GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants to go to Pennsylvania Dutch country this June Ca anybody give me a good route down from the Toronto Buffalo area I could take up to 3 days to get there. Any suggestions for good places to stay in the area would be appreciated as well

Thanks

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My wife wants to go to Pennsylvania Dutch country this June Ca anybody give me a good route down from the Toronto Buffalo area I could take up to 3 days to get there. Any suggestions for good places to stay in the area would be appreciated as well

Thanks
Peter,
You didn't mention if you want main highways or secondary roads..
I live about 5 miles from the Lancaster county line..
How long are you planning on spending in Lancaster county area ???
Do you want big name hotels ??
I have never stayed at this place but others that I know have,, It's actually refurbished railroad cabooses... Not sure what your looking for..
There are many, many hotel and motels in the Lancaster county area..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peter,
You didn't mention if you want main highways or secondary roads..
I live about 5 miles from the Lancaster county line..
How long are you planning on spending in Lancaster county area ???
Do you want big name hotels ??
I have never stayed at this place but others that I know have,, It's actually refurbished railroad cabooses... Not sure what your looking for..
There are many, many hotel and motels in the Lancaster county area..
I'd prefer not to be on major highways too much. I'm easy on hotels if there is something different than a standard chain thats cool

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Peter,
Just to start off with I'd take route #219 south out of N.Y. and catch
route 6 in Pa. and take that east... (we've traveled route 6 many time and love it.) you can take that over to Mansfield and take route 15 south to route 322 east. That will lead to to either route 72 south out route 501 south directly into the heart of Dutch country....
Depending on when you go in June we might be around and can help you out more. Just let us know...
I'll see if I can find a web site for the train motel and some others,

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Peter,
Just to start off with I'd take route #219 south out of N.Y. and catch
route 6 in Pa. and take that east... (we've traveled route 6 many time and love it.) you can take that over to Mansfield and take route 15 south to route 322 east. That will lead to to either route 72 south out route 501 south directly into the heart of Dutch country....
Depending on when you go in June we might be around and can help you out more. Just let us know...
I'll see if I can find a web site for the train motel and some others,
Great So far its looking like the week of the 22nd

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Peter, keep us posted as time gets closer,,, we are going to the Smokie mountian ride in the week before, so we should be home that week..
any more that I can help you out with,, let me know,,
I'll PM you our phone number,,

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gotta agree with Bill. Once you get past Buffalo 219 is a nice ride all the way down.

You could also look at crossing the Border at the other end of Lake Ontario, on I81 near Alexandria Bay NY. There are a couple of different ways to come down through the Adirondaks all of which should be nice rides, then down the Caskills and into the Poconos. That would be a nice ride for sure.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotta agree with Bill. Once you get past Buffalo 219 is a nice ride all the way down.

You could also look at crossing the Border at the other end of Lake Ontario, on I81 near Alexandria Bay NY. There are a couple of different ways to come down through the Adirondaks all of which should be nice rides, then down the Caskills and into the Poconos. That would be a nice ride for sure.
yea I love that ridw through northern NY

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Have to agree with Pop n Fresh about the route. Especially along the Susquehanna river, one of my favorite rides. We always stay with family when in Lancaster county so I can't recommend any motels. I would suggest that you avoid Lancaster city as it is not what it used to be. After you go to all the Dutch home style restaurants,[ make sure you try the scrapple] be sure to get a cheese steak at any of the sandwich shops. Lancaster cheese steak is better than Philly.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Have to agree with Pop n Fresh about the route. Especially along the Susquehanna river, one of my favorite rides. We always stay with family when in Lancaster county so I can't recommend any motels. I would suggest that you avoid Lancaster city as it is not what it used to be. After you go to all the Dutch home style restaurants,[ make sure you try the scrapple] be sure to get a cheese steak at any of the sandwich shops. Lancaster cheese steak is better than Philly.
Hey let's not leave out some homemade Sho-Fly pie and Ice cream...
And maybe even some good Pig Stomach for dinner....
We'll keep the scrapple for breakfast,, and that can be had at Shady Maple...
Best place to eat in Lancaster County...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ride to Pa

PopnFresh

From Buffalo

219 South to Hwy 6. Lots of construction late last year on 219.
No big time delays and mostly re surfacing so no torn up roads.
Watch the speed when entering towns.
We were stopped last year and nice man gave us a warning.

Beautiful ride.

Enjoy.

Franko:arrow:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey let's not leave out some homemade Sho-Fly pie and Ice cream...
And maybe even some good Pig Stomach for dinner....
We'll keep the scrapple for breakfast,, and that can be had at Shady Maple...
Best place to eat in Lancaster County...

Pig Stomach?
scrapple?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Pig Stomach?
scrapple?

OH YEAH !!!! Try it,, you'll like it...
Two of Pennsylvania Dutch finest foods.....:thumbup:
But they have to make just right.....
As a matter of fact, after talking about it, I'm now hungry for pig stomach.
So tomorrow I'll be calling my local country butcher and order one.
And one night this week I'll be stuffing it and it will make one wonderful
good supper...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Pig Stomach?
scrapple?
Peter,,
When you come down,, we'll see if we can hook you up with a homemake pig stomach meal.....
You'll want to start making them way up there where you are when you get home,

·
Registered
691 Posts
Pete,
The best place to stay in Lancaster is the Eden Resort (Best Western), has everything by it and places to eat on the grounds. Theres are many places to stay and plenty places to go. I would think Route 11/15 thru PA would be a nice road to come down on. I hope that helps.

Dennis

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do not ask what scrapple is made of. Just enjoy the flavor . Local breakfast treat all the way down to Delaware. We probably make it and send it to Pa. So much to do in lancaster. Check out the amish working their teams of horses.

Tom :doorag:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't forget about Shady Maple Smorgasboard at Rt 23 & Rt 897!!!
Nix Bisser! (Pa Dutch for none better)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Are PA Dutch yinz version of the Amish, or are they 2 totally different Breeds? "Our" Amish aren't allowed to cook. Just curious

Sorry for the hi-jack
At one time years ago, they were two different people,,but, somehow they have all become "the Amish"...
My family is from the coal regions (Shamokin) and we were concider Pa, Dutch. Most everyone up there could speak Pa. Dutch (slang German),, However as the "old folks" died off and the "young ones" didn't continue with the language, it seemed that the Amish who did and still do speak it, have become the only "Pa. Dutch" in this section of Pa....There are still a few "non Amish" around that carry the Pa Dutch name,, but, they're getting fewer and fewer every year....
Hope that answer the question from our part of the state,,,,,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts