GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode all day Saturday had a couple new riders so we were not hittin it to hard across the old back roads...But anyway my low fuel light came on at 265 miles so I finished out the trip home at 284 miles..Fueled Sunday as we were headed out again and it only took 5.6 gallons...I could have broke 300 miles with that tank....Best mileage I ever got...I guess going slow does pay once in a while ..LOL

·
Registered
596 Posts
Rode all day Saturday had a couple new riders so we were not hittin it to hard across the old back roads...But anyway my low fuel light came on at 265 miles so I finished out the trip home at 284 miles..Fueled Sunday as we were headed out again and it only took 5.6 gallons...I could have broke 300 miles with that tank....Best mileage I ever got...I guess going slow does pay once in a while ..LOL
Yep. Fuel mileage is tied directly to the fun handle. I've gotten well up into the 50s a few times when just poking along in high gear smelling the roses.

·
Vendor
18,400 Posts
Using the odometer that came on my 2003, 2004, 2005, and my 2007 I get between 36 and 40 mpg. I weigh 190 and usually ride solo.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I get about 40 smiles per mile!
Gas is cheap!

·
Registered
664 Posts
40 mpg is the norm for me running 70-80 mph. 38 mpg if ripping it hard. Keep in mind that's using the 5% optimistic (approximated) OEM speedometer to gauge the mpg estimates. If I was using an accurate gps, it would be less for sure. Somewhere around 36/38 mpg.
The goldwing is geared way too low IMHO. It's turning half red line at 70 mph for Christ sake! I wish we had a choice of rear end gears. The goldwing has more than enough power to carry a higher numerical final gear ratio, even when riding two up and pulling a trailer. Have you ever heard of a winger complaining about a lack of power when towing? I can't remember ever hearing a single complaint from someone that tows about a lack of pulling power. Is it just me that thinks it's under geared? Jap manufactures have a tendency to under gear their bikes from my experience owning them over the years. The Germans and Italians get it right on thier bikes.
Honda listens to thier owners about as much as our government listens to our citizens. The new 2012 wing is proof of that. Honda needs to concentrate R&D money on fixing the major problems with the wing, like lousy wobbly suspensions, faulty trannys and rear ends and not to mention, the lack of a sixth gear. Not on gimickry new electronics that are pointless or slight styling cues that are barely noticable. I think the 2012 version is a huge disappointment. Why do we have to spend an additional $700.00 to get a real GPS unit to surplate the lousy OEM unit on a $26K bike?
Just me??????????????

Sorry.........Kind of strayed off topic. Ever since I saw the 2012 released, I've been wanting to bitch about it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Totally Right Wrest Related!!!

Normally around here it’s somewhere in the mid to low 30s if I’m traveling, she will do in the mid 40s+... :thumbup:

Bless her little pistons, she loves to play in the twisties and I don’t try and hold her back very often... :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Administrator
3,844 Posts
The goldwing is geared way too low IMHO. It's turning half red line at 70 mph for Christ sake! I wish we had a choice of rear end gears. The goldwing has more than enough power to carry a higher numerical final gear ratio, even when riding two up and pulling a trailer. Have you ever heard of a winger complaining about a lack of power when towing? I can't remember ever hearing a single complaint from someone that tows about a lack of pulling power. Is it just me that thinks it's under geared?

No, it's not just you that thinks the Goldwing needs a 6th gear. I see that fairly often here. However, I strongly disagree. The Goldwing DOES NOT need a 6th gear, as it would do very little to improve the fuel mileage while reducing the driveability of our Wing. I'm working on a series of tests to back up what I say. It'll be a week or so before I'm finished getting all my ducks in a row, but stay tuned.

Glen

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it's not just you that thinks the Goldwing needs a 6th gear. I see that fairly often here. However, I strongly disagree. The Goldwing DOES NOT need a 6th gear, as it would do very little to improve the fuel mileage while reducing the driveability of our Wing. I'm working on a series of tests to back up what I say. It'll be a week or so before I'm finished getting all my ducks in a row, but stay tuned.

Glen
I know a fella that is toying around with the rear gears to reduce rpms...It's the same machinist that designed and builds the lowering link for Goldwings

·
Banned
356 Posts

Glen
If you never cruise faster than 65 mph. I would agree. 6th gear isn't needed. But a lot of places have 75 mph speed limit's, like here. A taller gear would be perfect at higer speed's. And no way will increasing fuel mileage, by decreasing RPM's. In any way, hurt the driveability of a GW. So what if you have to downshift once while two up, pulling the heaviest trailer around, up the steepest grade you can find. It's a non issue. IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts