GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I will be in Arizona next weekend (Oct 28th) for a wedding. The event will be in Scottsdale.

Any ideas on Central and Southern routes from you AZ riders? Previously I have taken routes North out of Flagstaff to hit the North and South Rim and then came back via Monument Valley out of Utah.

Are there must roads to ride? I saw something about Tortilla Flat and 191 while surfing. How far East can you go on 88? What are the best start and stop points on 191? Any pearls of wisdom? Will the weather hold and are these roads ok this time of year?

I may try to shoot up to Summerhaven on Mt Lemmon to make an Eastern loop from Scottsdale. A non rider friend on Mt Lemmon reported snow last weekend (did not last though). I am a little concerned about the altitude of some of the passes. Bought an electric vest but do not have the room to carry CHAINS.

Don't want to slab much as I just drove across the Country in a minivan - ugh!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Tortilla flats is a good place to ride out to for lunch or dinner. Not a particularly long ride and is one way in and out. Depends on what you are looking for and for how long. Obviously going over to 191 on the east side of the state is a great ride. A long one for one day however. If you wan't a half day ride with a little twistie to it then out US 60 to Superior, then 177 south to Winkleman then 77 back north to Globe and 60 back to phoenix. About a half day ride with a meal thrown in. You could also stay on 60 all the way to Show Low through the Salt River canyon. Have a meal in Show Low or Pinetop then hit 260 over the rim down to Payson and then 87 to Phoenix. Those are a couple of rides going east that are easily doable in a day or less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts