GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after thousands of miles of riding it finally happened. Ran over an object today and punctured the rear tire on my 03 1800. I had a grand total of 500 miles on the bike! I have looked several times at the tire plug kits for just a situation but I have never purchased one. I had to trailer the bike home because I couldn't get the tire to hold air . I don't believe in plugging and running a tire for a long distance My HIDE is to special to me for this but it would have been nice to be able to plug air and ride home or to get replaced which ever comes first. Am looking for some experienced expertise on the subject as to which is the plug kit to use. Also the bike had Dunlop Radials and they did a great job of allowing me to get slowed down and off the road without dumping the bike! It was completely flat by the time I got it stopped and off the road. Bummed over the tire being ruined but glad me and the bike are in one piece. No complaning here!!!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ditto to what Fred said.

Those work great,but I watch it close,because Motorcycle safty don't recomend plugging a tire or even patching it. The decision is up to you,I know a rider who got 3 nail in 3 different tires in one month,and he was so mad he did plug the last,and said the heck with it.I just got a book from shadetreepowersports.com and they sell tires with a road hazard policy free.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Yep, the sticky rope kind. Use plenty of rubber cement and do rough up the hole as instructed. Monkey Grip or Camel brands work for me. Buy a new tire when you get to civilization!

prs

ps: I have not had to plug my own MC tire for many years now; but I stopped to assist a fellow yesterday. He had plugged a pulled roofing nail hole and had used the glue and all just right; but was red faced mad that the plug would not hold air. It was not the plug at all, his tire bead had become loose from the rim! That is very common with flats that have been riden on some. If the bead is not sealed, it can be a PIA to get it to re-seat with just a slow hand pump or 12v pump. We had a gas station pump as that is where he had stopped. I mashed the tire against the rim while he popped the air to it. No problem and no bubbles at the cursed plug! His tire was already shot!

prs

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys, been there and done that with the sticky rope. It lasted a couple hundred miles before giving way. While at Wing Ding last year I saw a tire plugger kit that puts a plug in through the hole and then expands as you pull back on it. The air pressure keeps the plug very tight against the tire without worrying about it coming out. It has a special gun to insert the plug. Looks great! I have it and hope I never have to use it. I believe it cost less than $40.00.
Ride safe, Bobb

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Bobb
What is the name/model# of that plug kit that you got at Wing Ding?
Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fuzzy, you beat me to it. I had to go outside and open my trailer and open the tire plugger kit to get the information.
Thanks, Bobb

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Thanks guys. Appreciate the fast response.

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
Guys,

Stay away from the Stop an Go plug kit. The mushroom heads on them will shear off inside your tire after a few miles. I had two of them do this to me. Also, the insertion tool makes the hole even bigger when used and just about ruins the tire beyond any repair. I have talked to several other riders who have had similar problems with the mushroom heads breaking off and the plugs coming out. My advice is to stay away from this type of repair. While the plug gun looks like a slick device, in practice it just doesn't hold up.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Bobb said:
While at Wing Ding last year I saw a tire plugger kit that puts a plug in through the hole and then expands as you pull back on it. The air pressure keeps the plug very tight against the tire without worrying about it coming out. It has a special gun to insert the plug. Looks great! I have it and hope I never have to use it. I believe it cost less than $40.00.
Ride safe, Bobb
These kits are called "Stop 'n Go" Tire plugging kits.

I used my kit like this twice, and both times the plugs leaked. A waste of $40. Both times, a "sticky rope" kit that cost less than $2 outperformed this $40 kit.

It is a nice theory, but it isn't a reliable repair. Plus, what Fred said is correct... the plugging tool requires that the hole in the tire be stretched out to the diameter of a 20 penny nail. That's overkill when repairing a hole from a wire nail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys thanks for the feed back. I knew this would be the place to find out what I needed to know. I am going to get a plug kit to put in the bike and hope I never need it. It's hard to get to a place to get help if your tire won't hold air. You tend to think it will never happen to you until it does!!!!!.

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
I plugged a tire a couple years ago in western Utah in the desert, miles from nowhere and in 100 degree heat, riding two up. Had I not had a plug kit and portable pump, I would have been buzzard bait in no time. Got me over 1,000 miles to home, where I removed the tire and put a proper T patch in it and finished wearing it out. When I tried to pull the plug out from the inside, I couldn't as it had fused to the tire. It ended up sheading and coming out one strand at a time, after I pulled on it with pliers with nearly the whole weight of my body. This was one of the $4.00 Camel brand rope plugs. Been using them ever since, and have plugged many tires with them. Never had one fail.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Well I guess I'm the odd man out here, because I absolutely love the stop and go tire plugger. I've use these and others that were just like it for years and countless times. On cars, trucks and motorcycles and have never had the failures described or any other for that matter. When I say I have installed them countless times, I mean well over 200. I'm not looking to get into a spitting match here, so all I will say is that for me there is no other repair that I would prefer. And yes I have tried the rope style in various designs, no thank you.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have been hauling the Stop and Go plug gun around for over 10 years. I have used it twice in emergencies on GL1200. The plug held perfectly both times and held pressure until tire wore out. A less than reliable source has advised me that this system may not be good for newer radial tires but don't know for sure. I have also had the stickey rope plugs fail before I started using Stop and Go. For $4 it might be good idea to also bring back up in case the plug gun system fails in radial tire but Stop and Go will be the first one I try.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Whether you patch a tire to have the ability to ride back to civilization or patch a tire to ride it until the tire wears out, I think a person is foolish to not have a kit on board (along with a small compressor) for the unexpected emergency.

I've been to too many places where there is absolutely no traffic to flag down, or too far to walk to get help, and/or too remote to have any cell service to call for help. You always have the option to never use it, but if you don't have it and need it, your xxxxxx and out of luck. It's also too late to say, "gee, I wish I had one of those kits now."

Do yourself a favor and plan for the unexpected. Murphy works well in the real world.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Jw,
I was told the same thing when steel belted radials came out. It was suggested that the steel belt would sever the plug thus it would not work.
Once again I must say I've done it repeatedly and they have lasted the entire life of the tire. I won't argue that perhaps some have had bad experiences, but for me I would be inclined to find the installation suspect rather than the product.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts