GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to my 08 GL1800, I own a Yamaha Star Raider. I have to look over the low windshield which causes to much wind noise for me. So I'm looking for a full face helmet that is the best for reducing wind noise. Any suggestions on which brand and model I should purchase? My ears are still ringing from yesterdays ride.

·
Love The DCT
11,794 Posts
In addition to my 08 GL1800, I own a Yamaha Star Raider. I have to look over the low windshield which causes to much wind noise for me. So I'm looking for a full face helmet that is the best for reducing wind noise. Any suggestions on which brand and model I should purchase? My ears are still ringing from yesterdays ride.
Arai full face helmets are pretty quiet. Even wearing a helmet, I would recommend wearing ear plugs to protect your hearing. webBikeWorld has done many reviews on helmets. :doorag:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
You are never gonna get rid of all of it, but you can reduce it more by wearing ear plugs. Helmets are like oil and tires, everyone has their reasons of choice.

You didn't mention what shape your head is, oval, round or block, and it does make a difference in helmet choice. Also, consider letting us know what price range you are looking for, that too covers a wide area.

My head shape is oval and fullface helmet of choice is the Arai Profile.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
ZOX Armada is pretty quiet. Still wear earplugs though. It is the closest helmet I have had that I could go without them, but think it is still a good idea and have worn them so long I feel like I forgot something when without them.

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. Functionality (reducing wind noise) is more important than price; head shape is oval.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ear plugs

In Addition to my GL1800, I own the Star 1300. I didn't start out riding with ear plugs on the 1300 and I wore a 1/2 helmet. Now I wear a full face GMAX and ear plugs. You can actually hear better with the plugs in. I probably tried 10 different kinds before I finally settled on the one I like. I to went to http://www.webbikeworld.com to get information on a helmet and ear plugs. The GMAX helmet was the top rated one in the 2007 tests. I love it for the fact that it is the best vented helmet I have found. I can ride in 100° temps and stay cooler than my old 1/2 helmet.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
http://ufo-productions.com/Street-Helmets/Zox-Armada-R-SVS-Motorcycle-Helmet-Stoked-Graphic/flypage-ask.tpl.html

I have this one. Great lid, built in sunshield, great viser. I don't know about the compaqny selling on this site, but no way I would ever recomend the one I went through, at least they are a US company.
If you want the ZOX rep who really made a customer for life PM and I'll send you his email. He doesn't sell them but promised that he had a good distributor line. He didn't BS me so far. BTW, although they fit pretty much true to size, I am on the border of XL and L. I had to get the xl cheek pads, so one might order big if you wear a dew rag or helmet liner.
I Have the round to oval head and these have been great.

Good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
512 Posts
There are a gazillion modular helmets out there. This is what I have and am very happy with it. This will give you something to compare yet another. This is what I will buy again if I ever need another helmet FWIW. They give a chart in their info on how to measure your head for correct size. This will give you a good idea of what you should actually have size wise.
Masei 815 :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MASEI-815-SILVER-MODULAR-FLIPUP-MOTORCYCLE-ICON-HELMET-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem25600c14fcQQitemZ160525194492QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

Take Care,
BC

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep , a Shoei is perhaps the quietest helmet of them all. But it is not cheap.

I run a very short shield, all the time. I prefer a modular flip but they are noisy, noisy and more noisy so I wear ear plugs with them.

But the full face Shoei is very quiet. And warm in the winter. About as quiet as you can get I think. But it fogs the eye shield in cold weather at slow speed, unless you crack it open a bit. So you never totally win the battle, they all have some kind of something.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Nice one Trike Lady, what a crack up.
Scott

·
Registered
92 Posts
The full face I got with a new 97 Wing from Honda, there is no name any where on the helmet, but it sure is still the quietest one I have used. Wraps down around my neck, that seems to keep lots of noise out. Face shield is silent. Love it

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
+1 on the Schuberth. I tried on one couple of weeks ago at Moto Liberty and was very impressed. It is supposed the be the quietest modular helmet available. Its on my short list to buy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the ZOX Genesis RN2 and really like it a lot! Pretty quiet and very comfortable. Have worn it all day for 17 days straight and no problems with tight spots like in previous helmets I have had. Put the headset in my self and can hear really well. Wife wears a Caberg and she is always telling me to turn up the volumn when I can hear fine, and she tells me all the time that I am hard of hearing!:shrug:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shoei RF-1100 is quiet but not cheap. It comes with a couple of add ons that go below the lower face guard that make it even quieter. It even comes with recesses for intercom speakers so no need for cutting styrofoam. I love mine but found that they run on the small side. I had to reorder one size larger than their size chart recommended.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In Addition to my GL1800, I own the Star 1300. I didn't start out riding with ear plugs on the 1300 and I wore a 1/2 helmet. Now I wear a full face GMAX and ear plugs. You can actually hear better with the plugs in. I probably tried 10 different kinds before I finally settled on the one I like. I to went to http://www.webbikeworld.com to get information on a helmet and ear plugs. The GMAX helmet was the top rated one in the 2007 tests. I love it for the fact that it is the best vented helmet I have found. I can ride in 100° temps and stay cooler than my old 1/2 helmet.
Which model GMAX helmet do you have? I would like to have a better vented helmet for those hotter days.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Proper fit of a helmet has quite a bit to say about quietness on any helmet, expensive or not.

Most expensive helmet out there ain't worth a fiddlers damn, if it don't make a seal, and fit correctly.

Bulldog

·
Registered
440 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts