GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm being lazy, and yes, I know it can vary, especially with our crazy weather these last couple of years, but I'd like to know what those who have experience know about the best time of year to ride the Beartooth Hwy. I'm more concerned with road conditions than than I am with temperatures.

From when to when is it usually open? Are there worthwhile views that might suggest going later, after the snow banks have melted, etc.?

TIA

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm not an expert on it by any means, I've been over it three times, all as it happens in early September.
The first time I ran into snow about a half mile before the summit and it ended about a half mile beyond the summit.
The second time its was cool, had rained, then one day later it snowed and they closed it.
The third time (last year) it was shirt sleeve weather.
I think its just a wildly unpredictable place but others will have more varied experience. I can tell you it was worth the trip though.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
We did it in the end of July.
The weather was perfect.
Still Ice at the highest elevations, but the roads were clear and dry.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The week AFTER labor day is great. The summer traffic is largely gone, but it is still pretty much summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beartooth

The best time is right now. I was up there Saturday, July 2. There is still snow but the highway is clear and in good shape. There is still construction around Beartooth Lake with possible 30 minute delays during the week. Just remember conditions at that elevation change rapidly. Also if you are not famaliar with the road take it easy. Even in the best weather conditions there is always a chance of rocks or other debris on the highway. Some areas have limited visibility. There is a lot of traffic. The ski school is open and lots of people are skiing other popular areas accessible from the highway.

This will probably be a short summer for that highway. Even so I would expect it to be open through August and possibly longer. I think you can check the Montana Highway Department website for current conditions.

If you make it out this way enjoy your trip. Wyoming and Montana have some great riding.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Right after Labor day, so the children are in school, and the cars are parked at work.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes, I'm being lazy, and yes, I know it can vary, especially with our crazy weather these last couple of years, but I'd like to know what those who have experience know about the best time of year to ride the Beartooth Hwy. I'm more concerned with road conditions than than I am with temperatures.

From when to when is it usually open? Are there worthwhile views that might suggest going later, after the snow banks have melted, etc.?

TIA
we rode it 2 weeks ago on wed and it was a little cold but not real bad no rain great ride, then on saturday rode it again this time from red lodge back and it snowed, rained and sleeted in different areas all the way accross

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies so far. If I make it up there, it definitely won't be until after Labor Day. I've got a bunch of desert to cross, so I don't want to go too early, and I always try to avoid vacation crowds anyway.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Beartooth

I was there the last week of September last year. Rode it from YNP to Red Lodge. Very nice ride up and across the top, but I could see a very soggy looking cloud down the east side. It was as wet as it looked and when I stopped in Red Lodge the locals gave me a better perspective. They thought it was snowing on top and probably closed, until I told them I just rode over. I think the 1st part of September would be my choice. Doesn't seem right to have to worry about dodging skiers.

Richard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Beartooth

I have been over Beartooth Pass seven times all between the last week of July and first two weeks of August. Weather has been good every time if you include rain. Have never experienced snow but it has gotten to temperatures in the 30's but very tolerable for the limited time you are at 9000'+-.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts