from trip on Natchez Trace Parkway fro Nashville to Natchez. MS. I averaged 50.1 when doing 50 - 55 mph fully loaded and I weigh 294 lbs. Now when I rode back up towards Western Ky, I used the I55 from Jackson MS to Memphis, TN, and that dropped to 47.1 No extra winds or rains on trips. Am happy with that, esp on regular 87 octane. 39 mpg, was best I could ever get from my 2007, but of course I was happy with that also. Hard to beat a Wing overall if you like laid back trips. Have even learned to pack more efficiently and leave stuff I don't use behind. Some call the Trace boring, guess that suits me, I enjoyed the no one was on my ass, and peaceful surroundings pace . Only busy around Jackson, MS . Stayed at French Camp B&B halfway through trip, and Riverboat B&B in Natchez. Found Vicksburg Civil War National Park interesting and rode through the park.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I averaged 55mpg in my Accord from South Lake Tahoe to Placerville last summer. It helped that it was almost all down hill. I wonder what the wing could do on that stretch?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Crazy but I tried a mileage run in Cali. last week in a rental '19 Corolla and got 42 mpg average with some city. This was over 500 miles. CVT tranny, no engine stop. Incredible how well a 2,900 lb. car can do vs. our bikes.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
850 Posts
Crazy but I tried a mileage run in Cali. last week in a rental '19 Corolla and got 42 mpg average with some city. This was over 500 miles. CVT tranny, no engine stop. Incredible how well a 2,900 lb. car can do vs. our bikes.
Aerodynamics and a CVT. Both are a HUGE benefit for efficiency.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I don't even begin to consider any gas mileage data unless I've gone at least 150 miles, and that is rare, I generally want close to 180.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had my bike less than a month and went on a group ride and mine showed 55.
I have never gotten that again.
I usually get 46 in Tour and 48 - 49 in Econ.
But then again I ride a combination of the city, freeway, and country roads.
The freeway, doing over 70 will drop the mileage, as does city riding.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
I get 41 mpg Tour/Sport

There is other modes??

·
Registered
316 Posts
Touring and cruise 41-42 highway at about 70-75mph mild-moderate cross-winds on the flat roads of Indiana.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My previous was 64 mpg. Today I did a 65 mpg. Along with a 64.7 with a projected tank mileage of 353 miles.
I can see this. I also get over 60 mpg IF I can ride at a steady 40-50 mph. If I have to stop even ONCE at a light or whatever, the MPG goes down considerably. Of course.

I real life, I am averaging just about 52 MPG. I always have the tire pressure where it's supposed to be, I'm easy on the throttle and I am relatively light. About 168 pounds.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My best mileage is on 55 mph roads in the mountains. I generally get well above 50 mpg, even loaded or with my wife on the back of the bike. (120 lbs wet.)
My worst mileage yet was on an Iron Butt run. The section between Picacho and Welton (Yuma), AZ on I-8. There were three of us, one guy on a Honda CB600F, and another on a 2004 Goldwing trike with his wife on the back (more than 120 lbs wet.) It is approximately 160 miles and I took on about 4.8 gallons. The guy on the trike actually wimped-out and stopped in Tacna, AZ, maybe 10 miles before we stopped. He took on 6.1 gallons. (Nobody cares about the CB600F...lol.
We were fighting a significant headwind and being led at that point by the CB600F. He's pretty good at holding speed, but he doesn't have cruise control or a throttle lock and our speed did vary somewhat. We averaged just about 82 mph on that section of the run. Later that day while on the Oatman Highway (route 10, turns into old route 66) heading to Kingman I was well above 50mpg.
BTW, our average speed for the Iron Butt attempt was 64 mph while we were also doing a Tour of Honor. Much of that was made up between Globe and Safford, AZ. It was dark...and a bit scary....lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The longer the trip, the more the MPG will decline. No offense meant, but "short" trips are really not an accurate gauge of "true" MPG. This weekend, I traveled 252 miles and averaged 49.7 mpg using 87 Octane, as a comparison. Some Interstate, some backroads (about 50/50). On my 2018 GWT6, I find that 65 mph is the sweet spot for optimal mpg while cruising long distances on the Interstate...except that where I live, I would be run over multiple times for going that slowly. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts