GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the GW scene as I just purchased my first Goldwing two weeks ago. (I've been riding since I was 14, mostly cruisers) I am currently going to do a trip from Dunnellon, Fl to Savanaha, Ga. I will be meeting a friend of mine (since high school) in Daytona Beach, Fl and we are going to ride up to Savanaha, Ga. I was wondering what (if anybody knows) is the best route to take. I mean, we are going to travel up US 1 and A1A from Daytona through Fernadina Beach, from there it looks like we have to take I-95 up to Savanaha. Does anybody have a better route? and if so, where and what to see along the way? Also, we are going to spend two days there, what would be a good ride to take once we are there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know, I know, newbies.... :D

Thanks,

Mark

G

·
When are you planning on heading up to Savannah?

I live in St. Marys, GA (just across the state line from Fernandina Beach). Pick up A1A in Daytona and ride along the ocean all the way to St. Augustine, FL. You have to go inland for a little ways but on the north side of St. Augustine you get back to the ocean. Very nice ride. You can take A1A to Jacksonville and pick up 3rd Street. That will take you to Atlantic Blvd. Once on Atlantic take it until you get to 9A. Take 9A across the big bridge (Dames Point Bridge) and travel about another 6 miles to pick up Hwy 17 again (there is a Dairy Queen on the right just after you get back on Hwy 17, just past McDonalds). Once you get in Fernandina Beach, head toward I-95 on A1A. In Yulee pickup Hwy 17 and take it north. In about 8 miles, you will pass under I-95. Another 4 miles to the Georgia state line. You can take Hwy 17 all the way to Savannah, GA. Most of the route is fairly nice (trees and shade), plus you get away from the crazies on I-95. You will drive through St. Marys, Kindsland, Woodbine, Brunswick and Darien (to name a few cities).

As far as things to do while in Savannah, can't help you out there. There is an Outdoor World in Savannah Mall and a Texas Roadhouse (great food).

Hope the weather is good for your ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ghost Rider. We are planning to leave on 9-22 and stay Friday and Saturday nights in Savannah. I know the route from Daytona to Fernadina Beach, we were planning to take the ferry across the St Johns and then continue up to Fernadina.

It was from Frenadina to Savannah I didn't quite know which way to go. I wasn't sure about Hwy 17 and didn't want to have to fight the crazies on I95. I appreciate the input and will go Hwy 17 into Savannah.

Once we are there, we were planning to do some sight seeing and maybe ride 17 to 170 to Port Royal Island and possibly cruise on up to Charleston. I have a new wing (my first) and I have a need to ride, plus I need to break her in.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
While in Savannah, go to the river walk! You can actually drive down there and just walk around. You have to have the St. Louis donuts, they are wonderful! River walk is a short walk and it is right on the river. Very relaxing...

Have a safe trip

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I thought that Savannah was a ghetto town. Then we took one of the trolly tours thru town. My first impression was totally whacked!! The town is rich in history, the home to the mother of Girl Scouts, Deena Paul(?) from the food channel, and was supposed to be burned right after Atlanta. Take the ride and get the lay of the land, then go enjoy the town. Echo circle is unique, fun, and free. The river walk is unique, a shopping district built in cotton warehouses. I can't help with the ride route, but I would certainly recommend Historic Savannah

·
Registered
195 Posts
There is also an ice cream place on the Riverwalk that makes the absolute best hot fudge milkshakes.... :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts