GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have to install a rack on the tour pack of my GW. I realize this has not been recommended by some here. However, if I do install one, it would be with the appropriate washers (metal/rubber) outside and inside both.
Could I get a few opinions from you guys as to which rack has held up the best, is the strongest, etc. based on your experience?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Strength isn't really the issue because the weight limit is set by the plastic it's mounted to, rather than the rack itself.

It's a personal thing but I use a tubular rack because I prefer the look of it. To my mind, the billet ones just don't suit the bike.

I'm careful about how much weight I carry on the rack and have had no problems in almost four years.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have the Kury one that was installed by the previous owner, but a tubular one would be easier to use for bungee cords.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have the Kury one that was installed by the previous owner, but a tubular one would be easier to use for bungee cords.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Don't have one now and don't want one, but on my other three wings I used the MC products rack...I liked the way it wrapped around the back of the passenger backrest, it looked the best for me....it's tubular also..

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
The ShowChrome/AddOn works well. I have had mine on since Jan 01 and it had never given me a problem. I used the Pyramid washers under the feet, and put some thin packing foam between the inner and outer trunk shells to distribute the load on both pieces of plastic. Also adding the vinyl tube to the inside of the trunk molding helps, as do rubber bumpers under the trunk lip.

This is why I do NOT like a Kury - and this rack is only two years old. Look at the chrome peeling off the legs.....

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
KYBLUE said:
Don't have one now and don't want one, but on my other three wings I used the MC products rack...I liked the way it wrapped around the back of the passenger backrest, it looked the best for me....it's tubular also..
+1 The MC one just has a better look than the Big Bike Parts one, IMO.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This is why I do NOT like a Kury - and this rack is only two years old. Look at the chrome peeling off the legs...
They definitely have a problem with their chrome quality. I have a Kuryakyn backrest which is rusting and pitting and spotting and has never been wet except when I wash the bike. And, two sets of Kuryakyn pegs which have peeling chrome. One is less than one year old.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a nice looking tubular I purhcased from Drag Specialties (sp) for around $60. It is still in the bag and not installed. My biggest concern is will it start to rust after a while. I think I will put it outside for a while and see if it does. Also I Have not gotton the nerve up to drill four holes in that beautiful silver metalic paint. I did buy some finder washers for underneath and some star washers to go on top although I am not to crazy about the way the star washers look.

I use to be indecisive but now I am just not sure!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
rack

http://www.americanmotorcycleaccessorie ... od=AMA2003

I have this one, a tad pricy but high quality and great chrome job, large rubber backed washers. These are the same folks who make the Super Brace. Remember, after mounting a rack, gently close the trunk lid and push to lock it, DO NOT DROP IT to close otherwise your lid will suddenly look like a spider on LSD wove a web on it.
Buck

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Best luggage rack is no luggage rack.

Reasoning for me is-

poor quality racks available
most who have one don't use them
those that do overload them
they detrack from the wings clean lines
weight up high hurts handling
they are overpriced
excessive weight can crack trunk lid

JMHO

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Now that is what I call good looking for a rack install .... Thanks, Vettman

·
Registered
102 Posts
I purchased a tube type from WingStuff for $68.99 and have been very happy with it. Easy install and easy to clean around and under. Not too heavy and easy to use bungie cords with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have you considered one of these?

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have the tubular rack on my 03. I also put star washers and rubber washers on to help spread the weight stress out a little. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't put a rack on the trunk. As I never use it due to the 2 pound weight limit for the trunk lid. And I got a Harbor Freight trailer and mounted a Sears car top carrier on it. Along with a Bushtec hitch and harness. You forget the trailers there. But I have to remember... next wing, no rack. :oops:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts