GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking about both best quality and best value.

The features on my Scorpion EXO-900 are great, but the darned thing is very heavy. My El Cheepo Fuel open face is too round and my Fulmer open face has cool ear hole that let sound in at low speeds, but thump on the highway. I have a Shoei oval head.

So, what's good, and what's a good value?

·
Registered
716 Posts

The features on my Scorpion EXO-900 are great, but the darned thing is very heavy. My El Cheepo Fuel open face is too round and my Fulmer open face has cool ear hole that let sound in at low speeds, but thump on the highway. I have a Shoei oval head.

Well, the "value" of a helmet is somewhat a perceived matter, but I can say that I am well pleased with my open face Bell Mag 9 helmet in every way. The price was right at around $200; the fit for me is perfect; it looks good and has the necessary amount of ventilation, and I especially like the pop down sunshade and pull down full face shield when I get caught in the rain. The helmet is very light as well, and has the ability to easily add headsets for CB use. I routinely change my helmets every five years and this just was my latest choice.

Helmet purchase is very much a personal thing, a bit like socks or underwear. You don't want to pay too much for make or perceived quality; however, it's very foolish money to pay too little since it has to protect you in an accident. The helmet must fit you properly, or it will be agony on a long trip...the optimum word is "try before you buy".....

I'm satisfied that for me, this is good value for money spent. Your choice may vary....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had an Arai Classic M that I used for several years and last fall decided it was time to replace it. Tried a
Shoei J-cruise and didn't care for it. Ended up buying a Shoei Platinum R and have been very happy with it and it actually feels as good or better than the Arai.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I had an Arai Classic M that I used for several years and last fall decided it was time to replace it. Tried a
Shoei J-cruise and didn't care for it. Ended up buying a Shoei Platinum R and have been very happy with it and it actually feels as good or better than the Arai.
+1 on the Shoei. Very nice.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I like my N44 Nolan I bought for a good value a few months ago from Motorcyclegear.com. Light weight and comfortable. Love all the features and versatility of helmet. The sound from my JM elite system in the helmet is fantastic. I had always used HJC helmets and still use my IS33 on occasion, but it has become a spare helmet for me. Would not leave home on a trip without my N44. JMO

Fred

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

I have a Shoei full face helmet for cold weather and a Shoei modular. They fit the shape of my head.

I also have an HJC FS-3 open face helmet that comes with a plastic shield that covers my face if I want it in the down position.

HJC is reasonable in prices and quality. Here is a link to 6 of their open face models:

http://www.revzilla.com/open-face-helmets#v2-facets[]=85&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured&tab=all

gramps

·
Registered
20 Posts
+ 1 on the shoei platinum R I've had mine two years now it has to be one of the most comfortable helmets I've ever owned.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm gonna have to jump in and help out the HJC guys. I had an AC-3 years ago and really liked it. Was disappointed when HJC discontinued them. But they have the IS-33 now that has an internal shield and fits and performs just like my AC-3 did. Had it for two years now. Works great, and for less than 150 bucks, its a good bargain...

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I'm gonna have to jump in and help out the HJC guys. I had an AC-3 years ago and really liked it. Was disappointed when HJC discontinued them. But they have the IS-33 now that has an internal shield and fits and performs just like my AC-3 did. Had it for two years now. Works great, and for less than 150 bucks, its a good bargain...
I used to buy Arai, then i bought an HJC and have used them ever since. Great value. I even crash tested one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Went thru the same process and made the same decision. Especially when using headsets.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
the helmet needs to fit YOUR HEAD correctly. and you can only find that out by trying them on. I've had different helmets from the same manufacturer fit differently. the Nolan n102 fits my head perfectly; I would like to get a new helmet, but so far have only found one (out of MANY that I have tried on) that seems to fit "OK". and naturally, it is one of the almost $700 helmets. looks like my new helmet when I get one is going to be expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts