GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my '04 Quantum the previous owner kept the on board compressor. What is the best way to handle the air requirements for the shocks? My shop compressor has 160psi at the outlet so I am afraid to use it. I have a Slime compressor that I carry on the bike that has never been opened. Are there any good hand pumps that would work well and could be carried in the trailer? What is the normal pressure that I would be running in the system most of the time? (Don't have the owner's manual in front of me as I type this.)

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
First thing, don't go anywhere near that thing with your shop compressor. You can use your Slime compressor without any problems, or Bushtec has a high volume/low pressure hand pump. I use a Cambell Hausfield 12v pump. The pressure in the shocks depends on the load. I run mine anywhere between 35 and 55lbs depending on what I'm hauling. On a trip, I usually set it and forget about it unless I add a bunch of weight or I notice the tires coming in at the top of the wells. The tires should be tilted out just a little at the tops from the bottoms to be set correctly. If you call Bushtec, I'm sure they'll have an Owners Manual for you.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hand pumps, get one that reads up to 100psi. I have the Bushtec hand pump, it works fairly fast maybe 30-60 seconds to air all the way up.

On amazon for $40
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Suspension-Hand-Pump/dp/B002OKK4QO[/ame]

Bushtec has one for $60
http://www.bushtec.com/product-p/99412000.htm

EC air system for $300

I agree with rocket, do not use your home compressor. The Bushtec air shocks

are a low volume high pressure system.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,001 Posts
I got my air pump from my local bicycle shop. Any air pump used for bicycle suspensions will work.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
On the Quantum the tires should be straight up and vertical...not tilted in or out

I pump up the suspension to have the wheels cambered out on top....load our stuff, release pressure to straighten the wheels and off we go...no need for any further adjustment

YES...you CAN use a shop air compressor...just set the regulator to a low enough pressure...set to 60psi and let 'er go...no problems as you cannot over pressurize

It is really simple to set and go

Only trips we need to reset the pressure is when we load up with cases of wine...of course that requires careful repacking as it would on any trailer to get the load levelled correctly

Contrary to what some...or on person inparticular may say...it is a great unit and we have pulled for many happy, care free miles and smiles

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone, for your help. I just ordered the Progressive hand pump from Amazon. That should be easier than hooking up the Slime every time. Now if I can get my bike back together and this 108 degree Texas weather will cool off some, I'll get some riding in.

Regards
Doug

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had to use the little hand pump one time the whole time I pulled a Bushtec. Pretty much every time we used it, we took mostly the same load I guess. I would air it up to 35lbs of air with the shop compressor and hit the road. That was out magic number to set the tires perfectly where they needed to be. One time the wife found a case of Jelly she just had to have, and it was heavy. I had to pump it up to like 39lbs. LOL Now you can over air it with shop air if your not careful. Just go easy on it and give it short bursts and measure.
The direction say to load and then air up and then you pull it forward a bit and then back up check the the angle of tires if straight up and down ok if not add a little more air and repeat direction. I do this on ours and it works.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I got the owner's manual with the trailer. I just didn't have it in the house when I started this thread.

Thanks
Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts