GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are ya'll using for maintenance videos? I had Fred Harmon's video series for my 01 wing. I see there is a Cruiseman's video series now. Which one are y'all using and why? I need to order these because I want to do a shock upgrade on the bike and I want to do it myself. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Hands down Fred Harmon's videos. He does total maintenance plus. Way more in depth. And he's here on the board always helping people. Good guy.

The other guy is/was a blogger for cruise ships like the Love Boat. The name has nothing to do with motorcycles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like Fred Harmon's maintenance videos best, and $90.00 seems like a fair price for what you he shows you. If you broke any panel on the bike trying to remove it on your own, I doubt you would be able to buy it from Honda for anything close to $90.00. Money well spent in my book.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought Fred's for my '04 wing, then sold the wing and the DVDs. Just bought a NOS 2016 and bought the DVDs again. I have seen some of the Cruiseman vids on youtube and they look helpful, but Fred's are much more detailed and in depth. I ripped the DVD vids to my Samsung tablet and take it out with me when I am doing some maintenance. Makes it really handy.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I bought Fred's for my '04 wing, then sold the wing and the DVDs. Just bought a NOS 2016 and bought the DVDs again. I have seen some of the Cruiseman vids on youtube and they look helpful, but Fred's are much more detailed and in depth. I ripped the DVD vids to my Samsung tablet and take it out with me when I am doing some maintenance. Makes it really handy.

How the heck did you rip them to your tablet? Sure would like to have them on my I-Pad. I am not a fan of taking my laptop out to the garage. Putting them on my IPad would be muchw more convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I recommend Fred's Videos. He actually works on the bikes for a living.

I would not view CRUISEMANS Videos for free. It is all fluff. He leaves out many steps

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have both also. Each give you different perspectives of doing the job, and both are good.
You can watch some of each of these videos on YouTube to get the feel for what each style is like.
I don't prefer one over the other, they both do a good job of showing you what you need to do and how to do it correctly without damaging your bike.
Oh, I have noticed that Cruiseman's garage has a lot of accessory installations on YouTube.
Also, Cruiseman's videos cost more the last time I checked.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How the heck did you rip them to your tablet? Sure would like to have them on my I-Pad. I am not a fan of taking my laptop out to the garage. Putting them on my IPad would be muchw more convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, I didn't rip them direct to the tablet. I used Handbrake to get them to my Windows PC and then just copied to the tablet.

**Downloading any software free or otherwise from the internet inherently has risks - please only download from reputable sites and make sure you have good up-to-date anti-virus and anti-malware protection.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
...........so what do you guys think of Fred's videos? :laugh:

Another vote for Fred Harmon here.....more detailed IMHO with a lot of added information like screw sizes and tricks on panel removal.
Very detailed disassembly.......and price is much more reasonable.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I need to get one of my kids to teach me how to do that (rip Fred's vids to tablet). That's gotta be handier than a pocket on a shirt. LOL

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Cruiseman's work is good but twice the price of Harmon's. I can't imagine he is getting near the traffic of Harmon just by price alone.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
What are ya'll using for maintenance videos? I had Fred Harmon's video series for my 01 wing. I see there is a Cruiseman's video series now. Which one are y'all using and why?
Do you want mx vids from a guy who is a REAL mechanic, or from some guy who flaps his gums a lot and loves the sound of his own voice?

Get the vids from Fred. Pay one price and have access to ALL his 2018+ GL vids, even new ones that he does later.

Don't know if it matters to you or not, but the gum flapper has been banned from this site for a long time. Just sayin.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts