GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Lewis,

I would have guessed that but have not seen and N line hitch.

An easy to install hitch usually means it is superficially attached, and that means it does not attach to the primary frame.

It is not hard to help someone determine the technical merits of an item if there are good photographs, particularly where structure and load paths are concerned.

There are not very many good hitches for the GL 1800.

Trailers that have one wheel put torsional loading into the rear of the bike and that is all the more reason to have a very good tie in to the primary frame.

G

·
The Nline bolts to the frame but the receiver portion is attached to the subframe with four bolts so this part can be removed easily.
It's not rocket science and most hitches including bushtec attach in this manner.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Here is a photo I borrowed from Fred and added circles to show the attach points for hitches.

The arrows indicate areas that have had cracked welds and other cracks.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The design must have changed since I saw one at last years Wings Over The Smokies.

How are they attaching it to the bikes frame (the silver part-not the black subframe)? These photos don't show anything other than what I previously saw.

·
Registered
700 Posts
storm said:
The Nline bolts to the frame but the receiver portion is attached to the subframe with four bolts so this part can be removed easily.
It's not rocket science and most hitches including bushtec attach in this manner.
The Bushtec Hitch and the N-Line hitch are not similar in any respect as it relates to mounting. The N-Line hitch has no frame mount, only subframe. The Bushtec is a 4-point frame mount with no subframe attachment.

There are basically three engineering approaches to the GL1800 trailer hitch.

One design mounts the hitch to the Saddlebag/Trunk subframe. Honda designed the Saddlebag/Trunk subframe in aluminum with a component weight of 6 pounds and a burden rating of 40 pounds. Attaching the hitch to the subftame as a burden point is the weakest design and could cause structural fatigue over time to the subframe and/or the frame cross members due to the constant "working" of the subframe from the hitch and tralier/carrier related burden.

A second design attaches at two lower frame mounts with the burden point remaining mounted on the subframe. From an engineering point of view this design is only marginally better than the first design.

The best design is where the hitch has a minimum of four FRAME mounts distributing the burden directly to the frame without any subframe involvement other than stabilizing laterial movement. This design places all traler hitch and related dynamic burden onto the frame, eliminating any concern for longterm structural concerns.

Finally, The price of a GL1800 hitch may include value added extras such as Electronic Isolator Relay Package, Stainless steel ball, hitch head locking mechanism or other items which justify a higher retail price. A trailer hitch is not an item that should be bought simply because it is the lowest price. The trailer hitch buyer MUST evaluate the application the hitch will be put to and then buy as much hitch as one can afford.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lewis,

You are correct about the attachment of the N-Line hitch. It attaches to the rear subframe with U-bolts and to the saddlebag/muffler mount subframe with longer bolts. I know this because I helped an N-Line dealer do his first installation of this hitch on my Goldwing. I will probably replace the N-Line trailer hitch with either a Rivco or Bushtec.
Tom Finch, if you want to look at the N-Line hitch I'll be happy to drop by your trailer facility (just need directions on how to get there from Universal City or a Bulverde street address to plug into my GPS).

Ed W.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Ed,
I am in and out much of the time but if you come up 3009 to the north end and turn left on 46, then right on 311 to the end of that, then north a few hundred yards on 281 and left on Spring Branch Road. About 3.1 miles down Spring Branch Road you will have crossed the high curving bridge across the Guadalupe. Turn right on Old Spring Branch road off of the Low end of the bridge. We are at 6929. 830-885-7588.

It would be eaiser the next time you have your bike in for service and it is on a lift.

I will be at the Harrisoin, Arkansas Gathering this weekend. I appreciate your offer to come all that way, but it is really to understand what that hitch is about for answering questions such as this one.

You have already told us what we need to know. I would have been surprised if one of the Prestons did not already know this pretty well.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
aht_six said:
coolhand said:
The Bushtec weighs almost 3x more than the Rivco
First, I would like to say that I think Rivco and Bushtec both make an excellent hitch and I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of them.

After my list of hitches had been narrowed down to Rivco and Bushtec I spent some time examining both of them on bikes and in stores. I had heard that the Rivco was 3 times lighter and I like the
corrosion resistance
If aluminum doesnt corrode what is that black CRAP we clean off the front & rear wheels.......chuck ....................................................of aluminum, but I was nervous about cutting a hole in rear fender. I liked the fact that I could remove the rear section on the Bushtec and still be able to change my rear tire on the center stand.

Anyway, I have held both of these hitch assemblies in my hands and the Bushtec did not weight 3X as much as the Rivco. It does weigh a few pounds more, but when you compare apples and apples the weight difference is not 3X.

In the end I bought a Bushtec because I stumbled on a great deal and you know how cheap Wingers are.
:oops:

·
Registered
975 Posts
Bushtec makes a great hitch, and not too tough to install. Just take your time and follow the directions. Many on this board have service manuals and will provide all the on-line support you will need. The best teaching tool you will find is another rider with a trailer hitch installed. Lay on the ground and take a look at his bike.

The wiring harness is a completely different beast. If you haven't picked out a trailer you might wait until then to start the wiring. Trailer wiring is not consistent from mfg to mfg. You wont want to do that twice.

G

·
Iam not sure who wrote what but.
corrosion resistance If aluminum doesnt corrode what is that black CRAP we clean off the front & rear wheels.......chuck
That black crap, if it is loose is brake dust and if it is not you are rubbing off oxidation which can result in corrosion if you leave it long enough, like years. It is just like the deposits left on your fingers or wrists with a steel ring or copper bracelet. Real or advanced corrosion on aluminum is very visible and you probably will never see it unless you own an all aluminum airplane from about 1946. It is usually in splotches and actually raises the surface, like advanced rust on steel. The guy did not say aluminum does not . . . just that it is resistant and it is, very!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Guys. I'm finally posting to this forum after having hung out as a guest for a couple of months. I've really enjoyed the advice, good tips, and general good fellowship among you, er, I mean, us Goldwing owners.
As far as trailer hitches go, I've wrestled with what a good hitch was for some time. I finally settled on the Kuryakin hitch after receiving advice from a fellow who works at the local dealership and who owns an '03 GL1800 with one. I, also, saw another Goldwing here in my neck of the woods sporting a Kury hitch and it looked good. I, also, got it, because I have the cool looking Kury mud flap, and the hitch integrates well with it.
I've just begun pulling my trailer with it, no problems so far.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
It is really too bad that we do not have all the hitches installed and photographed in detail with the plastic removed. It would be quite easy to analyze load paths visually in this manner.

Bodywork is pretty to look at, but hides technology, good or bad, from our eyes.

This is not only true for the hitches, but the trailers also. If all the trailers were to be seen running down the road naked, there would be many minds changed about this or that unit.

The Wing itself, would be even a bigger marvel if we could see its technnology in a naked format. There are so many marvelous pieces of technology in the Wing that even if they were described, most would not understand.

A kinship.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
jwmavity.....Based on? There are a few good hitches out there, what makes bushtec the best or is this just your opinion?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
eagle eye.. I accept opinion.. I have the Rivco, the hitch where you can remove the hitch with one pin and replace the reflector as if it was never there. Pers I like that feature, but I'll be damned if i'll blow smoke up someones arse saying its the best if I can't give some stats indicating same. In my case I like the features of the rivco and I mentioned why, thats all I have, anythign beyond would be total BS.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I put the RIVCO on my bike last week. I didn't really like the idea of cutting a hole in the fender, until I saw the RIVCO offered different length ball draw bars. You can get a zero, 3 inch or 6 inch drop. This allows the trailer to ride level. RIVCO also has an aluminium ball that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gents,
I installed a Bushtec V2 on my 01 just last Sunday. While I know it's in my future, at this point I don't care to tow a trailer as much as I want to be able to attach an ice chest / luggage / golf clubs / camping gear / what have you rack. After installing the receiver and seeing first hand the means and methods to frame mount the V2 hitch, I know my primary concern will be distribution of weight and not capacity of the hitch. I'm not familiar with other products but after tightening all the connections I am certain of this one. Bushtec is the best choice for my purpose. It leaves me free to worry about the more important things.
An added plug while I'm at it if you don't mind: I ordered a rack from Al at http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories.com/ . He worked with me (even modified a stock dimension) to get me exactly what I needed. He's got a creative product line and a good attitude! MHO :lol:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts