GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two GL1800 riders coming through Missouri from Minnesota to Eureka Springs next week to attend the Fayetteville Bikes, Blues and BBQ rally.

We'll have about 1.5 days riding to get from Iowa to Eureka Springs. And then a few days later we'll return another way.

Anyone got a great North - South route, from top to bottom. I have found numerous short routes listed on the web, and I can put them all together. But if anyone has an established route, I would seriously contemplate it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Take US65 all the way through Missouri. You will go through Springfield then Branson go 30 miles south of Branson you can catch 412 (Just north of Harrison Arkansas) take it west to Springdale Ar. Or take 71 south of Kansas City to Fayetteville.

·
Registered
246 Posts
:agree: I use 65 when going to Branson.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is 65 really the best to offer?

I don't mean the shortest route... I want the best route. I got two days to get from mpls to eureka. I know I can come down do 65 in one day.

I see highway 19 as a possible route, then turning west at mamoth springs.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
If you have the time take Hwy 9 into Arkansas in Mammoth Springs. Stay on it until it junctions with hwy 5 just North of Mountain View. At that junction pick hwy 14 West. Stay on that road until it junctions with hwy 27 in Harriet. Then pick up 27 into Marshall.

In Marshall pick up hwy 65 North to Western Grove and look for hwy 123 going West. Take that until it junctions with hwy 7. Turn North on 7 until it junctions with hwy 16. This hwy will take you into Fayetteville.

You will need considerable time to do this route. And if you do not like the twisties don't do it.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Take 160 east when you get through Springfield and go across Bull Shoals on the ferry, I think it is 125. 160 is a great riding road and once across the lake you can go a number of routes to get to your destination!

Take US65 all the way through Missouri. You will go through Springfield then Branson go 30 miles south of Branson you can catch 412 (Just north of Harrison Arkansas) take it west to Springdale Ar. Or take 71 south of Kansas City to Fayetteville.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
On paper US 63 doesn't look too bad. Northern Missouri is just not as hilly as southern Missouri. MO 15 looks even better.

On my many visits to Missouri and Arkansas MO Rt 19 is enjoyable, but it begins in the Hannibal area.

If I were you I would ride MO 15 south from Memphis, MISSOURI to Mexico, MISSOURI, MO 22 east to US 54 east to MO 19 south.

MO 19 is a very enjoyable ride, lots of curves and hills.

In Cuba, MISSOURI there is a Super 8 at the junction with I-44. It is very clean and convienent to this route. Downtown Cuba is the original Rt 66 as the its main street with nice restaurants to choose from.

Southbound from Cuba, MO 19 gets very enjoyable. Take it all the way to Thayer, MO, US 63 south to AR 9 south and then to US 412 west in Salem, AR.

Westbound US 412 is also enjoyable all the way to the Fayetteville area or you can peel off in Alpena on US 62 west which will take you right into Eureka Springs ( I love Eureka Springs).

Of course, you have to get through Iowa (yawn) to get to Memphis, MO and it looks like US 63 would be your best bet there.

Check your atlas with this suggestion and I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was our route.

We passed through Iowa fast, taking Hwy 27 through Cedar Rapids and Iowa center. Picking up Hwy 61/24. West of Hannibal off of Hwy 24 we picked up H. Now after running 4 lanes for most of the day, the short jaunt down H was a fun re-entry to the two lane roads, dropping us off onto HWY 19. Day one ended finding us in New Florence MO after 512 miles.

Today (Day 2) we stayed on Hwy 19 from New Florence to Thayer and then 63 into Mammoth Springs. After a short stop for Lunch and a quick glance at the spring and we were off on Ark Hwy 9 to 62, then we wimped out and stayed on 62 all the way to Eureka. We took a short detour trying to find the top of the ozarks. Never got to the tower, we think we found the road but we couldn't find any signs of it, or about it. The day ended after a respectable 400 miles.

Hwy 19 is fun. Lots of turns, and roller coaster type of roads. And what makes it even better is that its almost 200 miles of turns and roller coaster type roads. About the time my arms got tired of pushing, the road straightened out giving me a break, although the hills made me want to push the throttle to get the full roller coaster affect.. weee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts