GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have had great luck with batteries on my previous Goldwing, but on my 2008 Premium Audio this battery only lasted 2 and half years. I have ridden less this Fall due to a minor surgery on my leg. Question is, what is a good battery, some say Yuasa GYZ 20 HL but it shows that wont fit my 2008 . What model is right one, or is something better and still under $150.00 or so? Thanks to all here, I have enjoyed the information shared on this site for many years. Randy

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Stick with Yuasa. Typically they are lasting longer than you are quoting, but if the bike is unused and not on a battery maintainer the parasitic drain will cause early death of any battery.

You can often source them through and auto parts suppliers as well as the Honda dealers. Check Yuasa's website, IIRC they now have more than one that will work in the wings.

They include clear and easy instructions for filling and the initial slow change that will result in best battery performance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
+1 on the Yuasa

I find that riding mostly daily my batteries serve we well some for a very long time, my fair weather counterparts seem to get a competitively short life out of their batteries.

no science or looking into just my experience :)

Out of interest how much less riding have you done due to the minor surgery?

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Yuasa are good batteries. As stated above you do have to have a Battery Tender to keep the battery at full charge when not riding it. Battery tenders have a 10 year warranty and the connections to a battery are easy and straight forward. Even with a battery tender you will need to check the water level if not buying a maint free battery.

maint free is the way to go. Fill it once with acid, seal it and then maintain it. It will start every time.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the information so far. I have had good luck with Yuasa, so will probably stick with it, but the Yuasa that didnt seem to last as long this time, came with acid separate, I did fill and charge accordingly. I can go with that model again, but was curious about the newer version, that is sealed, GYZ 20 HL , but doesnt look like it fits 2008 Wing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all and Farmguy, I went to that link and appreciate. It seems the batteries for 01-08 are different than what comes in 09-12 model Goldwings. I am not sure if it is size or location of terminal post? The newer version, GYZ 20 L does have more cranking amps, etc. and is AGM I think. Still figuring which one to order, some on web, say Sams sells Interstate that are actually Yuasa, same battery? Any battery will probably work in Goldwing, just trying to figure out best for my budget and fitment on my 2008 model. Thanks again, Randy

·
Registered
496 Posts
A conversation about batteries is a bit like the tire and oil conversations, most opinions are based on the ones they currently have installed. Most batteries are constructed the same with the exception of plate size. Plate size is what give the battery it's amperage capacity, most batteries are rated in two areas, CCA (cold cranking amps) and Ah (amp hours). The higher both of these numbers the better the battery, and you can find inexpensive batteries with good numbers in both areas. Expensive doesn't mean better, you can find batteries with 150CCA and 12Ah costing 150.00, and you can find batteries with 310CCA and 19Ah costing below a 100.00.
It all depends on choice, and that's your choice. One of the best batteries on the market today are the Lithium-Iron batteries, very good CCA and Ah, and very light weight with a good warranty, however, the cost is expensive around 230.00.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I can go with that model again, but was curious about the newer version, that is sealed, GYZ 20 HL , but doesnt look like it fits 2008 Wing.
I'm not sure where you got that information, but I put one in an '04 and it worked just fine. It' my understanding that they fit any model Wing. Just order by year and it will show the correct one (L, HL, HLS, etc.)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had a battery failure from buying a new GPS. I had it installed on a non keyed circuit. The old GPS when turned off was off. I found the new one was not and would keep going out to the battery to charge it's internal battery over and over. I bought a new one from NAPA it was an AGM worked great.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Thanks all and Farmguy, I went to that link and appreciate. It seems the batteries for 01-08 are different than what comes in 09-12 model Goldwings. I am not sure if it is size or location of terminal post? The newer version, GYZ 20 L does have more cranking amps, etc. and is AGM I think. Still figuring which one to order, some on web, say Sams sells Interstate that are actually Yuasa, same battery? Any battery will probably work in Goldwing, just trying to figure out best for my budget and fitment on my 2008 model. Thanks again, Randy
When I used the link, set for motorcycle, 2008, Honda, gl1800, it suggested both versions. In any case the dimensions are the same for both batteries and as others have posted, for all model years. I'm sure the last battery I bought was the new version (it's in the '03).

Check with the autoparts places as well, one is likely to stock the Yuasa at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyones help and information, I ordered GYZ 20 L and is on it way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts