GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if some of the veteran travellers would share their knowledge of acquiring the best rates at decent hotel/motels?
All responses and info would be appreciated.
TIA

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hey Popatop, we usually stay at Super 8 motels. All we are looking for is reasonable and clean. When traveling, we normally stay a maximum of three days and usually only one night. Have only encountered one Super 8 that was not up to their usual standard in the last 8 years or so.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hotel

If your are over 50 use aarp discount , Trey enterainment book. call ahead to ask for the best rate.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Best Rates

I am going to get in trouble befroe the end of the answer.

1. If you are not fussy always try Priceline.com I have always been able to get rates 50% below the convetion rate in cities like Baltimore, and Atlanta. Make sure you bid at least 55% below the full rack rate. Also understand their rules. Very difficult to make a change.

2. I am seldom asked for verificaton of my AARP card or AAA card. So you should never pay more then those rates. Occcaionally I have asked and gotten the goverment rate. (All withour the cards)

3. Always be a member of the hotels point club. If you travel a lot you can get free rooms, and upgrades. It can often make the difference of free local calls and or internet service.

·
Registered
380 Posts
We look for Hamptom Inns, you may pay a couple of dollars more, But as far as claen you can't ask for more, plus coffee pots in the rooms and the continental breakfasts are nice too. :flg: :sw1:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes they cost more. But they are really consistant. The franchise holders are held to some of the highest standards in the industry. I will always stay in a Hampton when and where available.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Reserve your rooms early. I reserved for Honda Homecoming in mid-December. I got a room at the AmeriHost Inn in Marysville for $52 a night.

I've just about had it with Super 8's and Days Inns. The quality seems to be going down as the price goes up. The Super 8's in Columbus Indiana and Marshall, Texas... and the Downtown Knoxville Days Inn are all not worth staying at.

I'll stay at ones that I've stayed at before, but won't take any chances on any that I haven't visited before. Too risky.

I like Drury Inns, based out of St. Louis. They also have properties called Pear Tree Inns.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I know its a pain, but when I travel I look for the best rates on the billboards and then ask them to honor rates of the cheaper hotels. (knight inn) It ususally works.
Other times I do book ahead at the bigger rallies. It is getting very expensive and with the gas prices just don't know how they can justify the higher rates.
I also like Drury, but usually stay at Super 8's Joy

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I will check rates with the Choice Hotels, I can quite often find a decent price at a Comfort Inn or Sleep Inn, Microtels are normally pretty good, the only Microtel that I ever stayed in that wasn't up to their normal standard was in Knoxville, on the west side. Super 8's aren't very consistent, most are decent but you do run into some that are below normal standards, I won't ever stay in a Ramada Inn again, the 2 filthiest hotels I have ever spent a night were both Ramadas. :crazy:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if you know in advance where your going to end up, priceline is great. you can stay at holiday, marriot, sheraton, etc for less than the price of the cheap chains.

it takes a little skill to get the priceline best prices. i only put in where i want to stay. if they say no to the price. i add another city regionthats waaaay expensive and add a couple $$ to the offer. dont listen to that you need to raise it by $ 9 or more bolagna.

only problem is once you buy it, its not refundable.

if you dont know where your going to end up, travelocity works well for me. once again you stay in a much nicer room than the small chains, for the same $$. you can also get real cheap if you want to.

the problem with days, nights and not so super 8, is the range of quality of their motels. some are nice and others are 40 years old and real crap holes.

yes the more time you have ahead to book something, the better off you will end up.

loren

·
Registered
271 Posts
Pick up the free coupon books. Just before the FL Dist Rally, my wife and I needed a Motel near Ft. Myers,FL. If you have traveled in FL during Feb & Mar, you know rooms are expensive. She found a coupon for $64.

If you are picky about their condition, just ask to see the room first.

Two Harley riders got a room next door to us for $95. That was the cheapest they could get even trying AARP, and some Harley membership, etc. They seemed very happy about the tip to pick up the free coupon book the next time they need lodging. We have found the coupons to usually beat any other discount.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. Your time and information is valued very much.
Hope to see y'all tomorrow.

:yw1: With Hannigans sidecar, of course.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you know where you will be, book in advance. Always push for some kind of a deal and you will get one. Getting a room is like buying a car from a dealer. Persist at the desk telling them anything about AAA or AARP no matter you are a member or not. They will play the game with you and might even let you walk away from the desk before they call you back. Be prepared to walk and check other Motels nearby if the deal doesn't sound good. Check for bed taxes so there are no surprises later. Look at the room if you are in doubt about the age or upkeep on the Motel. Newer motels are the way to go. Owners tend to let them run down with age. I have seen a new Motel 6 look better than a Comfort Inn that was older. I like Holiday Inn Express but found one that was a dump in New Mexico. First room the cieling had fallen in. Second room had pipes vibrating and making loud noises in the walls. Third room the air conditioner didn't work. Fourth room there was a guy slapping skin in the room above me, kept me awake all night.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Being in the hotel biz let me tell you the real trick, AARP/AAA is not a real discount, hotel only have to offer 10% off rack rates.
Call the hotel as early as possible, look on the internet, ask about specials, use the entertainment card, if you belong to any roadside service they usually have access to discount cards, and informed traveler is hard to say no to. Remember hotels rooms are a supply and demand comodity, high supply low demand = low price, high demand low supply=HIGH price. Most major chains will honor whatever rate you find on priceline or the other internet sales areas, rmember the hotel sells the rooms to priceline etc.. and they mark them up, the hotel would rather sell you the room personally and make all the $ themselves.

Always check the chains website such as hiexpress.com
Just a little info from someone in the industry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
we get motel coupon books from most truck stops. here in the southwest almost all have them. average room rate about 40 bucks. i agree that if you aren't sure, ask to see the room first. we both have bad backs, and found that out the hard way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts