GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode about 150 miles today on familiar two lanes. Very light traffic and 57 degrees. A perfect temperature as far as I was concerned but the roads in Florida can tend to be a little boring...

Which got me to thinking where would the ideal place to live/ride be?

Let's forget about working for the time being. Just assume you could live anywhere you wanted where climate and geography are perfect for motorcycles.

The first place that pops to my mind is southern California, but I'm sure there are plenty of others...

What do you think???

Stay safe,

Lance

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just got back from Kauai, and rented a 2007 Silver (the best color) . I don't know how long it would take to get bored riding in paradise, but I would like to give it a try. The road to Waimea canyon is the twistyest road I have ever riden.

G

·
To many choices and such little time.

My #1 pick would be anywhere here in the Great Lakes states, spring summer and fall, and maybe Colorado.

My#2 pick..... winter riding would be anywhere in the southern states for a couple months waiting to go back to the Great Lakes and ride.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
#1 - Where ever makes you happy or, more to the point, where ever makes MAMA happy (insert old saying about mama being happy).

#2 - Where ever makes you smile when you ride.

Paradise would be when the answer to question 1 and the answer to question 2 are in close proximity! ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CaptKirk,

I agree. I was stationed in Hawaii for three years. Had a Yamaha triple and a sailboat...

They had to blast me out of there... :D

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
ARKANSAS!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Lance, before you make your move. "Hold the vans" Make a trip
to the hill country of Texas. Start around Kerrville and you can go
North, South, East, or West, it's all great. Unlike some other states
the miles are much more plentiful. This may take a few years but it's
at the top of the list.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Ex-Hunk,

Austin is definitely on the list!!

Lance

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Pacific NW...

1) Ocean
2) Mountains (real)
3) high desert
4) It's GREEN!!!

All of this is within a two hour ride time.

No, it doesn't rain all the time either.

BTW: Oregon has no sales tax. Whohoo!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Best place to ride is Colorado. Best place to live is with CJS. (free coronas)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lance, you lucky dog, 3 years. I was ther 10 days, been home 2, and I am already trying to figure out how to get back. Kirk

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Don't even think about Colorado -- it is just an awful place to live and ride. You remember those photos that I posted in both September and October showing all that snow.

PS. It was around 70 along the Front Range today (even low 60s at my place) and I got in about 150 miles of awesome riding. Taking out the FJR tomorrow.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wingnutzz,

Your facetious side is showing... :oops:

Lance

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
If I had all the money in the world and could live anywhere I wanted, it would be in northern California. Some of the best roads in the world are there, and you can ride year round if you are near enough to the coast.

My second choice would probably be the hill country in Texas.

Colorado and Idaho and Montana and many of the northern states would be nice, but you can't ride after late October till March. Ideally you would want to be somewhere you can ride year round. Which is why Calif would be my first choice. But in reality, it is just too expensive to live there.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Scootermannn is close:

Best place is southern British Columbia:

- great roads, very few straight and boring
- mild climate - never too hot to ride like the southern states, you can ride all year
- minimal if any snowfall
- don't need to carry a gun (it is illegal)
- great health care
- four seasons, wonderful sights all year
- close to the US if you get homesick
- the US dollar goes far
- friendly people
- we have mountains, rivers, oceans, valleys

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fred,

I agree, It would take most of the money in the world anyway!

I lived in Sacramento for a while (a long time ago). Beautiful roads and scenery.

I could no longer afford to live there, however...

Heck, I don't even think I could afford to register my bike there...

Lance

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Kentucky because it borders Arkansas and Tennessee. Ant Tennessee borders North Georgia and North Alabama and North Carolina. Hmmmmmmm seems not to be a stopping point.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Riding in Colorado at this time of year is just awe-full. Crisp mountain air at about 60 to 70 degrees, a cobalt blue sky unlike anything you'll ever see anywhere else, and the most breath taking scenery wrapped around some of the most twisted roads in this God blessed America.
And then I had to go and spoil it all when I got a ticket for the first time in XXXXX years today (74 in a 55) boy that wing sure does fly!!!
I don't know about what Fred said, but if the sun is out and the snow is off the roads, it's motorcycle time :D

Warning: high altitude, low oxygen levels, low humidity, more days of sunshine than the sunshine state, and dangerous curvy roads :shock:

·
Registered
142 Posts
EX-HUNK said:
Lance, before you make your move. "Hold the vans" Make a trip
to the hill country of Texas. Start around Kerrville and you can go
North, South, East, or West, it's all great. Unlike some other states
the miles are much more plentiful. This may take a few years but it's
at the top of the list.
Absolutely, the Texas Hill Country is awesome. In the area around Leakey, TX, ride the "Three Twisted Sisters, ie Farm to Market 335, 336 and 337. .

1 - 20 of 76 Posts