GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a GPS for my wing. I'm really looking at getting the Garmin 2820. Need input as to what you think is the best for long distance traveling. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I think one should really understand what their needs are in a GPS. Water resistant, vibration resistant, sufficient memory (or pre-loaded maps), auto-routing, XM, NEXRAD, ability to generated PC-designed routes, and the list goes on.

You have many riders here in Georgia that run a GPS...you might better serve your purpose and seek them out to see what they are using, how it's mounted, and why each rider choose the unit they have. Some of the rallies and rides are good places to meet them.

Good luck!

G

·
You will get as many different opinions as you do responses. Everyone's GPS needs are different. To me, the Garmin 2610 is an outstanding unit, for my purposes. To another, the 2610 falls short. Still another will think the 2610 has way to many features.

One thing you might want to consider. Get a GPS without a hard drive. Some have had good luck with them, while other have had lots of problems. Hard drive units in my opinion, do not take shock very well. In a car or truck, they do well, but on bikes, they seem to have problems.

Garmin has a unit coming out that is designed for bikes. You might check that unit out.

Good luck in your search. I hope you get the one you want the first time. It took me two tries to find the one I wanted.

·
Registered
707 Posts
As others have said before. First of all you need to decide what it is you want the GPS to do. The most obvious is to have a rolling map and doing some routing.

Here are a couple of points:

- Route generation from a PC
- MP3 included
- XM included
- NEXRAD included
- Amount of Track logs (to download traveled roads to a PC)
- Touchscreen or buttons
- Visibility of the screen in sunlight
- Data preloaded
- Using the GPS on another vehicle (i.e. boat)

Personally I've opted for the 378 as it fits my personal needs and requirements. It might be overkill for you or not do what you want it to do. Because a GPS works for one person might not make it suitable for anyone else. That's one of the reasons there are so many different GPS sytems on the market.

Reiner

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Best GPS for the Wing

I just installed a 2820, and I'm very pleased so far. However, I completely agree with the others that what you get should be dictated by what you want from the systme, not what others like or don't like.

I chose the 2820 becasue I wanted a hands free system for my phone that would also integrate all the sound from the GPS, the XM radio and the phone into the on-board intercom system into my headset.

The bonuses for me were the solid state memory (relatively immune to road vibration issues) and the PC software that makes route planning so easy. I just created three loop routes, including wayoints of my choosing, for a trip I'm taking next week. Just download in the GPS and no need to look at paper maps, or in my case, rely on a very poor navigator in the pillion! Both are distracting. The text to speech voice prompts allow you to keep your eyes on the road at all times!

Good luck!

I really recommend you think about what features/uses are important to you and then contact either Jon (a member of this board) at www.goldwinggadgets.com or someone at www.cyclegadgets.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts