GL1800Riders Forums banner
141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Woah, this is some seriously good slow precision riding on a 2018 DCT.

Oh, and wheelies too??!?!!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYJbY4uvJiM

I tried to get that good on a Harley Road Glide with feathering the clutch a great deal but never close to this guy. I am still trying to get the routine down on the DCT but have a long way to go. Great to see it can be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find information on what is needed to remove the rear trunk on the tour model. I think there is a "trunk removal kit" option in the accessories but i didn't see any picture or description.
Look for Traxxion Dynamics video on YouTube. He goes through the whole removal process in detail. Sorry, I do not have the link. It has to do with him trying to sell you a trunk on and off kit.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Yea, but don't expect to understand how to do it from Max's videos. His instructional skills leave something to be desired.

You 'll want to look at Fred's video on how to take the trunk apart, then look at Max's and try to put things together on your mind on how would one do it...the proficient step by step clear instructions on Fred's videos is not even close in Max's

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts

Reactions: blast

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
First impressions. On one of the videos or in one of the print comments it was said that Honda interviewed riders and found that many only took weekend trips. That is how the shored up their decision to reduce the fuel and baggage space. They said they wanted to make the bike look smaller to appeal to the younger rider.

I know quite a few Goldwing riders and none of them that I know were approached for an interview. I would guess that the fuel tank weighs about 6 pounds and that the old one weighed about 7 pounds.

I have ridden six cylinder Goldwings 779,512 miles as of my last fill up. The two I have now, 2004 at 240,100 miles and 2010 at 161,116 miles are both very good machines with the 04 getting the best mileage and having the quietest transmission. Neither bike is ever ridden without a trailer hooked on unless deadheading to or from hauling a trailer.

I consider my self the average daily user of a Goldwing. I rarely use a car. I have ridden in all the 48 lower states, most of them several times. Pretty well known in these pages over the years but never approached by Honda. I would think there are well over a million Goldwings on the road in the US, probably approaching 2 million. True enough many of them are ridden less than 5,000 miles a year.

I do not know of a single Goldwing rider that did not want more fuel range. I know many have sweated out reaching the next fuel stop on a long trip. I have come close to running out of gas in Oregon and Colorado because of the distance between fuel stops. To me it is inexcusable to reduce the fuel volume on this already short range bike especially with the poor BTU content of Federally ruined gasoline. My 2004 Wing with Tailwind trailer regularly got 40 to 41 actual miles per gallon when real gasoline was available. The 2010 Wing and Tailwind with the poor gasoline available and the EPA changes to the bike, 34 mpg is more the norm.

On trips I usually ride about 500 to 700 miles per day and have ridden Spring Branch Texas to Los Angeles Marriott in a day which is 1,460 miles. For pleasure riding I stay to the west to avoid dense traffic and semis. It is not unusual for fuel stops to be over 100 miles apart.

I like the new front end a lot. I also think the DCT is the best way to go. I like that they have apparently gotten rid of the short life ADG. However I have no interest in the bike with the reduced fuel and reduced rider weather protection. I don't like the idea of the smaller luggage but since I only ride with a trailer that does not have the impact on me that it does on Bike only riders.

The Classic GL 1800 has tremendous headlights, much better than any cages that I know of. I hope that the new Goldwing has not compromised that area as well.

I have two friends that have ordered 2018 Goldwings so we will see what the story really is.

The 2018 Goldwing is more akin to the Valkyrie or the ST 1300 which have neither one been barn burners sales wise. To my thinking it is a shame that we could not have had he new front end and tranny without giving up so much of what we had. JMHO.
RIP Tom

141 - 160 of 168 Posts