GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
dnifong said:
Whats the best location and plug for a 12v receptical "radar detector"?

Dale,

I have an '06 and the left glove box is the best place as there is a hot plug behind that pocket to plug the 12 volt receptacle in.

I am running a second one for my Sat/MP3 radio over to the right glovebox since it is locked. I needed a cig adapter and RS had one for $7 to accomodate my needs. Took power and neutral from the battery via a aux. power panel that is switched.

Cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
12 Volt

Dale,

I originally had the HONDA 12Volt plug installed in the corner of the left glovebox (done by the dealership) when I got the bike since there is a plug for power.....(totally plug and play no splicing)

I needed a second one and bought the Radio Shack one today for my Sat/MP3 player which I will place in the locked right hand side glovebox.

So now the one in the left glove box won't be used.

Cheers,
:p

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
another great place is in the trunk. That one stays hot. Good place to charge up an I-pod or phone while you're parked during a meal or whatever. Also gives you an outlet at the other end of the bike. Very easy install. Plug and play.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
sammisgrammy said:
lenny........Lewis has a plug and play outlet that worked great on the 05. While you have it apart consider his led light setup. Both are very convenient
Ed, who is Lewis ? and where can I get the info on the parts you have mentioned?
Thanks again!

Stay away from the chocolate :wink:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
icing777 said:
Oldguy,
where the one in the back plugs in? Is there a "plug and play"
connector like behind the left pocket?
Thanks!
I bought a outlet /lighter with a along power cord & a rubber cover ..Mounted it in the trunk it is hot all the time..Used a 15 amp fuse so I can run my compresser....chuck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok,

I hate to admit it but you guys are talking a little over my head.

I need to plug in a radar detector. Is the left pocket the best place?
What's the basics with the install?

The rear plug does sound like a good idea :?

thanks again,
Dale

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yes. there's a 12VDC plug in there. probably got a black wire and a green wire with black stripe if memory serves. From Electrical connection you can get these connectors(that fit the bike connector) and clip off the Cigarrette lighter portion of the plug from the Radar detector(i'm assuming that's what it is) and place a connector on it that plugs into the bike connector. Much more compact and dirt free. Also you can get several connectors and make a pigtail(chain) from the original 12V output for hooking up more devices later....mp3, satellite, phone charger, etc.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Does anyone know what the left pocket 12v connector is fused at?... 5 amps or maybe 10 amps?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
dnifong said:
Ok,

I hate to admit it but you guys are talking a little over my head.

What's the basics with the install?

The rear plug does sound like a good idea :?

thanks again,
Dale
I am like Dale in needing help as I want to install some outlets where I can plug in things like heated gloves, GPS, etc. I don't mind admitting that you are talking over my head, just mind that I don't have experience or expertise at doing this kind of stuff. A number of things that are mentioned by you good help people are foreign to me.

Thanks for the help thus far. I will take a look at the left pocket and the trunk to see if I can better understand what you mean. At least I know where to return for more help. I am very pleased to find that the members on this board are just as helpful and generous with their expertise as those I have interacted with on the VTX boards.

As the younger generations say, you GW'rs rock! :D 8)

Todd (you can tell a newbie every time. :oops: )

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
There are two plug ins under the liner in the trunk lid. One is for the spoiler, and the other is probably intended for the lighted mirror. It is indeed plug and play and will accept either the Honda or in my case the electrical connection plug. If for one wanted one that would take a little more load than the honda plug. Very easy install. remove the screws, one quick hole to drill. position is fairly obvious as there is only space in one area. plug it in. Removing the liner is the longest part of the job, 2 or 3 minutes.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hey "Molar Man" (aka "oldguy"), thanks for the info. I appreciate you taking time from what must surely be a busy schedule to write. I am getting so much good stuff and terrific suggestions. :D 8)

Todd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts