GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was about to join the GWRRA for the roadside assitance and then remembered I am still a member of HRC but without roadside assistance.

Anyone have an experiences with the roadside service offered by both?

Who has more locations to serve you etc? I understand the GWRRA uses TowBusters with 45K stations in the US and Canada but information is sketchy at best on the HRC site.

Anyone tried using both??

Does HRC have an 800 number to call or do you have to organize your own service then be reimbursed by them? Kinda dumb if they do.

Thanks.

FTW

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
HRCA has to be the best since Towbusters has so many limitations. I think Towbusters might haul you 50 miles. HRCA is to the nearest dealer!

If your looking for the towing package, HRCA can't be beat! You have to remember HRCA has trip interuption reimbursement also. GWRRA has zero.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red said:
HRCA has to be the best since Towbusters has so many limitations. I think Towbusters might haul you 50 miles. HRCA is to the nearest dealer!
Thanks Red, but what happens if the dealer isn't open? I imagine towbusters operate 24-7. I know our local dealer is closed Sundays which is 50% of the time I am likely to be riding. <g>

The other benefits with HRC sound good though. Anywhere I can read the conditions? I checked the HRC site but can't seem to find any real info there.

FTW

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I belong to both...

...so will have both options if needed. Would probably call HRCA first as it will be going to the Honda dealer. As the dealer being closed, the towing company will take you to the nearest Honda dealer or somewhere else that is not farther away I believe. If you're going to the dealer, doesn't make any difference which company you have, the dealer will still be closed on Sunday. So, don't really see the issue there. The towing company is not the dealer, so the towing 24/7 with both GWRRA and HRCA.

To read more on the benefits of HRCA, click the following link:

http://powersports.honda.com/the_ride/hrca/index.asp?bhcp=1

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had a mishap at about 7pm on a Saturday night in August a few years ago. Before they put me in the ambulance, I handed the officer at the scene my Honda Riders Club card and told him that they would come get my bike. I was in the hospital three days, when I got home I called my dealer (I was within 25 miles of the dealership when this happened.) thinking he would have the bike, he didn't. HRCA would not come get the bike on a weekend. I had to pay a local towing firm $80 towing and $40 storage, talk about adding insult to injury! This happened in '01, maybe HRCA is better now, but I have towing on my motorcycle insurance just in case.

·
Registered
221 Posts
HRCA will tow you to the nearest dealer and also pay up to $500 for expenses such as a rental car and motel while your bike is disabled. Towbusters only pays for a limited distance tow.

:yw1:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I had my first oportunity to put a wing on a flatbed last year.

In the middle of the Arizona Desert close to the end of the oxygen pipe, I stuck a bolt thru a rear tire of the wing. Decided to find out how that HRCA towing was. First, I was so far out I did not even think we had cell service, but we did. Scratchy, but usable. Called their 800 number. Got a guy that asked the right questions, was very clear, kept me on hold for about a minute two times, came right back and said a FLATBED vehicle retreaver would be at my location in about an hour (I was 70miles out), he would pick up me and the bike, take us to Page AZ Honda, as they were the nearest Honda dealer that had a front tire for an 1800, and they would be waiting for me. After waiting an hour for the truck to arrive, we loaded the bike, went to Page Honda, they unloaded the bike, put on a tire, and had me out the door and on the road in just over three hours from my initial phone call. Only bill was for the new tire, and that was discounted. But not as steeply discounted as HDL, however.

With service like that, no way am I going to change. I also carry towing on my State Farm bike policy, and have AAA. But, I liked the service I got from HRCA, and so I am a fan. They get my vote.

S

·
0 Posts
Will share my positive experience with HRCA. I recommend all to join...

When the wife and I hit the rock on the rock back in July on a weekend HRCA paid for the whole ball of wax which topped well over $600. They even sent two vehicles to pick up our bike AND cargo trailer. Total miles? Over 300 from the point or origin to the site of the bike and trailer and back down the same road past their place or origin plus 70 more miles to the nearest DEALER.

What can one say? HRC DOES work weekends! :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I used the Towbusters once, north or Ogden UT. Was 0730 Sunday morning (because we ALWAYS break down on Sunday!!), rear tire went flat.

Called Towbusters, they towed me back into Ogden. Had to pay some extra, because Towbusters only pays for 35 miles of towing.

Response time was fast, truck was there in 1/2 hour or so.

But if you were far away from somewhere, 35 miles ain't enough to get you close to anything.

Might look into HRCA... heard AAA has pretty good coverage too.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
HRCA coverage is much better but I hope you never need to use it. HRCA will reinburse up to $75 for taking a riding course. Get free maps from HRCA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have HRCA, GWRRA and Camping World Roadside

With all this coverage I could go across the US of A. I Like camping World roadsida and HRCA both are good.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I hope that I never have to use any of them, But I have the Honda Goldwing Road Rash Association, HRCA and Progressive.

I can't explain why, but I don't have a lot of confidence in any of them.

Bulldog

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have been so lucky not to need a towing service over the years. but of course that will change some dark night.

i did a lot of reading and question asking, and am stucking with hrc. they do send you a large booklet with a lot of this and that.

as a safety net i also pay the extra $ 6 per year on my bike insurance to cover towing.

good piece of mind, along with the cell phone and the gps to know where to tell them you are.

loren

·
Registered
441 Posts
IR Harry said:
I had my first oportunity to put a wing on a flatbed last year.
What day of the week was that? I'm curious what happens when the dealer is closed as well.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Both use different organizations for their towing services, there are holes in both, for that reason it's nice to have GWRRA as a back up to HRCA.

To explain, both subcontract their towing services, but to different organizations, there are holes in the coverage of both organizations, there are a few places where HRCA can't find you a tow, hopefully GWRRA's service might be able to fill that hole and get you out of a situation. There are a few places where GWRRA's service won't work, but HRCA will, and there are a few places where neither one will work, hopefully not too many of those!

·
Registered
837 Posts
FlyTheWing said:
Red said:
Thanks Red, but what happens if the dealer isn't open? I imagine towbusters operate 24-7. I know our local dealer is closed Sundays which is 50% of the time I am likely to be riding. <g>
I can't find it in writing right now, but I'm most possitive that HRCA's # is 24-7, and I'm sure that if they can't find anything open on Sunday, or any other time, neither can Towbusters.

I can't say for sure. That's just my way of thinking on it. I wonder if any of them have or pay for "after hours callout service" :?:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Both are 24/7 tow services. They both contract out the towing.
HRC says they will take you to the neaest Honda dealer that
can do the repairs. That means the nearest motorcycle dealer
not a car sales place. If no one is open, i.e. middle of the night
on a Sunday, what would you expect? I would think your going
to be there until Monday, or in some places, Tuesday. After all,
it is TOWING insurance, not repair insurance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IR Harry said:
Both are 24/7 tow services. HRC says they will take you to the nearest Honda dealer that can do the repairs.
I called HRC and they said if the dealer was closed, they would tow to a "place of safety such as a motel, then when the dealer opened, they would tow it again to the dealer for the repairs."

Sounded good enough for me so I signed up for HRC on the spot.

I also have "towing" on my bike insurance for $7 a year ($50 max per call) which I will cancel as who the hell do I call if I break down? Maybe the insurance company thinks I carry the National phone books in the saddlebags. DOH! They do NOT have an 800 number to call for roadside assistance.

Anyway, thanks to all who responded.

FTW

G

·
0 Posts
MY Progrssive ins has 24 hour roadside assitance, anyone have experience with them ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know anything about HRC 24/7 tow service but, I joined the origination in Oct 2003 and have not been able to get on the web site. I have used my login to ask for a new password 25+times, just doesn't work, they send a new password, it just doesn't work. Look at the web site, it would be easier to get in touch with the White House than HRC, the site provides no contact emails. The plastic membership card HRC sent does have a phone number which a recorder answers, leave a name and number and they will call back. Two of my calls have been returned from CA, after I have retired for the evening in TN. If you have another choice, I would say take it.
Doug

1 - 20 of 24 Posts