GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I loved Hwy 550 as T&T said hwy 12 in UT. was also a sweet ride :thumbup:
Hunzee if your trip puts you in AZ. check out Hwy 191 it rocks like Hwy 550!!

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Million Dollar Highway.
Colorado. US 550. Ouray south to Silverton.
Period. End of discussion. Final. No point in responding.
yes, but..
..... ahhhhh.... never mind,

you're right :thumbup:

Dennis

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I have ridden on both 550 and 12 and while they are both spectacular in their own right, my all-time favorite road is Stevens Canyon Rd between WA123 and Longmire. It goes right through Mt. Rainier National Park and puts you up close and personal with the mountain in some of the most gorgeous scenery you'll ever see. Oh, and the twisties are great too!

·
Registered
589 Posts
How about Hwy 128 north from Moab, UT that follows the Colorado River Canyon. Plenty of twistys and great red-stone bluffs.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Darn, Jim, rub it in with a little salt, please. My bride and I rode it a few years back and it is spectacular.

Glad you're having such a great trip.

In my old age, my favorite road is: Smooth, twisty and without traffic or law enforcement. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
There are different ways that we judge the roads we like as the "best". I think that any roads in the Rockies, both American and Canadian are "best" if you're looking for spectacular scenery. Magnificent overlooks with amazing views.

As a motorcyclist, I tend to strive to ride the croockedest (gee, is that really a word?) roads that I could find. To me, those roads are "The Best" one can find. The joy of being able to use all of the tire's tread that came with the tires that you bought, while discovering the lean angle limits of your machine by pressing even more on the inside grip of your handlebars and keep that line around that tight curve. That is extremely satisfying to me! And to experience this with curves that are in very close proximity to one another is exhilarating.

So, based on that, I must say that any road along the Appalachian Mountains are the best.

Now, if you'd ask me, I would be hard pressed to just pick one out of the myriad of spectacularly, twisty roads in that region, but I would like to give you a hint: West Virginia!

As the Bobster would say: Lean safely!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
There are different ways that we judge the roads we like as the "best". I think that any roads in the Rockies, both American and Canadian are "best" if you're looking for spectacular scenery. Magnificent overlooks with amazing views.

As a motorcyclist, I tend to strive to ride the croockedest (gee, is that really a word?) roads that I could find. To me, those roads are "The Best" one can find. The joy of being able to use all of the tire's tread that came with the tires that you bought, while discovering the lean angle limits of your machine by pressing even more on the inside grip of your handlebars and keep that line around that tight curve. That is extremely satisfying to me!

So, based on that, I must say that any road along the Appalachian Mountains are the best.

Now, if you'd ask me, I would be hard pressed to just pick one out of the myriad of spectacularly, twisty roads in that region, but I would like to give you a hint: West Virginia!
You and I judge the good roads the same. The guy I ride with all the time and I are always looking for those roads. Sadly, we live in one of the worst places in the world for good roads (outside of Florida, of course) - but we go looking for them. Once a year we go to the Rockies or Smokys. I know people get tired of hearing it, but the Dragon is still number one as far as a single stretch of continuous curves.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The best rd is Hwy196 to Jabez KY. twisty,little hilly, and great view and on my way home. BY the way home is where my heart is. I would like to ride that rode next time out that way.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The very best road is the one Becky and I happen to be on at the time. Never been on a bad road if she's with me. :nojoke: Charley

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Colorado 149, Utah 12, Blue Ridge PKY, CO 550, and 92, California 33 and 2 . In that order.:thumbup::cool::cool:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You and I judge the good roads the same. The guy I ride with all the time and I are always looking for those roads. Sadly, we live in one of the worst places in the world for good roads (outside of Florida, of course) - but we go looking for them. Once a year we go to the Rockies or Smokys. I know people get tired of hearing it, but the Dragon is still number one as far as a single stretch of continuous curves.
Oh my. :shock: You need to give me a shout next time you're in the smokies.

I can show you several roads (most even longer) that will move the Dragon's Tail down on your list. Bring your friend. :thumbup:

·
Trained Killer Member
1,534 Posts

As the Bobster would say: Lean safely!
Boy, those WV roads are hard to beat. The Bobster and I had so much fun one weekend out there in WV, we made a SECOND TRIP and still can't believe how nice those roads are! Awesome riding up that way! :thumbup:

I can show you several roads (most even longer) that will move the Dragon's Tail down on your list. Bring your friend. :thumbup:
And I gotsta say, Paulster ain't lyin' either! He showed us some AMAZING roads up there in the Northern Georgia/Southern Tennessee mountains (Smokies) that DEFINITELY beat The Dragon IMHO! Do yourself a favor and let Trialsman show ya what he's talkin' about! :bow:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The very best road is the one Becky and I happen to be on at the time. Never been on a bad road if she's with me. :nojoke: Charley
I would change that to "Never been on a bad road while on a motorcycle". :)

Why hasn't someone mentioned I-10, it's one that has it all....a coast to coast road that has a couple of turns and a mountain pass , goes by some of the best BBQ and Cajon joints in the world, and through my glorious desert, the swamps of Louisiana and the pine forests of the Southeast. It can't be beat :).

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

I found this road by Chasing Sunsets.

It is by Definition, the #1 Highway!

No, not my pic.

·
15 year Member
6,932 Posts
Best road?

The one I am on at the time.. Being healthy and able make it all the better....

Matt(BCNV):doorag:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts

I'm sure we have been on some of them, but you know I'd love to ride with you sometime. 2012 we go back to the Rockies though and we are going to take an extra day and spend a little time in Utah as well this time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts