GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably will trailer my bike from Alabama to Jacksonville where in-laws live.What is the best route from there hopefully missing major traffic in Miami.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Timing is everything. I rolled through Miami about 9 pm on a Monday. Never slowed down. Came back through around 9am on a Thursday and it was a bitch. Watch for the revenue generators on hwy 1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, if your not in a hurry...... I'd start in Jacksonville Bch on A1A south and US 1 south (you are back a fourth on these two roads, mostly on A1A). Stay on A1A and US1 all the way down to Stuart Fl, from there go south onto SR 76 (you don't want to continue on US 1 from here as traffic gets very congested the further south you go, horrible ride) and follow that till it dead ends into US 441, turn left onto 441 (south) and follow it around Lake Okeechobee.

US 441 will eventually turn east, at that point you want to take SR 715 south (this will be in a town called Pahokee) and continue on till you come to SR 80 in Belle Glade, take a right (west) on SR 80 to US 27 in South Bay, head south on US 27 through the glades, go under I75 until you come to SR 997 in Hialeah Fl, turn right onto SR 997 (south) (SR 997 is also known as NW 177th Ave) follow it through the glades till you come into Florida City, from there pick up US 1 and head for the Keys.

RECAP:

Jacksonville Beach to Key West 548 miles this route.

A1A and US 1 from Jacksonville takes you along the Beachs, a lot to see and do along the way, a great ride. You are mostly on A1A, where A1A quits it merges up with US1 then splits back off to A1A again. It does this all the way to Stuart.

SR-76 is a decent relaxing ride over to Lake Okeechobee.

US 441 and SR 715 take you along Lake Okeechobee and through some towns there.

US 27 and SR 997 take you through the Everglades, lots to see, fill up as often as you can through there as gas stations are a bit sparse.

Then of course US 1 to the Keys, nothing to explain there.

Hope this helps, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long will it take me to drive from Jacksonville to Stuart? I will probably stop for one night on the way down and Stuart looks like the logical place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
phil H said:
How long will it take me to drive from Jacksonville to Stuart? I will probably stop for one night on the way down and Stuart looks like the logical place.
Jacksonville to Stuart is roughly 275 miles so my guess just straight riding it would take you probably 3 to 4 hours. Stuart would be a good place to stop for the night. Plenty of resturants and you have the beach. Here's a link to Stuart Fl that will help you. Lists all you need to know about Stuart, hotels, night life, scuba, etc. etc. etc.

http://www.stuartfla.com/

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
just stay off the turnpike, it cost 30 bucks from ocala to miami

·
Registered
11 Posts
if time is of no concern shoot straight down a1a from jville to keywest....if time is of concern 95 south to i4 west to the turnpike south to us-1 in fla city is ur best bet....once in fla city theres only really 1 of two ways down either us1 or card sound road to keylargo.....from key largo down its pretty much 1-2 lane traffic the whole way down on us1

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Best directions? What Dirago said. I'm in Stuart. The best deal in town is the Best Western Downtown (formerly the Holiday Inn). All the island hotels are more like resorts and pricey. The Ramada and Howard Johnson's are so-so. I know where all the best restraunts are so send me a PM.
PS: The lovebug season is just about over so a messed up windshield is not a worry. Watch for gators and wild boar on 76 and 441.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts