GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would be the optimal place to mount a spare.
1. the toungue
2. the tongue close to the trailer (closer to the axle).
3. underneath the body of the trailer.
4. on the side at or near the axle
5. rear of the trailer.

It would seem to me that the closer to the axle the less the tougue weight.

What about it???

·
Registered
416 Posts
I carry mine inside the trailer.

I thought of all those places and each time I picture myself in the pouring rain with a flat and I have to lay under the trailer, which is now 4 inches shorter because of a flat, in the flowing water fighting with a grungy dirty spare attempting to loosen mount bolts that have been holding the spare in place for three years. :shock: :evil: :!:

So that is why...I carry mine inside the trailer.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mine is under the trailer at the back. On my old trailer it was under the tongue but that adds to the tongue weight and meant I needed to have less in my cooler.

Idea for ME would be on the back of the trailer so it isn't adding weight to the tongue and it's easy to access when you need it.

I had to use my spare last summer and it worked out OK with it under the trailer since I was in a parking lot and it was dry out. If I was on a dirt shoulder on a rainy day it would have been a MUCH different story.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My 94 Escapade as a recess for the spare tire as well.....nice clean tire when needed, no interior space used.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
My Kompact Kamp Excell was tongue heavy so I bolted it under the floor in the rear. I used bolts the same as the lug nuts so one wrench would suffice.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
My '02 Escapade trailer has a compartment inside for the spare tire that is flush with the floor, as Cosmic said. When I had a 1989 Escapade trailer, such luxuries did not exist. The trailer's capacity was 17 cubic feet and consequently the spare took up some of the space that I needed for the kitchen sink.

What I came up with was to drill 2 holes through the trailer's main frame in line with the axle and mounted the spare tire under it with 2 stainless steel threaded rods, which were the same size as the lug nuts and secured it with 4 lug nuts, 2 on each rod. I made sure to mounted it so the tire's valve was pointed downward. Duh!

I never had to use it since I never had a flat on the trailer in all the smiles I traveled. Someone here mentioned that it would be a hassle getting to it on the side of the road in a rainy condition if the spare was mounted under the trailer. Well, if it had a flat and it was raining, I'd be wearing my rain gear anyway, so laying on the wet roadway wouldn't be a hassle to me. Just the extra storage space that I gained from this installation was well worth the hassle had I had to use the spare. And the weight of the spare, because of where it was, did not affect the tongue weight at all.

I now think of the hassle that I'd have to put up with by getting my bags wet for taking them out of the trailer to access the spare in the rain. Hmm!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts