GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got ahold of a GoPro Hero 5 camera and all the mounts. I thought I’d just slap it on the bike but then wondered, maybe this isn’t as obvious as I think it is. So, any advice on camera mounting locations? I was thinking on the left mirror shell or smack dab in the middle of the front cover, over the headlights. Better locations? Bad locations that seemed good at first? I’d like to get it right as the mounts I’ve got use super-duty 3M VHM automotive adhesive tape and I’m guessing that’s a one shot deal (and hard to remove for that reason, too).

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Drair,
I designed and actually sold quite a few of my mounts for the Go Pro camera to lots of folks on here, waaaaaay back about 7-8 years ago. Many, many of the users really liked where I designated it should go. And that was on the lowest left corner of the windshield. It was a clamp system. In that position, it held the earlier versions of the Go Pro in such a manor that, almost ZERO percentage of the bike was filmed in anyone's videos. You saw, at most, a section of the front of the fairing about the size of a nickel in the corner of your screen you're looking at right now, based whether or not you're looking at a computer, not a phone screen.

Anyway, since you were asking, I thought I'd throw that idea at ya. And, being in that position, you could operate that Go Pro with zero danger to operating the bike. But, todays versions are much more easily operated. Good luck on your search.
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Yoda sells a mount that clamps on the lower corner of the windshield as FIRE UP described. These are easy on / easy off, but I would suggest if you go this route, go to Amazon and buy one of the aluminum GoPro mounts. The plastic bases that come with the GoPro's tend to crack, leading to the potential for your GoPro to drop to the pavement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I might be in a minority but I actually like when you can see a little bit of a motorcycle in the shot. A corner of a windshield, a part of a dashboard, a mirror,... To me that looks like it was filmed while riding a motorcycle, from a perspective of a rider. I really like Yoda's mount but it does not provide that "motorcycle perspective".

Again, I'm probably in a minority and most people would probably like an unobtrusive shot..... And I'm still looking for a good position for the camera, too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had my GoPro mounted in this location on two bikes for a total of about 5-6 years. I use the included GoPro adhesive mounts. I have ridden this trike in several places that one would not normally ride and have never had a problem....it could happen, but that's a long time with no problems. I also have a mount on the top center of one helmet and another on the side of a yet another helmet. I also have a mount on the underside of my luggage rack for rear facing videos. I have never used mounts other than the GoPro adhesive mounts.
27 - 68 - 7001.jpg
27 - 68 - 7002.jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another thumbs up for Yoda's mount. I used that on a cross country trip using the original Go-Pro. (this is one of the videos:
)

The newer Go Pros will offer less shaking, but as you know, some roads are rough and mounting on the bike will not be optimum.

Some of the best videos I have taken when I mounted the Go Pro on top on my helmet. It looks dorky, but your neck and head will buffer the camera. Downside (or not) is that you will see the bike in the video.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
This is a question rather than a statement but wouldn't a helmet mounted camera make for a smoother vibration video?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
deleted.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Another thumbs up for Yoda's mount. I used that on a cross country trip using the original Go-Pro. (this is one of the videos:
)

The newer Go Pros will offer less shaking, but as you know, some roads are rough and mounting on the bike will not be optimum.

Some of the best videos I have taken when I mounted the Go Pro on top on my helmet. It looks dorky, but your neck and head will buffer the camera. Downside (or not) is that you will see the bike in the video.

Hope this helps!
Great video! All over the west (but generally NW). Very relaxing and beautiful to watch. Music was appropriate. A great way to think about something other than being stuck inside. Everyone go enjoy a virtual ride with this video.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice! I mounted my Hero 7 Black on the left mirror & use a wire tether so it doesn’t get lost! The Gopro wireless remote (wrist) makes it easy to start/stop recording!
Thanks for the location info. Quick follow up unrelated: Where did you get that extended sun shield for your GPS? Mine extends only about 1" and that's often inadequate.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might be in a minority but I actually like when you can see a little bit of a motorcycle in the shot. A corner of a windshield, a part of a dashboard, a mirror,... To me that looks like it was filmed while riding a motorcycle, from a perspective of a rider.
I tend to agree...the shot should be framed and seeing a bit of the platform (MC, boat, airplane) lends perspective.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have mine on the windscreen like Alwrncusn....same type of mount...offset from the centerline of the bike as the camera's lens is not in the center of camera's body....the farther you stray from the center of the bike, the more the camera may shake...like a lever arm or extension arm, little shakes turn into big ones. Never liked helmet mounted as I turn my head too much scanning the mirrors and highway...keeping a high visual horizon...hth

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had my GoPro mounted in this location on two bikes for a total of about 5-6 years. I use the included GoPro adhesive mounts. I have ridden this trike in several places that one would not normally ride and have never had a problem....it could happen, but that's a long time with no problems. I also have a mount on the top center of one helmet and another on the side of a yet another helmet. I also have a mount on the underside of my luggage rack for rear facing videos. I have never used mounts other than the GoPro adhesive mounts. View attachment 367029 View attachment 367030 View attachment 367029 View attachment 367030
This is a question rather than a statement but wouldn't a helmet mounted camera make for a smoother vibration video?
It does make for a slightly smoother (depends on road surface for the bike mount option of course) but I have to remind myself NOT to suddenly turn my head because that is disconcerting to suddenly have the video yaw to port or starboard :oops::oops:. Those can be edited out of course. My trike videos are usually very smooth. Hannah and I recently rode 15 miles or so along a gravel washout in places road and the videos were still quite good. I unfortunately deleted them (hard drive space!) and kept the photos we took instead. That was on Norma Road off highway 116 aka Devils Triangle in east Tennessee.
NOTE: I don't know why these posts are inserting two of the same photos.????

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
)

Hope this helps!
Nice video, Nice area to ride, BUT very mad at you... Cause you didn't invite me to ride with you................. LOL [these pic's will be a life time of wonderful memories]
I'm jealous!
A few years ago my wife and I flew to Alaska, and rented a bike, and we toured the area, the best we could via two wheels... Our only problems was that the bike we rented wasn't set up for touring, so we had carry all our stuff in a nap sack....and sleep in hotels instead of camping...and we have NO PICTURES of our trip....
Ronnie

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I tend to agree...the shot should be framed and seeing a bit of the platform (MC, boat, airplane) lends perspective.
Well, it's a matter of opinion. When I designed and sold my mounts on here years ago, many appreciated the fact that you didn't see any of the bike in the photo/video shots. The reason(s) was/were that, we all know what the bike looks like, the wheels turning, ground going by in relation to the wheels etc. Theirs and my thoughts back then, (and mine now) is/were, why film the bike? So, just to see pure scenery was the goal for about 99.99% of my purchasers. As for the camera being more stable if its in the center of the bike, well, not really true. I have a very early version of the Go Pro, as did many of the folks on here waaaaaaay back then and, the I.S or, Image Stabilization was pretty good, even in those years standards. It's considerably better now with todays technological advancements. My videos had little to no vibration in them.

But, that was then, this is now. If one want's a portion of the bike, boat, air plane etc. in the picture, well, it's your camera and your shots, have fun.
Scott

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good advice! I mounted my Hero 7 Black on the left mirror & use a wire tether so it doesn’t get lost! The Gopro wireless remote (wrist) makes it easy to start/stop recording!
I liked that location, too. I don't have the remote but with the unit there it seems I could easily use my left hand to just tap it to start and stop recording. Think I'll try that, there, first.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I tried it first without the Gopro remote. It was doable, but not easy . . . especially with motorcycle gloves on! The remote just made it soooo much much easier & safer!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well, it's a matter of opinion. When I designed and sold my mounts on here years ago, many appreciated the fact that you didn't see any of the bike in the photo/video shots. The reason(s) was/were that, we all know what the bike looks like, the wheels turning, ground going by in relation to the wheels etc. Theirs and my thoughts back then, (and mine now) is/were, why film the bike? So, just to see pure scenery was the goal for about 99.99% of my purchasers. As for the camera being more stable if its in the center of the bike, well, not really true. I have a very early version of the Go Pro, as did many of the folks on here waaaaaaay back then and, the I.S or, Image Stabilization was pretty good, even in those years standards. It's considerably better now with todays technological advancements. My videos had little to no vibration in them.

But, that was then, this is now. If one want's a portion of the bike, boat, air plane etc. in the picture, well, it's your camera and your shots, have fun.
Scott
Yep....I knew I was in a minority when I said I like a bike partially in my shot. Yea, whatever works for either...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts