GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked on the windshield, dropped front cowl (with Honda logo) on the asphalt driveway and scratched it on few places. Before doing anything else, I would like to try and buff it out if possible...or as much as possible.

What's the best polish for plastic painted parts?... Cowl is off of 2013 model, titanium color (if that matters at all)...

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
If it’s painted, just try some liquid wax first, then if needed (more aggressive, rubbing compound). Just be careful with the rubbing compound as there isn’t a lot of paint on our plastic painted parts.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any product names? Some that can be found at Advance Auto or similar...?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I’ve got turtle wax liquid, Meguiar’s products including a liquid rubbing compound and I also have Mother’s scratch remover. Almost wrote scratch and dent remover-wouldn’t that be something.

image.jpg

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would recommend using a good polishing compound first if you only have light scratches. It will remove less paint because it is less abrasive than rubbing compound. If the scratches are deep then use rubbing compound. Be sure to wax the surface after using either compound because both will strip the wax off whatever you are working on.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Any product names? Some that can be found at Advance Auto or similar...?

Tisunac,
3M is the largest supplier of automotive cleaning and polishing supplies. Meguiars runs a close second. Mothers is in there too. But, in your local auto parts store are shelves and shelves of all these products. Most auto parts stores won't carry the 3M products for this 'cause, they're normally sold at specialty stores and supply outlets for detailers.
Now, as for your plastic, Well Sir, don't expect anything more than a bee strike or bird droppings to simply "buff out". Ain't gonna happen. Plastic is PLASTIC! When scratched, it's DEEP. Plastic is weaker than paint. What would potentially scratch paint, most likely would actually damage plastic. And damage cannot be undone. Paint, in many cases, if it's deep enough, can be buffed out and blended in. But, damaged plastic goes deeper than paint.

Oh, yes, you can work at it and you can make damage and deeper scratches look a bit better but, you'll never get rid of them. Take for instance, the rear fender on my 2007 Yamaha TW200 I just purchased. It was layed down on the right side and damaged the plastic (and a few other things). There is no way on this planet that those are gonna disappear, with ANY amount of work and or product. NEW PLASTIC is the order of the day here. Good luck.

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tisunac,

3M is the largest supplier of automotive cleaning and polishing supplies. Meguiars runs a close second. Mothers is in there too. But, in your local auto parts store are shelves and shelves of all these products. Most auto parts stores won't carry the 3M products for this 'cause, they're normally sold at specialty stores and supply outlets for detailers.

Now, as for your plastic, Well Sir, don't expect anything more than a bee strike or bird droppings to simply "buff out". Ain't gonna happen. Plastic is PLASTIC! When scratched, it's DEEP. Plastic is weaker than paint. What would potentially scratch paint, most likely would actually damage plastic. And damage cannot be undone. Paint, in many cases, if it's deep enough, can be buffed out and blended in. But, damaged plastic goes deeper than paint.

Oh, yes, you can work at it and you can make damage and deeper scratches look a bit better but, you'll never get rid of them. Take for instance, the rear fender on my 2007 Yamaha TW200 I just purchased. It was layed down on the right side and damaged the plastic (and a few other things). There is no way on this planet that those are gonna disappear, with ANY amount of work and or product. NEW PLASTIC is the order of the day here. Good luck.

Scott
Yes sir, that is very true. I was not happy to see that my stupidity and a luck of focus caused those scratches....though I'm very happy the cowl didn't break. It happened yesterday so I just left it in the shed.... I'm working all day today so I'll address that tomorrow.

Planning on trying to polish as much as I could and see how it will turn out. That's why I'm asking for a suggestion for a product. Not expecting a miracle...but want to see can I live with it (after polishing) or will I have to look for another part...

Thanks!...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Scratch

Just had my '06 tip over in parking lot, and scratched / scuffed (not too deep) the side mirror. Guy at O'Reilly suggested Nu Finish Scratch Doctor. Would say that it got 95% of the visible marks off....Just read the label and followed directions. YMMV

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
JNu Finish Scratch Doctor.
If that's the one that comes in an orange container, that's always my first choice too.

Use one that is non-abrasive. Also, remember that from 2012-17, unless they had metallic paint, they had no clear coat.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Tisunac,

Scott

That dirt-bike plastic is not painted. Big difference.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Sorry to say The biggest problem is the year of your bike 2013 , very many complaints about paint scratching way to easily since 2012 when they moved production to Japan. The earlier years have much tougher clearcoat.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That dirt-bike plastic is not painted. Big difference.
Plastic is plastic. If it's scratched deeper than any form of clear coat and paint, there's no help. Yes, I know the difference between the tupperware on a Wing vs standard plastics on various dual sport bikes. And again, if the scratch is on paint or clear, there's a slight possibility of cleaning things up or, "polishing it out".
Scott

Reactions: 05nwl and cycledude

·
Registered
390 Posts
one other thought

When I was young, we used to have small bottles of paint (about the size of fingernail polish) with the paint code for the vehicle in question.
We would put a small application of the paint on the affected area

Let it dry to the touch, then polish over the whole area, blending it in.
Wasn't perfect, but did allow a chance to 'buff out' some minor damage.

with all the clear coats and multi pass finishes now, don't know if it would be effective on vehicles, but should work on the wing
best of luck
byon

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to Advance Auto and bought a Nu Finish Scratch Doctor, per above mentioned suggestion.
It worked pretty well... Patiently applying a layer of it (it's more liquid based, not thick but kinda runny), than rubbing it in, changing directions of movement. Than applying another coat, and another,...

It "camouflaged" most of the lighter scratches and somewhat helped on the deeper ones. Surely it didn't magically remove them all but the fairing looks ten times better, good enough to be used on the bike. Perfect - no. But definitely usable.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions, as always.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts