GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the amount of information I learned out of a Thread on Oil, now I need to learn about plugs.
As you all know by now, I am new to Wings. I have never met smarter people than all my new Friends, that share my passion.........Goldwings.
I am going to change my plugs and have heard a lot about the NGK Iridium 3764 1X.
Is this a good plug?
Are there others?
Should I stay with Honda?

These are 1st grade questions, but I feel like a 1st grader sometimes.
Thanks so much guys and gals.
Msgt

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I installed them at the first plug change a while back. They come already gaped and suppose to last 4 times as long as regular plugs, but cost 4 times as much.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
Here is my take on it. Honda gives two excellent choices for brand. Both are easy to find and relatively inexpensive. Both work as well as anything you can get for the specified service life, by which time either will have some significant gap errosion and "rounding" of the electrode/anode edges. The spark plugs should likely be checked for gap and to "read" the combustion/ignition characteristics at the specified service intervals even if the plugs were the type that last much longer than OE. Thus, with the labor and effort to check the plugs combined with to the low cost of replacing the plugs with specified OE types; one would be money ahead to just use new OE type plugs every time to get crisp new edges and new crush gaskets. DO check the gaps on new plugs. DO NOT remove or install plugs in a warm aluminum head -- let it cool to room temp. I have found the Denso plugs on sale at AutoZone as low as 99 cents each. But, if teh special split and super duper plugs tickle your fancy; go for it.

prs

·
Love The DCT
12,018 Posts
Well, the amount of information I learned out of a Thread on Oil, now I need to learn about plugs.
As you all know by now, I am new to Wings. I have never met smarter people than all my new Friends, that share my passion.........Goldwings.
I am going to change my plugs and have heard a lot about the NGK Iridium 3764 1X.
Is this a good plug?
Are there others?
Should I stay with Honda?

These are 1st grade questions, but I feel like a 1st grader sometimes.
Thanks so much guys and gals.
Msgt
Can't go wrong with the OEM's.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Played games years ago with changing plugs on other bikes, usually with overheat issues. Yes, did use manufacturers chart too. OEM for me, knowing 100% design match. Price is so little for comparison.

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
I would just use the spark plugs that the Owners Manual suggests. Why waste your money. I don't think I have heard of anyone having problems with spark plugs in the Wing.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

I am getting over 100,000 miles out of a stock set of plugs, I just regap them ever 20 to 30 thousand miles and swap to the other polarity.

Two plugs on each coil, one will round off the anode, the other will round off the cathode, so I swap holes every time to keep an even burn.

JMHO :lol:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
The first question you need to ask yourself is "What is my riding style"? That will lead you to the plug that is right for you.

Honda specifically recommends three (3) different spark plugs depending on your answer to the first question and the ambient temperatures you do most of your riding in.

Personally, I do a lot of high speed riding. The vast majority of the 100,000 miles on my motorcycle are done at 70 to 85+ mph...
Honda recommends the BKR7E-11 (NKG) or K22PR-U11 (Denso) under those circumstances. Before I head out on a BBG or similar, I pop those babies in. Running 3,600+ miles in under 56 hours? You want this plug.

During the winter when I am just riding around like <normal> Honda recommends BKR5E-11 (NKG). I live in Maine and it gets cold. Perfect plug for short trips in cold weather. I run these starting around November and will pull them in April or May. If I do a midwinter trip to Florida, I pop the high speed plugs back in for the run south.

For regular trips to say, Dairy Queen or tooling around in a <rally> in reasonable weather, Honda recommends BKR6E-11 (NKG) or K20PR-U11 (Denso). I never need these ;)

Again, the proper spark plug selection is dependent on the conditions you will be riding in. Your motorcycle will probably run with just about any plug that you can screw into the head, as long as it is gapped right and the proper length. I prefer to use a more performance oriented approach.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Good Point from LD_RIDER. Since my riding is either A: less than 10 miles commuter OR B: 5000-6000 high speed road miles in 2 weeks or less, I have been pondering switching pugs for the road trips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts