GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many different phone holders, and my experience with all the favorites have been less than stellar. This one WORKS!

Here’s a video...

The parts list to put one together are in the video...

If you’re interested in more detail on the reservoir cap ball mounts,

here’s another just to tackle that

Hope it works...

:thumbup:

Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Works great! I'm throwing the X-mount over the wall. Thanks, Steve.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
153 Posts
Cannot see video. Receive default msg,”Owner stopped sharing” or you don’t have permission to view”. I am logged in. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bud

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
"Shared photos not available".

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Shared photos not available

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll repost them tomorrow... sorry, didn’t know apple had an expiration. They’ll be from my Dropbox next time.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Let’s try this again... the phone mount:

And this one for the Ram ball mount

Hope these work... I’ve gotta get a better way to store and link to these!

Reactions: OnGoldenWings

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have poor internet in my area, but the download for video said it would take 1 hour. Really would like to see it but not that bad.Any other way?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Could you post pics that don't need downloaded? Just opened.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Search for the Ulanzi st02 (as Charleetho identified) which can be purchased for under $12 if you buy from China. (Just takes a couple weeks more for delivery.) Youll need to go to your local hardware store and pick up a 3/4” 1/4-20 set screw that will thread into the Ulanzi and the 1/4-20 threaded Ram ball, part# RAM-B-337U. Put it all together with the Ram mount of your choice (mine is another RAM-B-337U threaded onto a 1/4 -1/2” overhead door knurled track bolt (stop by your local Overhead door dealer and they’ll give you a few) inserted up through a 1/4” hole drilled in the middle of my front brake or clutch master cylinder cover) and finish it up with a short RAM B-201U-A and you’re in business....

Sorry about the bulky videos... I’ve got my son working on making them more accessable...

Hope you enjoy the mount as much as I have... it really is the best ever! (IMHO!)

Reactions: charleetho

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, what he said. Or just post a link to the manufacturer.

I have had my phone fall out of an x-mount. :surprise::frown2:
A rear-view mirror is not a good way to view your phone(as it bounces and slides behind you!). X-mount was not a good choice for me either! Thanks for the help in pulling together pic of the pieces... hope this one works as well for you as it has for me and my friends!

Ride safe!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks revrunt for posting this. Just ordered mine. Should be here before riding season starts. I currently have the x mount and have never had my phone fall out, however, the x mount always seems flimsy to me and the phone will often rotate off level while riding. Another problem I find with the x mount is it’s so easy for one of the arms to press one of the phones buttons when it’s mounted. Always happy to find something that works better. Luckily I have the needed Ram ball laying around. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks revrunt for posting this. Just ordered mine. Should be here before riding season starts. I currently have the x mount and have never had my phone fall out, however, the x mount always seems flimsy to me and the phone will often rotate off level while riding. Another problem I find with the x mount is it’s so easy for one of the arms to press one of the phones buttons when it’s mounted. Always happy to find something that works better. Luckily I have the needed Ram ball laying around. Thanks again!
Let us know how you like it...

The only complaint I’ve heard is one guy rode the bike without his large phone in the holder and because it was so close to being opened to the max the bolt backed out and he had to stop and collect the parts. If the phone is not in the holder, it should be snugged shut...( mines always in, so never a problem)

Hope you like it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Finally had a chance to try it out. SO much better than that goofy Ram X-Mount. But, yes, I need to get some Loctite for the ball threads... :surprise:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump since an outdated post has been resurrected... this one is MUCH better than the other one!

Reactions: Arizona16

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Thanks for the write-up and update. I have a cheap phone mount that works, but bounces everywhere and won't stay straight. Drives me nuts! I just ordered the parts to put your setup together, so by next week I should be set. The nice thing about what you've put together is it offers options for mounting locations. I don't care for having a lot of stuff hanging off the handle bars, but by adding the Ram adhesive ball to the backside of my Madstad windshield base, I can place this mount along the dash. This mirrors my Sat radios location and keeps everything organized. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 45 Posts