GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellas and Ladies,

Looking for some input into what GPS unit to buy for my wing. Looking for something that is weatherproof, easy to use yet capable enough to store your routes and has bluetooth. Also any input on mounting and hook-up to the Wing audio system would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Dick

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Garmin Zumo is about the best for the things you want in a GPS. Several models to choose from, but price is higher for a waterproof GPS.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You need to have a budget in mind. If it's high, a Zumo is for you. If it's not, look into a Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550. They can be had rebuilt for a great price and are waterproof. I've had my rebuilt Nuvi 500 for several years and have used it on the bike for trips with several days of it being rained on and for daily use in the work truck. It still keeps on ticking. You can download routes from Mapsource into it also. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does everything I need it to do.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As everyone has told you about the only thing that meets your needs (waterproof is the hard one) is a Garmin Zumo 660 or 665. I have mine mounted using the two screws that attach the lid on the clutch reservoir with a RAM mount. You can just Google "RAM Mount" to find them. With your 660 or 665 you will receive a mount that attaches to the two screws that go horizontally into the left or right hand control assembly. That mount may work for you as well.

For what it is worth I use the Garmin for navigation (it is much much better than the built in nav system) and I use the Wing's nav to watch the weather using XM Weather. Here in the Northwest part of the US we get lots of rain and being able to avoid it is nice.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I have the Zumo 660 and love it! It has everything I need and has worked perfectly for over a year! Highly recommended! :thumbup:

·
Registered
818 Posts
+1 Zumo 665. Best GPS in my opinion. You will love it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Best GPS

Guys,

I have the Nuvi 500, happy with the waterproof feature, finally learned how to import custom routes. To those who are using the more expensive Zumo, what are the major benefits to be gained by upgrading? Does the Zumo use the same power input interface?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Does the Nuvi 500 work through the intercom?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Does the Nuvi 500 work through the intercom?
No. I never have the speaker on anyway. It annoys me even in the work truck. You have plenty of warning on when to turn just by looking at the screen once in a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts