GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first 1800 Goldwing. I have never had an intercom before. What is the best sounding headset on the market? The quality of the speakers is very important to me. Dan

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Let us know when you have the answer. So far, we have more opinions on headsets than girlfriends. Some will say J&M are OK, some are happy with Hondaline (made by J&M, I think), some will say EdSets, some will swear by Sierra, others will swear at anything. I would guess the highest percentage is J&M (and they are likely the most expensive), followed by Sierra, then others. None are concert quality, but neither is the Honda radio.

You might run a search on this site for headsets, strain out the BS, and take a chance. You will find a lot of good information here, just consider it as an aid, then make a choice.

Good Luck. BTW, I have J&M Modular, and am satisfied. But I have 65 year old hearing.........huh?

·
Registered
41 Posts
best headsets available

I use the J&M headsets JM-HSECD477-FL model they are installed in HJC SY-MAX helmets. I installed the first set myself. I have 3 SY-MAX helmets and use the same headsets in all of them. My girlfriend said she wanted to start riding also, that is where the other 2 SY-MAX's come into the picture. Ordered them from Sierra www.sierra-mc.com . If you shop around you can find them for varied prices. The more expensive ones will have better quality sound, since they use better drivers for the ear sets. It is basically just a matter of taste, and what one intends to use the headset for. I like the fact that the J&M has a neat 2 piece cord. And i am very satisfied with my decision.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have 4 J&M patch cords each with one of the little pins broken off on the helmet end. At anywhere from $40 to $50 a copy, this gets pretty damn annoying after a while. I understand they have changed their design but that doesn't help unless I want to buy new headsets. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep, with time and use, the little pins do break/loosen. I purchased mine thru Sierra and I've mailed back 3 or 4 with either pin problems or intermittent mike errors. They've replaced them at no charge each time. I keep an extra upper cord with me whenever traveling but I really do like the J&M headsets.

Lisa

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Like Lisa, I have had pins break off twice on my J&M's obret the last five or six years. Each time, I sent them back to J&M, and gotten them back very quickly, repaired, no charge. And, like her, I also carry a spare cord for the same reason.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Seems to me that you are going to get a lot of variation in your result with any headset based upon the helmet you select. Since the ear phones are likely not exactly resting firmly upon your ears and are not likely aimed squarly into your ear canals as they would be on a headband; your going to lose a lot of teh coupling and thus fidelity and signal to noise ratio. Number one, get a helmet that fits your head type and has phone pockets that closely match your ear location. You may be able to shim up the pones to press against your ears with foam rings or such. I have a set of Handaline and two Sierra's. The latter are better overall, but neither is bad. Hondaline is $$$$$.

prs

What this country needs is a good set of insert phones for the GL1800!

2,731 Posts
I've not had other headset so my experience is limited but

I love the Air Rider's I have installed in my Schuberth Concept flip-front helmets. They work very well and have had them for 4 years now (where did all that time go?) and would probably replace them with the same if I got the Concept helmets again.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Anyone else having this problem?
Yes kickback, my wife's microphone pin
broke off in her helmet. A new cord won't
help because there is still a pin in the helmet.
I am not even going to try and fix this system.
No more little PINs for a big 1800cc internal
combustion beast for me! Only 1/8" stereo
jacks from now on. I have used the pin
layout, and made REGULAR computer headsets
with a microphone work. You need a bias box
thing from KOSS's website. It all works, it
is just dangling everywhere. One of these
days I will tie it all neatly together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the HJC

I have had the $99 HJC headsets for three years now, one in my helmet, one in my wifes. Great deal, especially if you don't want to spend more for a stinkin' lower cord. IMHO J&M's should come w/ hookup cords. Just one more way for them to rip you off!

I have them in HJC Symax helmets now. Had 'em in my old HJC CL-12's for 3 prior to new Symax's.

If you don't like the sound of the speakers that come w/ the set, go to Wal-Mart, buy a set of decent headphones and swop them out. I used KOSS headphones, cost about $10 and it sounds awesome.

I have never had any failures w/ these sets in 3 years. I'm very happy!

My 2 cents,

Scott
'03 Illusion Blue :D

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts