GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Previously posted on the wrong board ...)

Hey folks,
Just bought a 2012 GW with audio and navigation pack. It also has an USB port in the trunk.

If I want to have a set up where I can stream music from my phone and a device / usb key that I attach to the port in the trunk and, that’s the important part, switch the audio from the bike speakers to the audio in my helmet, what should I use? Same for the bike radio, what’s the best way for me to route it to my helmet?

Note that: 1) I got my bike last night so I still need to read the manual... which means that I’m sure that I’m asking dumb questions (upfront apologies for that) and 2) I currently don’t have any audio system for my helmet (e.g. Sean or something similar): buying such system is why I’m also asking this question.

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I do this. I have the bike's radio, the trunk usb stick, the bike's nav, an extra nav (bar mounted), my bluetooth phone and my CB all through the helmet. The bike's normal audio can also come from the bike's speakers.

To do it I use an Autocom intercom. The bike's standard intercom is not used because it has no vox function so wind noise is constantly heard through the headset.

The Autocom uses its own headsets which come with the kit. They are vox controlled and that is adjustable for switching level to suit your bike. It also has volume level setting for both riders and a front to rear fader so if you have different hearing requirements that can be set.

UK bikes do not have built in CB radio so if you use that on your bike you would need to do something to interface the mic part of your system. I use a separate CB mounted in the trunk and the Autocom connects to it.

There is an Autocom interface which will pick up the output from the bike's headset socket under the left pocket, this connects to one of the inputs of the Autocom so provides all of the standard bike sound output - radio, usb music and nav.
The Autocom unit has 3 more direct inputs so I use one for the CB sound, one for my phone's bluetooth adapter and one for the extra nav unit.

I hope this is of use to you.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Not sure why you're asking? The bike does this out of the box. You can plug your phone into the aux port under the front left pocket. Bike came with an aux cable for that purpose, or you can buy one most anyplace. The AUX button on the radio control panel actually has two settings: one push connects you to whatever is connected to the AUX cable, a second push activate whatever you connect to the USB connector in the trunk. I've connected USB thumb drives and an iPod to the trunk connector successfully. It's not obvious from the manual, but you need to remember to use FAT32 format when you format a thumb drive. The bike doesn't recognize NTFS and will give you a "check usb" error message.

I have an adapter that converts the 5-pin headset connector on the bike to 3.5mm and then plug in my ear buds to that. Cheapest way to go, works reasonably well.

Reactions: Luca Bandinelli

·
Registered
482 Posts
so we have recomendations for one of the most expensive routes (the Autocom).... from what I've read it's really nice though... and for pretty an inexpensive but effective route... I throw one that's in the middle (esp if you are a solo rider) Sena Freewire and Sena 20S Evo

Bluetooth to headset from bike to helmet and from phone to helmet (if you like... and that means a pillion rider could listen to their own music... a blessing if your doing big miles with SWMBO on the passenger seat (though this setup can double the price of the solo rider setup)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Sena

so we have recomendations for one of the most expensive routes (the Autocom).... from what I've read it's really nice though... and for pretty an inexpensive but effective route... I throw one that's in the middle (esp if you are a solo rider) Sena Freewire and Sena 20S Evo

Bluetooth to headset from bike to helmet and from phone to helmet (if you like... and that means a pillion rider could listen to their own music... a blessing if your doing big miles with SWMBO on the passenger seat (though this setup can double the price of the solo rider setup)
If you are not using a CB, there is no advantage to the Freewire. Use an SM10 instead. Also the SM10 is cheaper and supports two headsets while the Freewire only supports one.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use the CB.. and I think the other advantage is plug and play wiring..

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Here's a qwik setup for using a 1/8" audio plug for earbuds.

Attachments

Reactions: Luca Bandinelli

·
Registered
291 Posts
You can also use old fashioned wired headsets that plug into the bike and can be switched from bike speaker to headset at will

Some options in no particular order

Edsets
J&M
Honda branded

or just google Goldwing wired headset

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Here's a qwik setup for using a 1/8" audio plug for earbuds.

Nice, but you can buy the adapters already made on Ebay for less than $20 US.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks.. here's what I'm ending up with:
* installing a CB (yes.. I'm old fashion ;). but it's a 2012 model so it's really a plug and play effore
* buy this and wire it to the bike.... the cool thing is that it works even without the Sena module installed: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-30k-20s-evo-helmet-clamp-kit-for-honda-goldwing-cb-audio
* use the same clamp kit with the Sena 20 (which I already have and using with my other bike) to also add Phone features.

Music will then be played by my iPod connected in the trunk.
The thing I didn't know was the ability for the Sena kit to fully integrate with the GW audio system.. it's is now possible and I'm happy camper :).

Thanks all for the advices: super appreciated!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks folks.. here's what I'm ending up with:
* installing a CB (yes.. I'm old fashion ;). but it's a 2012 model so it's really a plug and play effore
* buy this and wire it to the bike.... the cool thing is that it works even without the Sena module installed: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-30k-20s-evo-helmet-clamp-kit-for-honda-goldwing-cb-audio
* use the same clamp kit with the Sena 20 (which I already have and using with my other bike) to also add Phone features.

Music will then be played by my iPod connected in the trunk.
The thing I didn't know was the ability for the Sena kit to fully integrate with the GW audio system.. it's is now possible and I'm happy camper :).

Thanks all for the advices: super appreciated!

Nice... saves ya about $120 over the freewire... but leaves ya wired to bike.. another option to chose the right balance for you...

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I know you have already made your choice but just wanted to add that I use the same setup as JW. Autocom under the seat and interfaced to the Goldwing's audio system.

The interface was a simple plug in unit that I got from Rocketmoto (he was a great source of information when was getting the system setup).

As noted, the Autocom I use and JW. uses is a wired system.

It has a noise sensor that is mounted in the helmet to sense outside ambient noise and do two things. One, it increases the threshold that is required to 'break the squelch" on the helmet microphones and it also changes the audio level so as ambient noise levels increase the audio volume also increases.

While I have not purchased from this company, I did talk with Chainspeed in England about some additional Autocom accessories and they were helpful as well.

The only drawback to my setup is, since I don't have the integrated Nav system and use a Garmin GPS, when I using the bike's audio system (USB connection in trunk or audio input in left had glove box), announcements from the GPS's Nav system do not shutdown the bike's audio so the two overplay one another but it is useable.

I have been using Autocom products since 2006 and have had few issues. Yes it is wired but there there are no concerns about battery life or losing contact setup.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
carolinarider said:
The only drawback to my setup is, since I don't have the integrated Nav system and use a Garmin GPS, when I using the bike's audio system (USB connection in trunk or audio input in left had glove box), announcements from the GPS's Nav system do not shutdown the bike's audio so the two overplay one another but it is useable.
You should be able to overcome this issue. Obviously I don't know your set up of inputs and outputs. Let me know what you've got connected to what and which Autocom unit you have.

However, if you have the older AVi system make sure the GW's output is connected to the Autocom input Aux2 or 3 then feed your GPS output into Aux 4 and you will get a 50% reduction in volume from your GW music when the GPS speaks. If you are not using the Bluetooth phone input of the Autocom, feeding your GPS into that input will give you a 100% cut in the music if that is preferable.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
You should be able to overcome this issue. Obviously I don't know your set up of inputs and outputs. Let me know what you've got connected to what and which Autocom unit you have.

However, if you have the older AVi or the current big SPA system make sure the GW's output is connected to the Autocom input Aux2 or 3 then feed your GPS output into Aux 4 and you will get a 50% reduction in volume from your GW music when the GPS speaks. If you are not using the Bluetooth phone input of the Autocom, feeding your GPS into that input will give you a 100% cut in the music if that is preferable.
Thanks JW.

I will print this out and check. I know the inputs have various "attributes" and, since when I first installed it I rarely used the bikes Aux inputs just the GPS, I did not worry about it. But things have changed. :)

My system on the Wing the Autocom SPA. My 2007 ST1300 has an earlier version which I think was identified as an Super Pro Avi. I had each installed just after purchasing the bikes.

I did use the Autocom bluetooth adapter when I was using a Garmin 6820 GPS on the ST but since I transited to the Zumo series, the phone interfaces to the GPS, but gets used infrequently. Primary I make a phone call when I find a lunch stop and want to see if they are really open.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My system on the Wing the Autocom SPA. My 2007 ST1300 has an earlier version which I think was identified as an Super Pro Avi. I had each installed just after purchasing the bikes.
Okidokey. The Aux inputs I gave above are for the AVi which is on your ST. The SPA uses pretty much the same functions but I can't remember whether the aux input numbers match the AVi numbers. I'll check it out. Having said all this, if you're hearing your GPS instructions clearly over the music, why bother, just stick with it. :wink2:

Edit: On the SPA connect the audio from the GW to aux 4 of the SPA and connect the gps output audio to aux 2 of the SPA. This should cut the GW's music to 50% when speech comes in from your GPS.

An input on aux 3 can also cut the music volume on aux 4.

If you find your unit is connected correctly but not behaving as above, someone has been inside it and played with the switches! You can split the case by removing 2 screws and there are user settable dip switches in there. You'd be best to have the user instructions in your hand if/ when you play with these. Here's a link to the SPA manual. http://autocom.co.uk/pdfdocs/spa manual.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Okidokey. The Aux inputs I gave above are for the AVi which is on your ST. The SPA uses pretty much the same functions but I can't remember whether the aux input numbers match the AVi numbers. I'll check it out. Having said all this, if you're hearing your GPS instructions clearly over the music, why bother, just stick with it. :wink2:

Edit: On the SPA connect the audio from the GW to aux 4 of the SPA and connect the gps output audio to aux 2 of the SPA. This should cut the GW's music to 50% when speech comes in from your GPS.

An input on aux 3 can also cut the music volume on aux 4.

If you find your unit is connected correctly but not behaving as above, someone has been inside it and played with the switches! You can split the case by removing 2 screws and there are user settable dip switches in there. You'd be best to have the user instructions in your hand if/ when you play with these. Here's a link to the SPA manual. http://autocom.co.uk/pdfdocs/spa manual.pdf
Thanks. I have been inside the case on the AVI to change a couple of settings. I think it was to allow me to interface the J&M CB with the AutoCom and change the levels of audio but I forget. I had to build a special circuit to allow me to easily connect the J&M CB to the Autocom but I had to have some repairs done by a local Honda shop and after that I have some "hissing" noise when the CB is on. Since I do not use the CB that much any more on the ST, its just a thing I can live with.

Thanks again. I have marked up the printout i made of the earlier message and when I take the seat off again I will see what I can make happen.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts