GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best most sturdy trailer mount on the market, I am in the market for a new 2007 and I want to get a really good mount installed at delivery..

Thanks ,

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Bushtec is good. There are others also. I've got a Dauntless and it's a very sturdy hitch. From what I've seen of Rivco's, they're also very sturdy. HitchDoc is also a good one, although I don't know if they've gotten with the program yet and modified their hitch for 2004 and beyond. Lots of good hitches out there.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Matt,

Ditto what Bulldog said. Get the Bushtec wit the cooler rack. Don't know what we ever did without it. Makes it much easier to transport that Captain Morgan and Corona's :beer3:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Trailer Hitches

Matt,

The main key to your successfully pulling a trailer behind the Wing is to see where the trailer hitches are installed on the bike. Numerous hitches mount to the subframe of the Wing's saddlebags, with just one bar on each side connecting to the saddlebags' guard. The Wing's saddlebag' subframe is neither safe, nor secure to put up with the demands of pulling a trailer.

Bushtech and a few others are connected to the bike's main frame where you'd want all of your pulling forces to be, not the subframe. Just think of the amount of weight that you are supposed to put into the saddlebags, according to Honda. Would you want to pull your trailer with that?
I have installed a Bushtech on my Wing, and am very happy with their quality and most importantly with where it is connected onto the bike.

It is not in the way of removing your rear tire, and if you're not pulling your trailer, it's out of sight tucked away under the rear fender.

Good luck with your decition, and..............happy trailering.

Mike

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
BUSHTEC BEST HITCH AND TRAILER

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TBB said:
Matt,

Ditto what Bulldog said. Get the Bushtec wit the cooler rack. Don't know what we ever did without it. Makes it much easier to transport that Captain Morgan and Corona's :beer3:

Who amoung us can argue with that logic... Thanks everyone for your input.. looks like I will be makin a call to Bushtech!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :beer2: :beer3: :flg:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: Trailer Hitches

Italian Stallion said:
Matt,

The main key to your successfully pulling a trailer behind the Wing is to see where the trailer hitches are installed on the bike. Numerous hitches mount to the subframe of the Wing's saddlebags, with just one bar on each side connecting to the saddlebags' guard. The Wing's saddlebag' subframe is neither safe, nor secure to put up with the demands of pulling a trailer.
IS, You're just adding to an urban legend. How many folks pull trailers? How many have hitches other than bushtec? How many sub-frame failures have you seen posted here or heard of elsewhere? If what you say is true, there would be many accounts of this happening.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Wanderer,

If someone did mount their trailer hitch to their subframe and, for whatever reason, did have a failure with it, do you really believe that they would announce it here? Why, to be embarrassed by the rest of us for their mistake. If the subframe is so strong, why do you think Honda suggest that we put only 20 pounds in each saddlebag?

However, it's your money and of course you do what you think is best for you. I, on the other hand, would want the bike's main frame pulling my overloaded trailer when I'm towing it.

Best regards to you Sir.

Mike

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Italian Stallion said:
Wanderer,

If someone did mount their trailer hitch to their subframe and, for whatever reason, did have a failure with it, do you really believe that they would announce it here? Why, to be embarrassed by the rest of us for their mistake. If the subframe is so strong, why do you think Honda suggest that we put only 20 pounds in each saddlebag?

However, it's your money and of course you do what you think is best for you. I, on the other hand, would want the bike's main frame pulling my overloaded trailer when I'm towing it.

Best regards to you Sir.

Mike
Believe as you will. And, yes, I do believe folks would report sub-frame failures, regardless of embarasssment, just so other's wouldn't have to repeat their history. The sub-frame is pretty flimsy. When I bolted the supports of my Dauntless hitch to it, I knew I was making it stronger/stiffer rather than weaker.

C

·
0 Posts
Matt,

There are a number of good trailer hitches out there. Here on GL1800Riders you get a MUCH higher than average number of Bushtec fans than in the general GL1800 population (for a number of goofy reasons I won't bore you with). In spite of all the little Bushtec cheerleaders on this board Bushtec DOES make good stuff. But go to ANY big rally and you can and will see a much better sampling of what is actually in the "marketplace".

I researched a hitch VERY extensively and my choice came down to the Bushtec and the Rivco. The Bushtec weighs almost 3x more than the Rivco and (in my opinion) is AT LEAST AS strong, if not stronger. Hence my decision to go with Rivco.

And before I started looking into it I didn't think there were that many choices. However John Preston (the guy who runs Bushtec) was helpful in my search by pointing out to me the many manufactures of hitches. The nice thing is it's your decision to make. Take ALL advice (here and elsewhere) with alot of salt and personal research. Don't forget most people recommend and back WHAT THEY SPENT THEIR OWN MONEY ON. After all; is their really a nickels difference between Ford and Chevy? Just ask a Chevy (or Ford) owner for an unbiased opinion!!! GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
964 Posts
coolhand said:
The Bushtec weighs almost 3x more than the Rivco
First, I would like to say that I think Rivco and Bushtec both make an excellent hitch and I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of them.

After my list of hitches had been narrowed down to Rivco and Bushtec I spent some time examining both of them on bikes and in stores. I had heard that the Rivco was 3 times lighter and I like the corrosion resistance of aluminum, but I was nervous about cutting a hole in rear fender. I liked the fact that I could remove the rear section on the Bushtec and still be able to change my rear tire on the center stand.

Anyway, I have held both of these hitch assemblies in my hands and the Bushtec did not weight 3X as much as the Rivco. It does weigh a few pounds more, but when you compare apples and apples the weight difference is not 3X.

In the end I bought a Bushtec because I stumbled on a great deal and you know how cheap Wingers are.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bushtec

I gotta Bushtec because it came with a very kool mudflap. Not to forget the neat plug and play wiring. No slicing or dicing and the main power hooks up to the battery, so no fried wires or wimpy trailer lights.

Not saying that the other companies aren't as good, but I'm happy as a clam with my Bushtec. Pulls that humongous camper around with the greatest of ease. Helps a lot that it's attached to a GL1800 :lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I got a Bushtec hitch installed on my bike cause it came with such a cool trailer attached to it.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Matt,
When it comes time to select a trailer for your Wing, be sure to look "under its skirt" at the suspension.

Harsh suspension trailers are very hard on the Wing's fatigue sensitive aluminum alloy rear frame loops. What has been said in the threads above is correct about the hitch needing to be tied into the frame directly.

There are things you can tell about a trailer's suspension by simply pushing down on it. If it is like pushing on a brick, that should be self evident.

If it moves only an inch or so with quite a bit of force, then it is not very compliant, and will respond adversely to large bumps.

If the wheel moves forward when you push down on the trailer, it will be harsh in its response to bumps, because it is attacking the bump rather than retreating from it. Ideally it will move back when you push down.

If you can have a prospective trailer empty and attached to a bike that will not fall off the stand, first pull up on the trailer to see that even empty it is not at the top of its suspension. It should come up amost an inch from its empty static position so that it can go over ripple in the road empty without the wheel coming off the pavement and loosing traction. Next, step into the trailer and notice how far the suspension compresses. If it moves down a couple of inces and will go down father when you bounce in it, it is fairly compliant. If you can't get in the trailer, how hard is it going to be to load?

Your Wing has over 4 inches of travel in the rear suspension, and so should your trailer. Ideally, your trailer will have variable rate springs so that you do not have to adjust it when changing from empty to fully loaded.

The suspension technology, or lack of it, will not only impact the ride of the contents of the trailer, but more importantly, the stresses on your bike's rear frame.

There are many other features of a trailer to consider, including loading ease, durability, and the biggest one for long distance traveling, aerodynamic drag. Drag is not much of a factor for short slow trips. But, if you plan to do several hundred miles a day at Interstate Highway speeds, then elimination of drag is most important.

Your comment about a sturdy trailer mount alerted me to wonder what you may have in mind to load on the hitch. The Wing has enormous power, but using most of that power all the time to pull a harsh high drag trailer is not good for the bike, and certainly takes a lot of the joy out of the trip.

S

·
0 Posts
Nline is a great hitch - I got mine on ebay for under fifty bucks and it has the standard square receiver so you can build a nice cooler carrior for it also.
Snap to remove for tire changes too.
Bustec I guess are good but plan on lightning your wallet a bit.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Storm,
Did you happen to take photos while you were installing the hitch to show how it attached?

Do you know how much the N line hitch is from N liine?

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
storm said:
Nline is a great hitch - I got mine on ebay for under fifty bucks and it has the standard square receiver so you can build a nice cooler carrior for it also.
Snap to remove for tire changes too.
Bustec I guess are good but plan on lightning your wallet a bit.
It applies all tongue weight, stresses and forces to the aluminum subframe that the saddlebags and trunk mount to. Does not integrate into the main frame in any way, shape or form.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts