GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Properly was address on another thread but I will ask anyway. My rims look terrible. Something has taken a liking to them and caused some staining. What short of replacing or powder coating the rims can be done.
I am not the only one that has this problem, someone had to come up with something......

W

·
0 Posts
Before I drove my '03 out of the showroom, one thing that the salesmen told me is clean your rims offen.
Get on your knees at lest once a week and wash with a car wash soap. That brake dust raises hell with alum. rims.
There's a lot of different cleaning produts here that other riders will say they use, but whatever is used, the important part is clean them regularly.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Is their a really easy way to clean them....sure....dont clean them at all that's really easy....just kidding!!!

I clean my front and rear regulary, I spray either brake dust cleaner or the hondabrite stuff on my rims, let it soak for a minute then have at it with a detail brush made to clean wheels. Scrub scrub scrub and then rinse all the dirt away and there ya go, clean as a whistle.

Rear wheel, same thing as above but I lye down on my side with my head turned up towards the rear fender and scrubbing away with that brush I just used on the front rims. Rinse all the dirt away and you're golden.

The front wheel is easy to be polished with mothers aluminum polish AS LONG AS YOU KEEP UP W/THE CLEANING AND POLISHING ON A REGULAR BASIS. If I keep up w/the polishing bit, I can polish the front wheel in less a half hour, it comes out looking as close to chrome as it can be. I get many comments on my front wheel because I do keep up with it. Good Luck, Brian

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
BOM polish and Mothers mini PowerBall makes short work of it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Keeping them decent looking will be a task. Keeping them like new requires more time than I have for such things. Meguires Hot Rims (pump spray, red bottle) will clean most of the brake/road dust off. I then wipe them down with Honda Spray Polish to protect them. Once a year (before bike week) I'll clean them with a paste polish and again Honda Spray. This will keep them from pitting and I think that's the most realistic goal if you ride your bike like I do. Of course there's a number of coatings (chrome, paint, etc.) I considered the investment but lets face it, you can't even see most of the wheel area on the GL.

Scott

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I 'sort of' clean mine when I take them off to put on new tires.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
I have had my Wing almost 2 years and havent cleaned them yet.
Neglect on one thing breeds neglect on other thing's, either ya maintain'em or don't. It's your decision.

·
Registered
596 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
I've got friends with ZRXs that remove the paint and polish their wheels to a high shine. They look great, but I just don't have it in me. I do clean the front wheel on the Wing periodically, and it looks OK. But I'm not going to lie on the floor to shine on that rear wheel. That's just not gonna happen. It gets a good cleaning when I take it off to put a new tire on, and that's it.

We're all different in our values. My vehicles stay mechanically sound and cleaner than most, but I can't hold a candle to some people I know -- and won't be trying.

G

·
0 Posts
tvbveb said:
BLK04WNG said:
Neglect on one thing breeds neglect on other thing's, either ya maintain'em or don't. It's your decision.
I take care of the rest of the bike on a regular basis, but I just
cant see wasting time on the wheels.
IMHO, Honda should put a better quality wheel on the Wing
to begin with, because the stock wheels are junk.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Get them chrome plated and they look great and clean up easy. :roll:

·
Registered
696 Posts
wheels

people who dont clean there bike dont wipe there ????????????????????that ought to start something

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I wipe my wheels after every ride with a paper towel with some spray wax.... then dry them with a clean paper towel.. my rims look like new
it only takes a few minutes ..

cosmic

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
I use a great product..........

It's called...."CJ" ..:lol: Nothing else cleans better !! :wink:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't do the wheels on the van and PU after every ride...why should I on the Wing? I don't get anal about every little nick and scratch either. I bought the wing to ride, not show.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts